Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The Definitive Sound-Deadening Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Damplifier. There is no comparison.
I went with RAAMmat BXT 60. I did the front doors, rear deck and trunk lid.

I'm going to do the rear doors and trunk next.

Don, sorry I balked on the CAE stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Black Lion

I used some Dynamat Original today for my trunk spare tire area. This stuff is straight up garbage compared Dynamats Extreme brand. Its not nearly as tacky or durable. If anyone is going with Dynamat then go with all Extreme.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Progress
I went with RAAMmat BXT 60. I did the front doors, rear deck and trunk lid.

I'm going to do the rear doors and trunk next.

Don, sorry I balked on the CAE stuff.
No problem, although I wish I at least got a chance to send you a sample. It would have changed your mind quickly !
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I used some Dynamat Original today for my trunk spare tire area. This stuff is straight up garbage compared Dynamats Extreme brand. Its not nearly as tacky or durable. If anyone is going with Dynamat then go with all Extreme.
Ahh Lenny, I thought you had Extreme. Yes the asphalt original is pure crap. Better off with peel and seel from depot.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 AM

i just did my car with fatmat and its working great on my rear deck and on my doors but my trunk lid is still rattling like a tin can! i put 2 layers down to help but its not, any suggestions? don whats that stuff you speak of? also one note is i think my trunk rattles a lot because 1. my spoiler tabs broke on one side and u get rattle from that(bought the car like that) 2. now my trunk wont open with the remote so i tried something (lol i know) and so it doesn't fully close if that makes sense so those things contribute to the rattling
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Ahh Lenny, I thought you had Extreme. Yes the asphalt original is pure crap. Better off with peel and seel from depot.
Yeah Im definitely going to rip this crap out luckily I didn't get very far in the trunk just added two pieces and I was like WTF is this garbage. Don I need some of this Cascade Vb2 I believe you used it in my front doors. I guess I need 50 sq ft to finish trunk spare tire area and perimeter and also rear deck top and bottom. Trunk Lid is Done Dynamat Extreme is good stuff.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM

dont really like doing these things so what retail shop do you would do this stuff for me
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Suspension Yoda

Any audio shop should be skilled enough to put deadening down.

Too bad you're not closer to kpr10is or slickrick.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Fenton3030
dont really like doing these things so what retail shop do you would do this stuff for me
Try doing it yourself. The labor costs are going to really cut into the feasibility of the project. You'd be surprised at how efficient you can get on apply the deadener after a few short hours. It just takes time.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, could someone help me how to get my ipod/iphone connected on my Nissan Maxima 2004 SE? What parts i need and it is possible to connected on the SAT option that i don't use?? thx.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Suspension Yoda

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127AAIN...i+nis2&tp=1672

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11...n&tp=120&avf=N

Though you may want to call to confirm which fits.

Next time, post in the right thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

is fatmat pretty decent?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay i cant start new threads for some reason so i hope you guys dont mind me asking this here but i have an 06 maxima wit the armrest elite package thing in the rear. how do i remove the rear deck so i can apply sound deadening on it?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Suspension Yoda

Because you don't have enough posts. Remove rear seats, remove c-pillars, lift deck.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Because you don't have enough posts. Remove rear seats, remove c-pillars, lift deck.
how do i remove the rear seats? are the elite package seats any harder to get out?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

Are those the bucket seats? I've never done a 6th gen with the elite package.

I'm sure its the same principle. Feel under the lower part of the seat for some pull tabs, remove lower seat to reveal the bolts for the backrest part.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Are those the bucket seats? I've never done a 6th gen with the elite package.

I'm sure its the same principle. Feel under the lower part of the seat for some pull tabs, remove lower seat to reveal the bolts for the backrest part.
Thanks so much finally was able to get the rear deck out I didn't realize the bottom parts of the seats has pull tabs on them. It was pretty much the same way cept you have to unbolt the back part of the arm rest that opens the ski port. The thing that was causing all the rattle was the rear sunshade bracket. It's a long piece of metal that is bolted on each side but there's no support in the middle so it flexes up and down and rattles. Stuffed a strip of styrafoam in the middle and taped it down with duct tape to keep it from bouncing up. Then sound deadened the entire decklid with fatmat xtreme 80mil. Then poked out the holes for the rear deck clips and stuffed a bag of polyfill under the rear deck lid all around. It went from useless bass cause it rattled so much to clean clear bass that sounds amazing. It looks ghetto as hell but no one can tell as long they never open the deck lid again.

