Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

rear speakers don't work anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 07:54 AM

i have a 92 gxe and i got a panasonic cd player head unit a while back, and shortly after, my rear speakers wouldn't work. how do i find out what's wrong?

oops forgot to say that i have the non-bose system
Old 08-05-2001, 10:10 PM

if both are not working, i'd suspect the rear channel amp in the HU. Panasonics are not necessarily the rolls royce of reciever reliability.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by niceorange
if both are not working, i'd suspect the rear channel amp in the HU. Panasonics are not necessarily the rolls royce of reciever reliability.
how do i figure out if its the amp in the HU or the amp in the trunk?
Old 08-06-2001, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by djslinkyz

how do i figure out if its the amp in the HU or the amp in the trunk?

You switch the signal wires on the rear amp and see what happens, if there is no change, then you know the problem is not in the head unit
Old 08-06-2001, 07:50 PM

You switch the signal wires on the rear amp and see what happens, if there is no change, then you know the problem is not in the head unit
and how do i do that? i'm really new to the whole car audio thing. could you tell me what color wires i need to switch and such. thanks
Old 08-11-2001, 10:44 PM

anyone know what wires to switch???
Old 08-15-2001, 07:41 AM

does ANYONE know what niceorange meant? having no sound from the back is really annoying
Old 08-17-2001, 03:53 PM

Let me start this reply by saying I don't know what anybody else knows, so don't be offended by anything I say. This is only to help.
You state your rear speakers don't work. First off, is the fader adjusted properly so that they should be getting music? Secondly, are your rear speakers powered by the amp or the radio? In other words, does your amp run a sub, front speakers, or does it definitely run the rears? Assuming it powers the rear speakers, does the amp have power? Does it turn on with your radio? If your amp has power and turns on and your fader is adjusted properly look for loose wires at the speakers. If everything looks good get back to me.
It is doubtfull that you blew BOTH rear speakers at the same time. I would assume your fader isn't adjusted properly or your amp doesn't have power.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:06 PM

hey, first of all, thanks for replying.

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Let me start this reply by saying I don't know what anybody else knows, so don't be offended by anything I say. This is only to help.
You state your rear speakers don't work. First off, is the fader adjusted properly so that they should be getting music?
i keep my fader adjusted to center. when i adjust it to rear, i hear nothing.

Secondly, are your rear speakers powered by the amp or the radio? In other words, does your amp run a sub, front speakers, or does it definitely run the rears?
they should be powered by the rear amp. the stock radio only powered the front speakers and the rear amp powered the rear speakers. my new head unit can power all four speakers.

Assuming it powers the rear speakers, does the amp have power? Does it turn on with your radio? If your amp has power and turns on and your fader is adjusted properly look for loose wires at the speakers.
i don't know how to check if the amp has power. i tried to check the fuse on the amp but i can't get it out.

If everything looks good get back to me.
It is doubtfull that you blew BOTH rear speakers at the same time. I would assume your fader isn't adjusted properly or your amp doesn't have power.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:42 PM
STFU n00b!

you need to completely bypass the amp on the rear deck. driving it with speaker-level signals from the panasonic probably fried it. you don't need it anyway.

as for bypassing it, I have instructions on my website.
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/faq...amp_bypass.txt
Old 08-18-2001, 09:38 AM

Did Matt's link help? Let me know. The easiest way to know if your amp has power is to look for a light/led. Still don't see one: get your ear near the amp and have someone turn your radio on with the volume all the way down. You will probably hear a click from the amp. You might not if it's a newer amp and has a "soft on" feature. Let me know.
One last thing, the speakers worked at one point. Did anything relevant happen right around the time they quit working?
Old 08-18-2001, 08:21 PM

thanks matt. i'll try to bypass the amp on monday. yeh, after they installed the new cd player the rears wouldn't work. but i didn't really notice it for a couple weeks.
Old 08-19-2001, 07:09 PM

Matt93SE, you are my hero. haha, anyway, bypassing the rear amp solved my problem completely all i gotta do now is buy new rears cuz one of the speaker cones is torn. thank you so much