Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replacing bose system with aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replacing bose system with aftermarket stereo

My bose cd player just stopped playing cds yesterday so I've decided to upgrade. I already have a pioneer head unit along with the harness to plug it into the stock wiring. I also just ordered alpine type r components for the front and type r coaxles for the rear. I noticed on the the stock bose wiring that there are 4 wires that go to each amp/speaker. There is a red and black wire going to each amp along with two other colors which are the same colors as a stock maxima stereo without the bose system. What I was going to do was tap into the 2 wires at each speaker (not the red and black wires powering the amps) and run those to the speakers to be able to use the stock wiring without having to re-wire the whole system. I figured that the 2 wires are signal wires coming from the head unit and not power wires like the red and black wires. Can anyone confirm this or know if this will work?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Wow, this is the first post Ive ever seen where the thread creator has some common sense. Congratulations man, and Im not just being sarcastic. Its always just "how do i replace my bose speakers." Yes, you have the right idea, this will work perfectly. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the help. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I just have one more question. I haven't been behind the front door panel yet. As some of you may know on the 95-96 maximas the tweeter is located in the a-pillar instead of on the door panel like the 97-99's. So my guess would be that there are 2 more separate wires running from the bose amp to the tweeter. Can anyone confirm this? Or will I have to run new wires to the tweeter? The type r components come with a crossover so I was going to cut the stock tweeter wires and screw them into the crossover and use the existing tweeter wires to wire the alpine tweeter in.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM

The Bose tweeters are wired together with the mids, the only difference is there is a capacitor on the tweeters (aka bass blocker) so the tweeters dont blow. What I usually do when tweeters are in the pillar is find the stock speaker wire in the kick panel (down by your feet on either side). Cut it. You will now have two ends, one pair of stock wire coming from the deck, and one pair leading into the door which you will have wired to the midrange. Then, all you have to do is drop a new wire a few feet dowm, from the tweeter to the kick panel, and voila, fastest/simplest way to install em using stock speaker wire. You can always mount the crossover in the door, and run a new speaker wire from the crossover through the door boot into the car and up to the tweeter, but its a little bit more work.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks I appreciate the help. I'll be doing the install this weekend so i'll let you know how it goes. I'll try to do a write up for all those who ask the question about how to replace the bose system as long as everything goes smooth.