Last edited by 06maxxedmax; 07-22-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Suspension Yoda

Cool, nice job.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Toolie

Hey guys, I want to reduce road noise and engine noise, but don't want to add a ton of weight to the car. I don't need it so quiet that I can hear a pin drop, but it would be nice if my headers and exhaust were a little quieter in the cabin. Just wondering if fatmat all over the floor would do the trick for now. I may go with boom mat because I can get a better price than ebay because it wouldn't have to be shipped.

Or I'm thinking of getting the DEI stuff that goes under the car and put that in the exhaust tunnel.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

Floor, wheel wells and roof would do a lot for road noise. But if you want to reduce engine noise you'll have to address the firewall.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Toolie

Well, if the floor carpeting is removed I should be able to do half the firewall? I don't want to rip the dash out.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Suspension Yoda

Ya, that would give you some visibility.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Hey guys, I want to reduce road noise and engine noise, but don't want to add a ton of weight to the car. I don't need it so quiet that I can hear a pin drop, but it would be nice if my headers and exhaust were a little quieter in the cabin. Just wondering if fatmat all over the floor would do the trick for now. I may go with boom mat because I can get a better price than ebay because it wouldn't have to be shipped.

Or I'm thinking of getting the DEI stuff that goes under the car and put that in the exhaust tunnel.
www.cascadeaudio.com or waste money or the others.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Toolie

I guess I should have mentioned I am on a budget. LOL, But there is a guy not too far from me selling 42 sq feet of vb2 which is very cheap considering the prices I've seen on the net.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 08-01-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Suspension Yoda

If you're on a budget then don't get anything at all until you can afford decent product. Don't do it just for the sake of doing it, because all you can afford is a mediocre product. You WONT be happy in the end.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Toolie

Well, from what I have read on the cascade site, I would probably need the 3 pack of vb-2, just for my doors, then at least that much more for the rest of the car. and probably the vb-3 for the tranny tunnel. That's a lot of cash.

I think I would prefer to use the light vb-2 everywhere even the floor and trunk due to the light weight. Now since I am on a budget, and I can get a 3 pack from a local guy pretty cheap (he bought too much and is selling the extra 3 pack) I'm thinking I'll grab this 3 pack for now and install it. When I save up more cash I'll buy more and install it. So would I be better using it for the 4 doors? Or should I put this first batch on the floors?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM

sound

Well, from what I have read on the cascade site, I would probably need the 3 pack of vb-2, just for my doors, then at least that much more for the rest of the car. and probably the vb-3 for the tranny tunnel. That's a lot of cash.

I think I would prefer to use the light vb-2 everywhere even the floor and trunk due to the light weight. Now since I am on a budget, and I can get a 3 pack from a local guy pretty cheap (he bought too much and is selling the extra 3 pack) I'm thinking I'll grab this 3 pack for now and install it. When I save up more cash I'll buy more and install it. So would I be better using it for the 4 doors? Or should I put this first batch on the floors?
it depends on where your most problem area is, if its wind noise start on your doors and pillers, if its exhuast start on your floor,i personally have always run dynomat extreme, one of my cars is completely covered in 2 layers of it, i can hear an aint fart, its a bit overpriced but i feel they results are worth it
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Toolie

i'm trying to keep weight down, I like to go to the track, so double or triple layer of stuff is out of the question
Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Anyone know if this Zilla-Mat stuff is any good? They actually send a sample of Dynamat with the purchase so you can compare. It IS on eBay so not sure of the quality.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Would I be better off with RAAMmat II everywhere or RAAMmat BXT and double-up in certain areas? Going to top it off with the Ensolite MLC unless I find another solution I like better.

Also, if I do the floor will I be able to re-use my carpet or will I trash it getting it out?

Last edited by dtfstock; 10-04-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM

I have over 300' of 80 mil mat in the car and still have to add mat in places to stop all of the rattle
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Anyone know how to remove a 2007 maxima rear deck?

I know there is a rattle coming from the trunk when the car's at a constant speed.
I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, It sounds like it's from the rear deck..
somewhere between the rear speakers..
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Suspension Yoda

Remove the rear seats and C pillars. It just unclips after that.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:29 AM

well here i answered some of my questions with research. cool.

ANYWAY, i have some more questions. I'm really only looking to reduce road noise here, don't care much about audio as the factory Bose is good enough for me. eDead: does it suck? I'm lookin' at about 60-70sqft for all four doors and perhaps the wheel wells and perhaps the rear seat if any is left to quiet highway noise a bit. For eDead 45, that's like 60-70 dollars plus shipping which is Not Bad At All. I realize it's probably not the same quality as Raammat but it's half the price and I'm not looking for audiophile quality here, just quiet.

