Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Looking To Change My Stock Speakers........advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Looking To Change My Stock Speakers........advice Needed.

I currently have the stock speakers in my 01 max. I have 2 front speakers on my doors, and 2 on the back doors. Not looking to get a crazy system or anything, just want my music to sound crisp. What type of speakers should I go for? Also, how much should I drop on good, crisp speakers? Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
You should thank my D***

do u have bose or no?

I heard bose was a pain to do because each speaker has mini amps hooked to them. I didn't have bose and it wasn't to bad. Look for speaker adapters.
http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/speakeradapters.htm

I would get some jl audio or kicker components for the front and just some regular coaxials in the back. With my experience the back doesn't really do much because its low unless u do components but I wouln't bother because you are driving dont worry about the back. What ever you pick just get name brand do it right the 1st time.

Get some 3m double sided tape to tape the tweeters in place.

Goodluck with the install.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have had great experience with jbl and infinity spkears in previous cars. they will run anywhere from $50 to $100 for the pair. kenwood speakers are ok, but sound deteriorates as the years go by. stay away from pioneer speakrs.

if you want crisp sound, use a 4 channel amp to power them. normal head unit distorts the sound. you can buy a small amp; most people go overboard with power for no reason. most aftermaket speakers will not have as much bass as the oem ones. if you want some low tones, you may want to get a 4+1 channel amp, and hook up a small sub-woofer (8" or 10").
Old 06-09-2006, 04:40 AM

i have rockfords all around.. sound is great
Old 06-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by inspiredbykev
I heard bose was a pain to do because each speaker has mini amps hooked to them. I didn't have bose and it wasn't to bad.
If you have a 4th gen with Bose, then you have amps in each door. If you have a 5th gen, your amp is in your trunk

Save your money, make them yourself from 3/4" MDF, which is better than plastic.
I would get some jl audio or kicker components for the front and just some regular coaxials in the back.
Get in on the Rainbow Soundline Group Deal
With my experience the back doesn't really do much because its low unless u do components but I wouln't bother because you are driving dont worry about the back. What ever you pick just get name brand do it right the 1st time.
Rear is typically for fill, you're the driver and want to spend your efforts on the front of the car.
Get some 3m double sided tape to tape the tweeters in place.
Hot glue works too.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
If you have a 4th gen with Bose, then you have amps in each door. If you have a 5th gen, your amp is in your trunk

Save your money, make them yourself from 3/4" MDF, which is better than plastic.

Get in on the Rainbow Soundline Group Deal

Rear is typically for fill, you're the driver and want to spend your efforts on the front of the car.

Hot glue works too.
Hey, I notice you have an Alpine NAV HU for sale. What are you asking for it?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Jules Maximus
Hey, I notice you have an Alpine NAV HU for sale. What are you asking for it?
I do?

Do you mean Eclipse? If you do, PM me.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Go with Polk all the way man. The polk db series won't break the bank and it has amazing highs and accurate mid bass. These won't give you super great bass though. You might want to look into subs to give nice bass. Once you replace your speakers, you'll wanna get a sub anyways. Polk Momo are polk's compe***ion speakers. They are a little more than the db as far as price but you definately get what you paid for with them. They sound better and have more bass. It is a desease man.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Hexon
Go with Polk all the way man. The polk db series won't break the bank and it has amazing highs and accurate mid bass. These won't give you super great bass though. You might want to look into subs to give nice bass. Once you replace your speakers, you'll wanna get a sub anyways. Polk Momo are polk's compe***ion speakers. They are a little more than the db as far as price but you definately get what you paid for with them. They sound better and have more bass. It is a desease man.

You havent demoed too many real products huh?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

Lol real.

10rainbows.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Jensen FTW!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You havent demoed too many real products huh?
Yeah, but rainbows are twice as expensive, and he said he didn't want a crazy system. By that I assumed that he didn't want to spend a lot. Polks are pretty cheap and they sound good too. I have heard Infinity, RF, Blaunkput, and a few other entry level speakers. I have yet to hear the big "brand name" speakers. I concure that I haven't demoed many products, but out of the ones I have demoed polks sounded good and fit my low budget + they are in my back deck so it doesn't matter anyways. I'll look into more expensive stuff when I do the front speakers. Then I'll get back to you... : )
Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 PM

Polk DBs have pretty good midbass....my friend had the component set.

The tweets were a bit harsh and couldnt be toned to his liking.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah, but rainbows are twice as expensive, and he said he didn't want a crazy system. By that I assumed that he didn't want to spend a lot. Polks are pretty cheap and they sound good too. I have heard Infinity, RF, Blaunkput, and a few other entry level speakers. I have yet to hear the big "brand name" speakers. I concure that I haven't demoed many products, but out of the ones I have demoed polks sounded good and fit my low budget + they are in my back deck so it doesn't matter anyways. I'll look into more expensive stuff when I do the front speakers. Then I'll get back to you... : )

Depends on which line, theres alot of Rainbows that are Inexpensive as well. Especially if your getting into Polk SR or something of the sort..
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 AM

I might get SRs when I have the money, but I haven't heard them and don't know if they are worth the money compared to other companies. But I would like to keep my ride all polk. : )
Old 07-03-2006, 11:30 AM

Nope definately not worth the money when held against others in the same price range. Its all good though, your still young and with age youll eventually be tempted to try new things and will be pleasantly surprised at the results.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Nope definately not worth the money when held against others in the same price range. Its all good though, your still young and with age youll eventually be tempted to try new things and will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Don was tempted by drag queens when he was younger

Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by slammed
Don was tempted by drag queens when he was younger

Hence what led me to you.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Wow...polk momo's sound TERRIBLE!! The polk db series actually sound better..don't be fooled by the fancy graphics on the polk momo...it REALLY isn't worth the money. I had polks in my prelude... They were pretty good for the price but now that I know more things and am a customer of DON...yeah I get more for my money. TOOO BAD that just means I spend more. Don's ecstatic I have no interest financing on my new american express card.....
BTW DON...AVN6600 is SWEET...hooked it up. Just waiting on that changer magazine and the back up camera. Got the reverse wire all hooked up and ready to go.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by burnurass
Wow...polk momo's sound TERRIBLE!! The polk db series actually sound better..don't be fooled by the fancy graphics on the polk momo...it REALLY isn't worth the money. I had polks in my prelude... They were pretty good for the price but now that I know more things and am a customer of DON...yeah I get more for my money. TOOO BAD that just means I spend more. Don's ecstatic I have no interest financing on my new american express card.....
BTW DON...AVN6600 is SWEET...hooked it up. Just waiting on that changer magazine and the back up camera. Got the reverse wire all hooked up and ready to go.

I tried callin back the other day, but no luck. Gimme a call later today if ya want for at least the magazine..
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 PM

I tried callin back the other day, but no luck. Gimme a call later today if ya want for at least the magazine..
will do sir.. probably see you tonight. Do you know about when the camera will come in? Lol i'll pm ya and stop whoring the thread.