Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Ipod Kit For My Maxima Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 AM

Ipod Kit For My Maxima Question

I Just purchased a 4th generation 20g iPod and I would like to know what you can use to install it so I can bump it in my 02 Maxi'. I did some research and I’ve seen the cassette and charger adapters but I herd the sound quality is bad. In addition, I saw what it’s called a "iPod2Car" and it will integrate controls on the stereo so you can manage the iPod. I went the "iPod2Car" site and checked their compatibility section and no maxima to be found because of a harness that it needs. Is this true? Has anyone integrated an iPod to a Maxi? Get back at me fellow Maxi' owners!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have an ipod and i bought this from ebay:
It works well and the quality is sitll good
http://cgi.ebay.com/iPod-Mini-Photo-...QQcmdZViewItem

The best thing about it is that it holds the ipod secure and I can control what songs I want to listen to while I drive.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM
THX
Hallelujah

If you can get an Alpine head unit:

http://www.alpinefullspeed.com/
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought this from an Apple store, but I don't think I paid 90 dollars for it. It's the Griffin RoadTrip.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TA230LL%2FA

It comes with an extension arm that lets me mount the cradle right below my radio controls, so it is within reach; and it let's you choose which frequency you want to use. I found that without the extension arm, I can't use the shifter since the cigarette lighter is near it in my '00 Maxima. In any case, the sound quality is okay. It isn't magnificent when compared to what you'd get if your Ipod was hardwired to the deck through the Alpline or Pioneer units, but it also isn't awful. I guess it depends on how much background noise you pick up through the frequency you choose. Probably worse if you live in a big city.

I do have one dislike: since it is mounted through the cigarette lighter, making fast turns means your Ipod will flop to one side of the car. I haven't figured out how to fix that problem yet, except to take turns slower, which requires way too much self-control on my part. :-p

Anyways, I hope this helps. If you want to see a picture of it mounted, I can take one later.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:44 PM

I just bought the Alpine IVA-W200 with the iPod full speed cable, and its the closest thing to the iPod controls. I've tried the Pioneer AVIC-D1 with ipod controls and it sucked big time. I had the iTrip, and had too much interference from other stations, and CD changers from other cars. If you have cash too spend, I highly suggest it this Alpine deck. The display is great, and controls are easy to use.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:45 PM

Oh by the way, sounds great. Got the entire thing for $1000
Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

i tried the tape..sucks....fm thing...sucks you are in LA its not gong to help. if you want to hardwire (JUST add an AUX-input in your bose) then PM me i have a soundgate adaptor on sale. Im selling my Ipod so i dont need this anymore. let me know.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:50 PM

wow

yeah, living in LA sucks lol..i had an mp3 player "iriver" hooked up before and it sucked ...but yeah the guys that make the stereo adapter that will adapt to oem steroes told me that I needed a cd player changer output in the back of the deck. They asked that If i could take off the stereo deck and take a picture of it and sent it in. They are gonna get in touch with me after to see if their product can work for with our factory stereos. I dont have the Bose system or the CD changer option on my ride so I think my choices are narrow. Either go with the FM transmitter that Gennady7 suggested or get the alpine. I just found that transmitter and its only 3 bucks plus 8 bucks shipping on Ebay. Im going to buy it just to test it out and if its that bad with all the LA frequency im gonna have to dish out of my tax returns for a new deck (ughghghg). Sucks!