The other thing is that a lot of these companies claim dampener isn't going to help with road noise and then try to sell their foams, like the Ensolite on the Raammat site. Can I just buy that instead of dampener and will it kill the road noise? Or should I use both? From what I've been reading, it sounds like everyone besides the manufacturers of this stuff says that the dampener on the doors will really quiet road noise a lot, even without the foam.

So: eDead 45 - does it suck? And can I just use Ensolite instead of bothering with the damper? Also, anyone used jute under the carpets to shut things up a bit?

TIA

Last edited by j-dawg; 05-29-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 PM

I have always been a fan of Dynamat Xtreme because of its ease of installation and it longevity. I personally am into car audio probably more than the average guy and have seen numerous sound deadening products fail. In my humble opinion, NEVER and I mean NEVER use the spray on stuff. Unless some new product has come out that I am unaware of this stuff is messy and it simply doesn't work. Over time you will realize this as it starts to fall off and then in order to take it all off? you better free up your day. I have Dynamatted the top and bottom of my 4th gen's rear deck, the entire trunk lid, driver and pass. side front and rear doors. Dynamat is a very nice product and albeit expensive, it does what it says and it readily available at both Walmart and best buy. For people reading this thread and thinking of installing sound deadening material in their Max. In my opinion, the best places to start is where you put your aftermarket speakers. If you install components or coaxials in your doors then deaden the doors with the install. If you put a sub/amp combo in the trunk the deaden the trunk lid first. Hope this helps out and adds to the threads value.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
well here i answered some of my questions with research. cool.

ANYWAY, i have some more questions. I'm really only looking to reduce road noise here, don't care much about audio as the factory Bose is good enough for me. eDead: does it suck? I'm lookin' at about 60-70sqft for all four doors and perhaps the wheel wells and perhaps the rear seat if any is left to quiet highway noise a bit. For eDead 45, that's like 60-70 dollars plus shipping which is Not Bad At All. I realize it's probably not the same quality as Raammat but it's half the price and I'm not looking for audiophile quality here, just quiet.

The other thing is that a lot of these companies claim dampener isn't going to help with road noise and then try to sell their foams, like the Ensolite on the Raammat site. Can I just buy that instead of dampener and will it kill the road noise? Or should I use both? From what I've been reading, it sounds like everyone besides the manufacturers of this stuff says that the dampener on the doors will really quiet road noise a lot, even without the foam.

So: eDead 45 - does it suck? And can I just use Ensolite instead of bothering with the damper? Also, anyone used jute under the carpets to shut things up a bit?

TIA
Instead of going with the cheap stuff I would go to best buy and buy Dynamat Xtreme. You can price match it to Sears or Walmart and lower the price as well. This stuff works, plain and simple. Instead of double layering the cheap stuff and it still not working, why not single layer good stuff in critical areas to save money? There are certain areas that are more important than others. The doors and the trunk lids will not only lessen road noise but also keep the music inside of the car where you want it, which is an advantage of sound deadening that most people forget.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2THEMAX98
i just did my car with fatmat and its working great on my rear deck and on my doors but my trunk lid is still rattling like a tin can! i put 2 layers down to help but its not, any suggestions? don whats that stuff you speak of? also one note is i think my trunk rattles a lot because 1. my spoiler tabs broke on one side and u get rattle from that(bought the car like that) 2. now my trunk wont open with the remote so i tried something (lol i know) and so it doesn't fully close if that makes sense so those things contribute to the rattling
Don't forget the plastic lid behind/around the license plate holder in the trunk. I stuffed mine from behind with double-sided foam tape and that took care of ALL my rattling.

A nice, budget solution for you may be to get the firewall insulation pad off a BMW/Mercedes at a boneyard. They are very thick and have that aluminum layer on the surface. Extremely effective. Hopefully not that hard to cut it to fit on your firewall.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM

CDL Tiles. YES or NO? I got no results when I searched here.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Toxic!
CDL Tiles. YES or NO? I got no results when I searched here.
Good question. The short answer is YES, imho.

This guy (Don Sambrook at http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products) seems to know. He uses different products to deal with the three key issues:
  • CDL tiles to control panel vibration.
  • MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) to block airborne noise.
  • CCF (Closed Cell Foam) to isolate rubbing parts and to eliminate rattles.
I am trying to figure out: Do products like Dynamat (or Damplifier/B-Quiet/etc.) solve all three problems? My guess is that they do reduce vibration and perhaps rattle, but that they do not help with Airborne Noise.

So, to answer you question: I think Dynamat is a CDL-like product but perhaps it does a bit more.