Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Installing Different LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 09:21 PM
Ramius83

Have any of you noticed that after you installed your new blue lights for your windows switches that the color is actually a slight purple. Well, this didn't go well with me. So I went to RadioShack.com (not an internet site), a different company than Radioshack, and bought some different leds. These are a TRUE blue. I used the weakess (in brightness) blue LED in the passenger doors and in the three passenger window controls in the driver's window switches. Then I used the next brighter blue LED in the lock, window lock, and driver's side window switch. This made a perfect perfect combo. I will get pics soon. Also, since I changed out my A/C LEDs with the same color, I know have blue LEDs there as well. Let me know if any of you are interested in them. I will get you a number for the Radioshack.com and the part numbers. Later all.

Old 08-17-2001, 11:00 PM
I aim to misbehave.

That would be great... how did you change the A/C LEDs? What voltage LEDs did you use?
Old 08-18-2001, 06:14 AM
Ramius83

I used 5 volt LEDs in the A/C buttons. But, it was difficult getting then in there. The LEDs that are currently in your Max are a slim line design, they are rectangular in size and are pretty small. Well, NO ONE makes a blue LED in this design that I could find. So what I did was take the soldering gun and melted the plastic that surrounds the LEDs in the A/C compartment. Then I soldered the new blue LEDs on the board and put it all together a few times to see if the fitment was right. After a few times, it worked. Total time was about 4 hours because I was trying to get a PERFECT fit. If you are interested in these LEDs, I am going later today to RadioShack.com, I will get the phone number and the number of the LEDs I used. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2001, 09:43 AM

Hey, I'm definitely interested in what you're doing. I am installing blue leds in my hazard, defroster, cc, and light dimmer switches. Did you need a dropping resistor in your a/c unit? Do you have the automatic climate control or the side lever type? I have the automatic and my leds are different from the ones you describe. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:27 PM

Getting a clear picture...

Well, unfortunately this topic has been going simultaneously in about 3 different threads. Hopefully we can get some clarity on what the whole deal is.

Based on what Ramius has said, it sounds like the 97-99 models have LEDs in the console switches for dash illumination, by default. The 95-96 models have bulbs. Because of this, it may be that the 95-96 models have a different voltage going to the switches, perhaps too high for the LEDs used in the 97-99 models.

So, it could be that the method ToolRocks came up with, 5V LED and 330 Ohm resistor combined together, is the only way to go for 95-96 models. Unless the "RadioShack.com" electronic store Ramius found has other LEDs that might have enough resistance without being too bright.

Ramius, when you get a chance please post the contact information. Much appreciated! (By the way, sweet ride; the all white exterior and blue illumination interior sounds like a nice combination!).
Old 08-21-2001, 02:46 PM
I aim to misbehave.

LEDs...

I think Ramius is talking about the lights that tell you which button is pushed in on the manual A/C. There are five rectangular diffuse LEDs soldered onto the circuit board for those indicator lights, and incandescent bulbs with condoms on them to illuminate the actual buttons.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: LEDs...

Originally posted by Speebs
I think Ramius is talking about the lights that tell you which button is pushed in on the manual A/C. There are five rectangular diffuse LEDs soldered onto the circuit board for those indicator lights, and incandescent bulbs with condoms on them to illuminate the actual buttons.
This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. My switches look sweet - now for the rest of the ugly lights.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:11 AM
I aim to misbehave.

No problem. Ramius, are the 5v blue LEDs much brighter than the original green bulbs (if at all)? I would like to replace my green lights with blue ones, but I don't want the instrument panel to be too distracting