Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Pearlmax96 (Please read)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:58 AM

Pearlmax96 (Please read)

I need some advice...

I'm really really old school when it comes to selecting an amplifier. For some reason for the past few days I've been trying to locate "The Old Stuff" Meaning (Phoenix gold M44, M50, M100 / Orion HCCA / PPI pre DEI / etc, etc)

I guess my question is what companies are still well known for producing products comparable to the underrated Hi-Current stuff from back in the days???

Right now I am running a 5 channel PPI amp (DEI era) that seems to sound just fine. Even though alittle more power on the sub channel would be nice. But I'm not worried about the Maxima right now. I'm trying to get things in order for my 1968 Plymouth Fury Convertible which was my first car. I'm going through the resto process with it right now & as soon as it comes back from paint I want to start on the wiring for the system before the upholstry makes it's way back in the car.

Here is what I originally had planned out for the car.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Eclipse H/U (whatever the best model is at the time of purchase)
3 JL Audio 13W7's
3 JL Audio 1000/1 (1 for each sub)
1 JL Audio 450/4
And either JL Audio or DLS components.

I know it looks like I'm partial to JL Audio stuff. But I've been happy with there products and a close friend of mine is a retailer for them so the price is right too. But I'm not really letting the cost limit me on this vehicle. It was my very first car & now that I'm restoring it, I want it done my way. So time & money isn't really a concern. I just don't want to spend 10K on a stereo system. Remember it's a drop top, so it's not really the ideal enviroment to start with. I just want clean & raw to blend well.

Anyways, I wish I never sold my Phoenix gold stuff. I used to have a M44 & a M50 and this other Phoenix amp that was a team edition. I never got a chance to hook it up. But it was a monster, it looked like a piece of carved granite. Have you ever seen on of those before. I tried to locate a picture of it on the web but it's kinda had when you don't remember model #'s. All I know is that thing could power like 8 set's of components & probably 6 sub's all by it's self... Well thatnks for reading this. Sorry to ramble it's just been on my mind the past few days & I really need some suggestions...
Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Sounds like a man with interests shared with my own. I still have some of the older PG gear laying around. M,MS series along with some of the Limited Editions... Bandit,RTE66,Outlaw,etc. I would love to land me a Frank Amp en Stein (sp?) or even the "son of". Recently Ive been searching a bit. I do have some leads on a few from a local co-retailer, but of course he is well aware of what some of the older stuff is worth.

We could always discuss further via phone if youd like..as Im not much of a typer.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:45 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Too funny we just talked about this stuff!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:27 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

id like to eventually restore my first car but half of it is gone. My poor mustang lost its battle with a F350
Old 09-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Sounds like a man with interests shared with my own. I still have some of the older PG gear laying around. M,MS series along with some of the Limited Editions... Bandit,RTE66,Outlaw,etc. I would love to land me a Frank Amp en Stein (sp?) or even the "son of". Recently Ive been searching a bit. I do have some leads on a few from a local co-retailer, but of course he is well aware of what some of the older stuff is worth.

We could always discuss further via phone if youd like..as Im not much of a typer.
Yeah, I really miss my old Phoenix equipment. Still to this day I have never heard a better sounding amp. I whenever I would play something vocal it sounded like the person was right there singing too me personally.

As for the Frank amp N Stein I just seen one brand new in the original crate for sale on ebay. It's buy it now price was $1,500. I should have jumped on it but I was concerned because the seller was over sea's. If your looking for a old Route 66 phoenix there is one on ebay right now. I think the buy it now price is around $550 or so. The seller is claiming that it is a super rare version. Since his is black with purple & red flakes in it. And that most of that model sold were white??? I don't know, but the amp sure looks worthy.

Hey I would like to call & talk personally but I'm alittle worried about the phone bill since your in NJ & I'm in Cali. I only have a cell so you know how thatwould go... Anyways, I apprieciate your time and any suggestions you can make would be a big help.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM

I saw those two amps on there as well. I did consider purchasing them, but this would be strictly for use. Unfortunately with age parts do deteriorate, they definately would not function as they did when they were new. Typically full life expectancy is usually around 5 years. I did just have this discussion with someone that recently purchased a Rte66 and he ( not too technologically advanced) was quite suprised when they amp benched half of its original rated power.

Id be more than happy to foot the bill for a call of this nature.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:43 PM

pearlmax = car audio god?

hmmmmmm

: poop :
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by slammed
nah, he just plays one online...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by slammed