Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

audio noise fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 01:14 PM
mrloyd

just wanted to let you all know i finally found a solution to my noise problem. I have a mtx 5 channel amp that was consistant getting the same problematic noise problem that you are all getting. Annoying alternator noise, that gets worse if you add any load to the electrical system, such as turning on lights, defrost, a/c, ... Anyway, it appears that the problem is ground loop noise caused by the way nissan grounds their systems. I went through all the normal procedures, power on left side of car, signal on right, good ground for amp, grounded head unit and chassis well, even tried grounding all of it at the same point to eleminate noise but the noise stayed. It wasn't coming from the antenna, nor was it being radiated in through the dash(didn't stop with deck removed from dash. Tried power wire noise suppression, no good. Tried rca noise suppressor, no good. Finally found a product at best buy, they only have it out in the bay, a gound loop isolator. Plug rca's in, plug into amp, no more noise. Cost me 16.00, if you have multiple sets of rca's you need one for every two channels.Make sure that the unit is actually a ground loop isolator, not just an rca fiter, which made no difference in the noise. I know alot of people don't like to use filters, but i had tried everything and this thing works very well. No noise at all, even with a/c, all lights, and everything else on. It did decrese the overall volume of the system about 5-10%, but since the noice is gone, i just cranked my gains up to compensate. I hope this helps solve this never ending pain in the *** for some of you.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you notice any change to the cleanness (I don't know how else to put it) of the sound coming from your amp? When I put in a ground loop isolater it really affected this part of my system, so much that I had to take it out. . .
Old 10-17-2000, 02:17 PM
STFU n00b!

As long as you buy a good one, you shouldn't have much of a problem..

The first one I installed sounded like crap.. I took it back to the shop I got ir from, and they gave me a Stinger one.. it sounded MUCH better. that was about 5-6 years ago, so I dunno who makes them or how much they cost now, but back then a good one was about $25. I'm sure they haven't changed much since then. technology is the same- probably even the parts!
Old 10-17-2000, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks, I'll look at car audio places for one and will stay away from the Radio Shack variety
Old 10-19-2000, 12:31 AM
mrloyd

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Thanks, I'll look at car audio places for one and will stay away from the Radio Shack variety
the one i got was the garden variety cheapo, no sound quality degredation, just the aforementioned slight decrease in overall volume. I don't have seperates, so such a difference may not be as apparent to me.