Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

An idea for removing alternator whine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 AM

An idea for removing alternator whine?

Hey guys, I got some advice from a person on how to remove alternator whine from my stock head unit to the amplifier to the speakers, basically I'm getting noise from my high-low converters to the amplifier input. This person told me that if I added a wire from the outside of the RCA cable to the amplifier housing, as a means of grounding the RCA cable. Now I just need to know what to do...

See where the black line that I drew, is that where I somehow attach a wire and then take that wire and attach it to the housing of tha amp? Also, instead of attaching it to the housing of the amp, is it ok if I plug the wire into the battery ground terminal for the amp? Or is that just for the power wires?

Please help.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:35 PM

first..before you do anything...try regrounding your amp...you probably have some kind of interference to where you grounded it...or you didnt sand down the spot that you grounded your amp wire too..you need to ground the amp to BARE metal...not painted metal...AFTER you do that...come back and lemme know if it works or hot..you probably just have a bad ground sumwhere..its just a matter of time/trial and error until you know exactly what it is.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM

what panda said. many cases of alternator whine is caused by a ground making bad contact with the chassis.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM

ha..ascendant max...we meet yet again..dude ima add you to my buddy list on aim...i need to talk to you about car audio stuff too..
Old 10-12-2005, 05:31 PM

i usually don't reply what someone else already said, but i think i caught a case of "2damax-itis"
Old 10-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
i usually don't reply what someone else already said, but i think i caught a case of "2damax-itis"
i know what you mean...ha..post count went up like 30 in 2 days...lol..ive just been pretty bored...you're not on aim?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:48 PM

In addition to what everyone else said, I wanted to add that it is NOT common practice to directly ground the outer (shielded) conductor of an RCA cable. This is because this outer conductor is already chasis grounded via any components (head unit, amplifer) it's hooked to. I'm not 100% sure how it all works, but if you directly ground the RCA cables as you suggest and this wire accidentally comes into contact with a power source, it will instantly damage any component (head unit, amplifier) it's hooked up to. So cure your alternator whine the conventional way (as others have suggested) and leave your RCA cables alone.

If anyone else has input on this, feel free to chime in.

Tony
Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Well, I've done everything there was except for the big three. I changed my ground twice, grinded away all the paint, and currently have the ground attacched to the spare wheel well. I also picked up the amp, high low converter, and everything in the air and played the system, and still no luck. All I know is that, when the car is running, but the head unit is turned off, there is no whine, but once I turn on the head unit, it's full blast alternator whine. I am using the maxima stock headunit, non-bose. What can this be? The ground is in the best possible place, as most have recommended, spare wheel well bolted down and all paint sanded away.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

snair ground it to the seat bolt buckle on the passenger seat.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 PM

any othere good spots u guys got to ground you amp in the trunk? some where on the right side? im gettin the alternator sound 2 and i have done every thing to get rid of it.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
tastey wheat

stupid question, but are you using sheilded RCAs?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I wouldnt put it into the amp gruond, i would do on one end to the chassis of the amp, and do the same on the other end to the body of the radio. I have recommended that for years and it has no ill affects. Sometimes it seems the noise just wont stop. THis usually does.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
stupid question, but are you using sheilded RCAs?
I'm using the RCA's that's attached to my high low converter, could that be a problem? Should I get an adapter from Radio Shack and purchase some high quality sheilded RCAs and attach it to my high low converters?

I wouldnt put it into the amp gruond, i would do on one end to the chassis of the amp, and do the same on the other end to the body of the radio. I have recommended that for years and it has no ill affects. Sometimes it seems the noise just wont stop. THis usually does.
Can you do me a favor and help me out :-D. I want to know more information on how to do this, please help
Old 10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

you take a piece of wire, bend it in an L shape. Insert the short leg of the L to the inside of the outer ring (Female part of the rca), dont allow it to touch the center pole and plug the rca in. THis should be now sandwiched between the outer ring of the rca you just plugged in and the outer ring of the one on the amp. DO the same at the radio. Upon doing this you should have one end sticking up out of each wire. Attach that to the chasses of the radio and amp. YOUR DONE>
Old 10-14-2005, 07:05 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Big 3 upgrade and be done with it. [/Alternator Whine]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 AM

How would I ground for the stock radio using this method? Take a piece of wire, screw it onto the the radio chasis and then ground the wire to a piece of metel near the chasis?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

lol,that should work, I do both anyway