Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Profi or Profi Vanadium

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Profi or Profi Vanadium

I've been mulling over component speakers for while now, first considering the Rainbow SLC's, then the Arc ACS's, but my thoughts have now graduated to the Rainbow Profi & Profi Vanadium lines. Nothing against the other speakers, (their price/performance ratio is very appealing) but I fear that after a while, I might get a hankerin to upgrade them, sooooo.....

How do I choose between these two?

Handling power seems to be the same (180 watts), so no diff there. I did notice that they are made of different compounds though, with the Profi using a natural fiber for the cone & tweeter vs. an aluminum compound for the Vanadiums. When I hear aluminum, I cringe a bit, thinking that it might lose some of it's warmth, but I can't imagine these would, but.....

In a nutshell: What is the difference in SQ between the two & which one would you recommend knowing that:
The price/performance ratio is still a factor, warm highs & strong punchy mids that compliment each other are prefered & I listen to bands like Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis + Fog. Disturbed, System Of A Down, Deftones, Rush, As I Lay Dying etc.

Thanks for any insight you can provide me with
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 AM

My opinion? Go with the silk tweets and don't look back.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
My opinion? Go with the silk tweets and don't look back.

Youve never heard the Titaniums.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 AM

Ive run both sets in my previous setups. I do prefer the Silk CAL27s, but only for my types of music for the most part. The Titanium CAL26s are surprisingly smooth and detailed for a metal dome.

With the difference in cones, Ive installed several sets of both and personally prefer the Vanadiums, but again My listening preferences. If your into rock,metal,etc the Profi set,but with the Titanium tweets would be an very nice setup. IMO.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 AM

I installed Steve's Vanadiums, and yes they sound awesomely amazing now that he has the Alpine 701 and RTA, but not many people go that extensively into tuning, and without it the tweeters were harsh. Not everyone can afford to have a DXE in every setup they run like you sir

PS...have you sent my 712t?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM

I installed Steve's Vanadiums, and yes they sound awesomely amazing now that he has the Alpine 701 and RTA, but not many people go that extensively into tuning, and without it the tweeters were harsh. Not everyone can afford to have a DXE in every setup they run like you sir

Blah blah blah.....

sent yesterday sir
Old 11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
I've been mulling over component speakers for while now, first considering the Rainbow SLC's, then the Arc ACS's, but my thoughts have now graduated to the Rainbow Profi & Profi Vanadium lines. Nothing against the other speakers, (their price/performance ratio is very appealing) but I fear that after a while, I might get a hankerin to upgrade them, sooooo.....

How do I choose between these two?

Handling power seems to be the same (180 watts), so no diff there. I did notice that they are made of different compounds though, with the Profi using a natural fiber for the cone & tweeter vs. an aluminum compound for the Vanadiums. When I hear aluminum, I cringe a bit, thinking that it might lose some of it's warmth, but I can't imagine these would, but.....

In a nutshell: What is the difference in SQ between the two & which one would you recommend knowing that:
The price/performance ratio is still a factor, warm highs & strong punchy mids that compliment each other are prefered & I listen to bands like Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis + Fog. Disturbed, System Of A Down, Deftones, Rush, As I Lay Dying etc.

Thanks for any insight you can provide me with

I have the Profi Vans now and I do like them a lot. You will definitely need to devote some time to tuning them. The tweets can be very bright at first. On a side note my set of Profi's will be up for sale soon. I decided to go with a 3 way DLS set for my fronts. I haven't decided on a price yet but if you're interested PM me.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That being said, the DXE is one good investment.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Dasyce
That being said, the DXE is one good investment.
That doesn't even do it justice. I had the privilidge to hear Don';s DXE in action...the flexibility of the DXE is beyond words, and I only got a glimpse of its capabilites. It's simply AMAZING.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM

What so special about the dxe, it's just a fairly basic sound processor....

I have a set of pro van kick 3-ways. I don't like the tweeters and I hate the passive crossovers (the tweeter protection circuit will light up with less than 75 watts rms). Although the mids sound good.

