Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need some help with installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need some help with installation

So i went out to best buy with no intention of buying anything, but then some dude comes up to me asking what i want, and he tells me that they have some weird deal for this and this for....$129.98. I couldnt pass that up.

My car is a 99 gxe with the stock tape deck. Im not planning on upgrading to a cd player anytime soon because i dont have money, so i just connect my mp3 player to the tape deck. Now i need an amp wiring kit and a rca converter(i think). Could somebody point me towards a cheap wiring kit and a cheap rca converter? I really dont have money, so the lowest price is better, no matter if quality is sacrificed. I gotta get this today btw. I'm a when it comes to wiring, so some diagrams and tips would be good too.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:15 PM
blah

did you keep your receipt?

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is!

return it ASAP. If they only give you store credit back I'd recommend you upgrading your head unit first!
Old 11-20-2005, 02:32 PM

wtf? they screwed up in the listing of it, thats why it was so cheap.

I bought a wiring kit, speaker wires, and rca cables. I need a diagram on how to install it on a max. Can anybody help.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:32 PM

go back and return it without a recipt and see if they give you cash back, if not i guess keep it. otherwise make some $ off that system and get a better one fo rthe same price.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:01 PM

I have to keep this sytem, they wont take things back w/o a receipt here. Plus i've heard it in my friend's explorer and it sounds good.

I'm having a slight problem with the installation. Well i'm having a few problems with the installation...
1. How do i take out the dash so i can make the RCA and Remote(i think its what its called) connections?
2. Where do people route the power cable from the battery through the firewall? I dont know if i should drill a hole because there are probably pre-exsisting holes in the firewall.
3. I got this amp kit, and it has 4gauge wire. The problem is that the amp has a connection that fits only a 8 gauge wire(i think its 8). How can i connect the wire to the amp? Can i just chop off a little of the metal on the wire and fit it in there, or is that bad?

Excuse my stupidity in this matter, i'm really bad with wiring, but i want to install this myself to learn.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:55 PM

the amp accepts bare metal? or is it some sort of a spade connector?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Amp accepts bare metal. I got that problem solved by just chopping a small peice of the wire off and connecting it to the amp.

I got the dashboard off. I'm looking for a diagram that explains where i can connect the RCA wires from the amp to the headunit!!! Can anybody give me a link to this diagram?

A buddy is gonna give me his stock non bose cd player tommorow, and i want to know how i should connect the RCA's to it. If i dont do that, i'll keep my stock tape deck. I need both diagrams, the cd player one and the tape deck one. Thanks to whoever can give them to me! Im going to look myself also.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:11 PM

BUMP

Need directions on how to install the RCA wires into the stock headunit!!! I want to finish this install today, and this is the only thing stopping me from finishing.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:07 PM

ok **** this ****, im done, not installing this ****, wiring is a ****ing *****.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
99 SE-L

Dual Oh god...

Old 11-21-2005, 03:37 PM
99 SE-L

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
Amp accepts bare metal. I got that problem solved by just chopping a small peice of the wire off and connecting it to the amp.

I got the dashboard off. I'm looking for a diagram that explains where i can connect the RCA wires from the amp to the headunit!!! Can anybody give me a link to this diagram?

A buddy is gonna give me his stock non bose cd player tommorow, and i want to know how i should connect the RCA's to it. If i dont do that, i'll keep my stock tape deck. I need both diagrams, the cd player one and the tape deck one. Thanks to whoever can give them to me! Im going to look myself also.
Stcok headunits do not have preouts for RCAS you need a PAC adapter.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

BUMP

Need directions on how to install the RCA wires into the stock headunit!!! I want to finish this install today, and this is the only thing stopping me from finishing.
dukes.

First off your going to install an amplifier to a stock headunit. To do this you need four things to work the amplifier.

1-Power

2-Remote Wire

3-Ground

4-RCA's

to install all of these things you have to
1-Route a fused length of wire from the front battery positive terminal to the rear of the car. This is easily done by using a hanger and pushing it through the rubber grommet under the dash this will allow you to connect one end to the battery and route the other under the interior panels and carpet then to the trunk, then to the 12+ on the amp.

2-Utilize a test light to find which wire will illuminate the grounded test light when the key is turned forward. If it is on all the time it will cause a power drain and is not the right light.

3-You want this wire as thick (At least) as the 12+ wire you used. You will scrape an area of paint and secure an o ring crimped on the wire to the scraped area with a self tapping screw and washer. If possible put a dab of silicone over it to prevent rust. The other end will go to your amplifiers - or Ground.

4-You will have to tap in either behind the radio or at the speakers to add the line inverter. This is straightforward in as that they are wired Right Front Left Rear ETC. You connect this via wire taps to which speakers you want this controlled from and connect the rcas to the inverter. These should now have a signal and can be routed under the carpet to the rear of the car and plugged into the amp. From here its time to set your gains but thats for another time
Old 11-21-2005, 05:50 PM

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ps.html?page=2

you don't have to return it if the setup sounds good to YOU. what we consider good here on the forums are not all the same. remember, the term "sounds good" is very subjective.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ps.html?page=2

you don't have to return it if the setup sounds good to YOU. what we consider good here on the forums are not all the same. remember, the term "sounds good" is very subjective.
UM EXCUSE ME but where the heck were you at 820 when i was doing all that typing
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
UM EXCUSE ME but where the heck were you at 820 when i was doing all that typing

i was busy looking up that site
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks guys, i didnt know that i needed some sort of converter to make this work. I'm going to have to re-wire everything again because earlier i got really pissed at the whole thing because i accedentally cut the rear speaker wire and nothing worked. I disconected everything and randomly threw the wires in the trunk. I know, very stupid of me, i smack myself for it now.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

just dont use a wet noodle you dont get good results...Use like dried bamboo or something...
Old 11-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Ok, i was looking at the rca wires, and can i just cut off the connectors so i have 2 wires coming from each wire, and connect that to the back speaker wires instead of buying a hi-lo converter? Its sorta out of my budget right now.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:36 PM

with the maximas with the bose speakers it is very tricky to do...i went though all the trouble doing this

to install a new head unit they have to disengage every amp for every speaker in every door (theres 5 amps i believe) and then you have to install the wire harness and all the other crap...its really a pain in the butt to install the head units
Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 PM

i dont have bose speakers
Old 11-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Ok, i was looking at the rca wires, and can i just cut off the connectors so i have 2 wires coming from each wire, and connect that to the back speaker wires instead of buying a hi-lo converter? Its sorta out of my budget right now.
why in the hebejees would you do that? buy a high low converter or wait until you have the 8 dollars or 6.25 the dang thing costs, you start jacklegging you blow stuff up . Dont jackleg.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Convertor for sale