Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sound-deadening the metal the sub mounts to.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Sound-deadening the metal the sub mounts to.

So i'm kinda tired of my bass sounding like a wet juicy fart. I looked at housecor's write-up on how to deaden the rear parcel. However, i don't have the money to do the whole thing. According to my ears and his site, most of the noise comes from that piece of metal that the sub is attached to. I went out and looked under the bose speaker cover thing in the back window and saw that i could get to the piece of metal to which the sub mounts. Would deadening that be as easy as removing that cover, unscrewing the screws that hold the metal in, unscrewing the actual sub from that piece of metal, stickin the dynamat on it, screwing everything back in, and puttin the cover back on? Can i unplug the sub if need be without hurting anything (with the car off, of course)? thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
So i'm kinda tired of my bass sounding like a wet juicy fart. I looked at housecor's write-up on how to deaden the rear parcel. However, i don't have the money to do the whole thing.
Wait til you have the money then. No sense in doing 2x the work. Your talking about a small amount of sound deadener from what I can tell, I doubt it will dent your wallet for a few cubic ft of the stuff.

According to my ears and his site, most of the noise comes from that piece of metal that the sub is attached to.
Correct, the rear decklid rattles like hell.

I went out and looked under the bose speaker cover thing in the back window and saw that i could get to the piece of metal to which the sub mounts. Would deadening that be as easy as removing that cover, unscrewing the screws that hold the metal in, unscrewing the actual sub from that piece of metal, stickin the dynamat on it, screwing everything back in, and puttin the cover back on?
Im sure that would lead to some sort of improvment but highly doubt it will get rid of all the rattles from there.
You could do what you just said plus applying a bit more fromt he underside of the rear decklid from the trunk area to mass load the area a bit.

Can i unplug the sub if need be without hurting anything (with the car off, of course)? thanks guys.
I dont see why not.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM

My rear deck rattles a lot. I bought velcro to try to fix it from jumping around, but the velcro works like crap.

Hey GigEmAgs07, look in the sound deadening sticky. There are better alternatives to dynamat. Elemental designs has super cheap stuff. eDead v1
is $1 per sq. foot. You will only need about 10-20 sq. feet to do the top and bottom of the deck. So that will run you $10-$20 plus shipping. You can layer it up too.
Sticky:http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=414337
Edead:http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=damp&cur=USD
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 PM

so i went to bestbuy today and got a 2-speaker kit of dynamat for 21 bones. Came home, ripped the sub out, did both sides of the metal piece, and then shoved it all back together. Results? the back seems much more quite, and the fart noise is not audible anymore. The rest of my doors still vibrate like hades though. Argh, why does stuff have to cost money?!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM

i got to lookin at the eDead website. How hard is it to deaden the doors of our max's? I have zero experience doing this kind of stuff, and in reality would rather pay someone to do it for me. But if it's doable, i don't mind takin the risk. Are the door covers hard to get off? I looked in the stickies, are there any actual write-ups on this kind of thing? tia
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 PM

i got to lookin at the eDead website. How hard is it to deaden the doors of our max's? I have zero experience doing this kind of stuff, and in reality would rather pay someone to do it for me. But if it's doable, i don't mind takin the risk. Are the door covers hard to get off? I looked in the stickies, are there any actual write-ups on this kind of thing? tia
Not that your not capable, but if you dont feel like doing it just pay someone to.

If you feel like taking up the task yourself, ill be honest, its time consuming to say the least.

Id suggest a few good pairs of gloves mainly because the foil on the sound deadener is as sharp as a razor blade. Other then that to apply it is pretty straight forward. I would recommend using either rammat or secondskin.

Secondskin is the best sound deadener out there period. Rammat isnt bad either and costs less. One roll of rammat should do quite well for the front doors (all 4 if your being conservative) and is a better product then edead.

http://rammat.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
They have a detailed "how to" section.

Ant from http://secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi is also very helpful with info.

edit: also you might want to remove your license plate pics or atleast edit them
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 AM

the doors are eeasy to pull off there should be a stickie somewhere, not sure completely about your year, but should be about the same. there's a screw holding the doorhandle on somewhere near the top, usually covered by a removeable plug, then pop off the door/window controls cover, there should be about 3 screws in there, remove them all. On my front doors i have an additional 2 screws towards the front. Unscrew the door lights, unattach all the wiring. Pop the tabs around the edges of the door,...careful not to break them. then basically pull up. The top edge of the door apparently sort of hooks on to the top metal edge of the door. It's really easy..take your time on the first one tio make sure you get it right, then it's a snap. I HIGHLY recommned secondskin. I'm doing my current maxima with it. and will also be doing my second car with it as well.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

on the contrary, most of the rattling ISN'T from the subwoofer mounting plate. most of the rattling comes from the seat belt assembly cup thingies. put some dynamat inside of the cop to brace the assembly from rattling and it takes care of most of the rattling.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

on the contrary, most of the rattling ISN'T from the subwoofer mounting plate. most of the rattling comes from the seat belt assembly cup thingies. put some dynamat inside of the cop to brace the assembly from rattling and it takes care of most of the rattling.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
My rear deck rattles a lot. I bought velcro to try to fix it from jumping around, but the velcro works like crap.

Hey GigEmAgs07, look in the sound deadening sticky. There are better alternatives to dynamat. Elemental designs has super cheap stuff. eDead v1
is $1 per sq. foot. You will only need about 10-20 sq. feet to do the top and bottom of the deck. So that will run you $10-$20 plus shipping. You can layer it up too.
Sticky:http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=414337
Edead:http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=damp&cur=USD
how did you get the deck lid off? i can't see where the clips are located