I'll probably never buy another rainbow product unless I get rich and buy the reference series tweeters (supposedly better sounding than the scan speak revelator tweeters).
Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
What so special about the dxe, it's just a fairly basic sound processor....
I wouldn't say basic. Its arguably the finest piece of audiophile grade
analog xover engineering available, that is digitally controlled, super precise. Its simply for a different type of tuner, not one that works around factory locations in hopes of a center image, proper staging( basically needing the bandaid of time alignment).
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Since I'm just an audio simpleton, the DXE is not in my plans, so eliminating the Vanadiums seems like a logical choice seen as I won't have the goods to make them sound as good as they should.

Sounds like the Profi's are right up my alley. If I may ask though, so I can completely eliminate the Arc's from my train of thought, do the Cal 27's & the mids of the Profi's go above & beyond the Arc's mids & Cal 25 silks?

Also, what is the lowest RMS I can run the Cal 27's on without them going into protection mode? I've got an amp that I'd like to use for a while, but if it's insufficent, then perhaps I'll have to get a new amp before the speakers.

Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Since I'm just an audio simpleton, the DXE is not in my plans, so eliminating the Vanadiums seems like a logical choice seen as I won't have the goods to make them sound as good as they should.

Sounds like the Profi's are right up my alley. If I may ask though, so I can completely eliminate the Arc's from my train of thought, do the Cal 27's & the mids of the Profi's go above & beyond the Arc's mids & Cal 25 silks?

Also, what is the lowest RMS I can run the Cal 27's on without them going into protection mode? I've got an amp that I'd like to use for a while, but if it's insufficent, then perhaps I'll have to get a new amp before the speakers.

Thanks again.
For one...cal27's are out of the question...I may be one of maybe 3 other people in the whole US with the Power CS tweeters...They dont really stock the component set, as at $1300msrp its not a hot seller. And they dont sell individual drivers.

Two...the ARC ACS was base on the old pre '04 Professional set tweeter, in '04 that line was renamed the Profi line and new R&D brought forth the new
acoustic volume/chambered larger tweeters with lower Fs...

I think you mean the Cal26silks from the Profi line- excellent tweeters. Now the question is...standard midbass? Profi Phase plug midbass? or Kickbass? pick your poison...

I think for the cost of the Rainbow Profi(silk), it has little comparison to sets into the $1k range. The tweeter is that good.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
For one...cal27's are out of the question...I may be one of maybe 3 other people in the whole US with the Power CS tweeters...They dont really stock the component set, as at $1300msrp its not a hot seller. And they dont sell individual drivers.

Make that four.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Make that four.
No,No Manny has my old CAL27s from my AV6. The ones sitting here are the CAL26s. Titanium Vs Silk and about a good $100 or so more $$.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
For one...cal27's are out of the question....
I think you mean the Cal26silks from the Profi line- excellent tweeters. Now the question is...standard midbass? Profi Phase plug midbass? or Kickbass? pick your poison...
Ooops, my bad, the Cal 26's, not the 27's. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm also glad you asked which mid I wanted, cause I was gonna ask what the differences were and which one would be best suit my musical tastes. I'm assuming I couldn't go wrong with a standard midbass setup, but am wildly curious what the other ones sound like.

Thanks again and hope y'all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:04 AM

I would like to put my vote in for the Focal k2's. I have those but I want the eutopia's but not ready to send that much coin of speakers I figured 900 bucks for the K2's that I feel are some of the best reproducing speakers made. I have heard the rainbows and like those a lot but no one here sells them.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

If you're speaking of Rainbows, then Don does & at really good prices I might add. If your speaking of the Eutopia's, then ?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No,No Manny has my old CAL27s from my AV6. The ones sitting here are the CAL26s. Titanium Vs Silk and about a good $100 or so more $$.
Hrmmmm...
Old 11-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Ooops, my bad, the Cal 26's, not the 27's. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm also glad you asked which mid I wanted, cause I was gonna ask what the differences were and which one would be best suit my musical tastes. I'm assuming I couldn't go wrong with a standard midbass setup, but am wildly curious what the other ones sound like.

Thanks again and hope y'all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Bumpin it up so I can get an idea what the other midbass's are like. (kick & phase) Hope ya'll don't mind.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Bumpin it up so I can get an idea what the other midbass's are like. (kick & phase) Hope ya'll don't mind.
Kick bass has more robust midbass between 80-220hz and decent midrange.
Phase plug has decent midbass punch but very tight and snappy, very smooth and detailed midrange.

Standard driver is nice all around, very natural and transparent.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

thank you very much sir.