Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 03:04 PM
White_lightning

i have an 98 infiniti I30 ( i know. its not a maxima. but close enough). I wanted to hard wire my
radar like i did in my previous trans am. but i have a problem. .. i cant find one damn opening
to pull the dash apart.. in my TA it was simple.. gaping holes everywhere.. the i30. NOT A
DMAN CHANCE>.... where can i get power from? and how do i get into the centerconsole
where the cig ligher is with out breaking the pannels?

also.. i wanted to do a stereo. but i cant see a grommit from the engine bay to the passanger
compartment. Do i need to drill a hole? or is there one i can use? thanks in advance
d.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by White_lightning
i have an 98 infiniti I30 ( i know. its not a maxima. but close enough). I wanted to hard wire my
radar like i did in my previous trans am. but i have a problem. .. i cant find one damn opening
to pull the dash apart.. in my TA it was simple.. gaping holes everywhere.. the i30. NOT A
DMAN CHANCE>.... where can i get power from? and how do i get into the centerconsole
where the cig ligher is with out breaking the pannels?

also.. i wanted to do a stereo. but i cant see a grommit from the engine bay to the passanger
compartment. Do i need to drill a hole? or is there one i can use? thanks in advance
d.
Does it run off 12VDC? If so, any chance you can cleanly run a wire to the fuse box found on the driver's side foot area?

For a stereo, you should be able to use the stock wire harness. If you want to add an amp, that's a different story.
Old 05-25-2001, 06:41 AM
White_lightning

yeah.. it runs off 12V.. lemme check for the fuse box and see if i can get a wire there.. but then i need to find a ground this was much easier in my trans am.. gaping holes everywhere

Old 05-25-2001, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by White_lightning
yeah.. it runs off 12V.. lemme check for the fuse box and see if i can get a wire there.. but then i need to find a ground this was much easier in my trans am.. gaping holes everywhere
Look for the ignition fuse and tap into the "ignition side" of it vs. the "battery side." Then the radar detector will power off when you turn off the engine...
Also, you can attach the ground to the chassis...so find a good place, scrape off some paint to expose the bare metal... and voila...