Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Listen to "Project B!tch", my ENTIRE everything shakes and rattles! help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 09:01 AM

Try listening to that song in your car, and you'll prob. hear the same things rattling/shaking. On the really low notes in that song, my roof actually shakes, and my trunk not only rattles, but the entire lid shakes. It sounds horrible from anywhere but inside the car. So what can I do about it? I've heard about dynamat, and the expanding foam. I have 2 10" kicker VR's in a sealed box. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-06-2001, 01:20 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

There are alot of companies out there that can deaden the noise you are experiencing. I use and recommend Dynamat Extreme. It worked for all of my squeaks and rattles and even quiets down the interior. It does not smell either. Turd Furgeson would probably recommend RammMatt which I'm sure is good as well. What you have to do is strip the entire interior and your trunk so all you see is bare metal, clean the bare metal from all the grease, grime and dirt so the Dynamat sticks better. You could also have it professionally installed from a reputable car audio shop but may run a few hundred dollars to do it. Prepare for an all day event.

Maximadave
Old 09-07-2001, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by maximadave
There are alot of companies out there that can deaden the noise you are experiencing. I use and recommend Dynamat Extreme. It worked for all of my squeaks and rattles and even quiets down the interior. It does not smell either. Turd Furgeson would probably recommend RammMatt which I'm sure is good as well. What you have to do is strip the entire interior and your trunk so all you see is bare metal, clean the bare metal from all the grease, grime and dirt so the Dynamat sticks better. You could also have it professionally installed from a reputable car audio shop but may run a few hundred dollars to do it. Prepare for an all day event.

Maximadave

Thanks for the help. I'll have to try that out, but probably do it myself.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:06 AM
Disco Biscuit

Actually I'll second the RAAMmat suggestion. I was one of the first ones on here to use it and its great, and is a good bargin as well.I found that sound treatment is a step by step process. I recommend doing one area at a time, then listening for a day or two to find where the other rattles are coming from. Do the trunk and the back deck first. From there, listen, and you'll find rattles coming from the plastic pillar covers, the center console, doors etc. By doing it step by step,(great if you're on a budget) will allow you to target the areas that need more treatment than others. You'll find some areas may only need 1 or 2 layers to stop rattles, and others may need double that. This way, you can stretch your supply of treatment materials.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:09 AM
jmax

"It sounds horrible from anywhere but inside the car." Don't forget, you could also try staying in the car. Since it sounds good there and there is no reason to care about what it sounds like elsewhere. But, the dampening products will also improve the sound inside the car.

Old 09-07-2001, 03:58 PM

Try cementing the walls of your car....this will guaruntee that the noise go away from the cabin parts
But for those of you who want more rational solutions...I'd highly highly recommend Brown Bread...it's kind of like dynamat but 10X's better. it's a couple inches think as compared to dynamat which is maybe 1/10 or 1/8 of an inch. Or try a gallon of V-Blok...that stuff works pretty well too. And if that doesn't work...then try trunk clamps...hehe
Old 09-08-2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by jmax
"It sounds horrible from anywhere but inside the car." Don't forget, you could also try staying in the car. Since it sounds good there and there is no reason to care about what it sounds like elsewhere. But, the dampening products will also improve the sound inside the car.
Yeah I agree that I shouldn't care what it sounds like outside of the car, but I think I'm a little too concerned what other people will think. Heh, I don't want them to think my car is crap just because my bass makes my car rattle. I guess instead of caring so much, I should just stop caring and spend that money on some performance mods... hehe.

Originally posted by 99niner99
Try cementing the walls of your car....this will guaruntee that the noise go away from the cabin parts
But for those of you who want more rational solutions...I'd highly highly recommend Brown Bread...it's kind of like dynamat but 10X's better. it's a couple inches think as compared to dynamat which is maybe 1/10 or 1/8 of an inch. Or try a gallon of V-Blok...that stuff works pretty well too. And if that doesn't work...then try trunk clamps...hehe
HA so cementing the walls of my car, because of the weight, that'll give me better traction on launches right? hehe. Where can I find "brown bread?"

Thanks for the help guys.

PS, how do you know when you're pushing your subs too hard? I don't want to blow them, but is it even possible with the setup I have? Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2001, 03:27 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so...

Where can I get some Dynomat and other sound deadening materials? Any good websites for such things?

Would it be a good idea to dynomat inside the doors behind the panels for less noise? Also, does this stuff weigh a lot?

thanks.
Old 09-08-2001, 03:32 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: so...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Where can I get some Dynomat and other sound deadening materials? Any good websites for such things?

Would it be a good idea to dynomat inside the doors behind the panels for less noise? Also, does this stuff weigh a lot?

thanks.

ok, sorry about that, I just read Turd fergusons message regarding dynomat and sound dampening materials.. Great post. If anyone has any other info, i'll gladly appreciate it
Old 09-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just visit my homepage. Enuff said
Old 09-09-2001, 02:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes, visit Anton's site. Enough said. Then visit my future site. It'll basically be like his. heheh

Thanks for your comments on RAAMmat, Dave.

What whitemax recommended is a good idea. I realized this after I finished doing the whole car. Some of it isn't necessary
Old 09-14-2001, 12:23 AM

start with taking off your spoiler and then finish by tightening your license plate holder. that should take car of the majority of the rattling
Old 09-14-2001, 06:41 AM
STFU n00b!

yup.. one of the worse rattling problems on the back is the liscense plate and any frame you have on it.. Pull the listence plate off, and stick some foam padding behind it, then bolt it back on. if you've got a frame around your plate, either stick some silicone around parts you can't see to stop the vibrations, or otherwise keep it from flopping around..

Also check the wires on your trunk lid.. my biggest noise problem was the wires in the trunk were vibrating against the sheet metal. I dynamatted the trunk lid, then duct-taped the wires to the trunklid and put the cover back on. MUCH better.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the help. It's actually not my license plate at all, just the whole trunk lid.