Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Which AMP for what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 09:18 AM

Which AMP for what?

Ok so I got a Hifonics 200W Amp powering my four speakers. I just got a used set of Kicker Subs and an Alpine V12, 5ch AMP. Which AMP do you recommend I use for what?
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:27 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Hifonics for your bass
Alpine for your mids and highs

Maximadave
Old 10-17-2001, 10:54 AM
jmax

Okay, then how about that fifth channel on the Alpine, which is probably low pass only. You could honestly use just the Alpine. 4 channels for the four speakers you have, fifth for the two subs bridged. Or, if you have three subs, run two off the bridged hifonics and the third off the Alpine.

Old 10-17-2001, 11:18 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

It depends on the Kicker subs on how effecient they are...a sound system sounds better with 2 amps than just 1 even though it is a 5 channel amp. On the 5th channel the most you should do is 10's but the 10's have to be pretty effecient...

Maximadave
Old 10-17-2001, 12:48 PM

use alpine for mids and highs ang get another bigger amp for the kickers. what type of kicker sub and what size is it????
Old 10-17-2001, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by khrfadz
use alpine for mids and highs ang get another bigger amp for the kickers. what type of kicker sub and what size is it????
I got two 12" Kicker Subs. Not sure which model. Anyway... This morning I connected the Alpine to the speakers and Hifonics to the subs. Sounds really great. The only thing is the bass is not too deep. It's fine really, but I guess it might be nice to have more power to the subs. The Hifonics is 50W RMS x 4. Also the speakers sound a little better with the Alpine then with Hifonics.
Now the other thing is I got 4 coaxial Nakamichi speakers. Do you guys recommend I change the front ones to components? I want mine to sound like my friend's. (more of a 3D effect) Thanks!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:46 PM

Components are the only way to go up front. I recommend Focal/MBQuart. They are both great. When I put my finalized system in, I will put in a pair of Focal 165k's up front, running off a mtx302, bout 125 watts to each channel. Then, I will have a mtx500d running my jl12w3. Right now the 302 is running the sub. Sounds good with the bose though. But, yes, comps for sure!! They are much better sounding for SQ!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
Components are the only way to go up front. I recommend Focal/MBQuart. They are both great. When I put my finalized system in, I will put in a pair of Focal 165k's up front, running off a mtx302, bout 125 watts to each channel. Then, I will have a mtx500d running my jl12w3. Right now the 302 is running the sub. Sounds good with the bose though. But, yes, comps for sure!! They are much better sounding for SQ!
I already have Nakamichi speakers. Isn't it better to go with the same brand for components? And I wouldn't need another amp for those, would I?
Old 10-18-2001, 10:13 AM
jmax

Front and rear speakers connect to first four channels of Alpine. This will be four speaker sets, connected to four amp outputs. Do you have the hifonics bridged? Also what crossover frequency are you useing? And which Alpine amp are you using? The Alpine may be able to deliver more power with it's fifth channel, than the hifonics can deliver with all four. What is the total fuse power on the Hifonics? A lot of generics that advertize 200 watts are being very optimistic with that number. Actual output could be significantly lower.

Old 10-18-2001, 10:20 AM
jmax

Front and rear speakers connect to first four channels of Alpine. This will be four speaker sets, connected to four amp outputs. Do you have the hifonics bridged? Also what crossover frequency are you useing? And which Alpine amp are you using? The Alpine may be able to deliver more power with it's fifth channel, than the hifonics can deliver with all four. What is the total fuse power on the Hifonics? A lot of generics that advertize 200 watts are being very optimistic with that number. Actual output could be significantly lower.

Old 10-18-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by jmax
Ok, thanks for replying. Here's what I got:
4 6-1/2" Nakamichi Coaxial speakers
2 12" Kicker Subs
Alpine V12 MRV-F353 (4x50W + 1x150W)
Hifonics Taurus X (4x50W)
Yesterday, with some help, we hooked up Alpine to the speakers and Hifonics to the subs. I hope I did the right thing. Also I am thinking if I should replace the front speakers with same brand components. Wondering what I need for that.
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2001, 02:42 PM

Here is what I would do.. Use one of the amps bridged for the fronts so each one gets 100 watts. Then use another amp for the rear not bridged and use the 5th channel for the sub..

Adam
Old 10-18-2001, 04:03 PM
jmax

"Also I am thinking if I should replace the front speakers with same brand components. Wondering what I need for that."

So will you only have one pair of coaxials at that point? If so hook it up the same way. And you still have one low-pass channel for another sub.

Old 10-18-2001, 04:42 PM

"Also I am thinking if I should replace the front speakers with same brand components. Wondering what I need for that."

So will you only have one pair of coaxials at that point? If so hook it up the same way. And you still have one low-pass channel for another sub.
So you're saying Alpine won't be able to handle components in the front and coaxials in the back?
Old 10-18-2001, 08:12 PM
jmax

"So you're saying Alpine won't be able to handle components in the front and coaxials in the back?"

No, I am saying that it will work fine. That, and you still have the fifth channel of the Alpine that isn't yet devoted to a sub. you know you could put an eight in the center console. For bass in the front of the car.

Old 10-18-2001, 08:15 PM

"So you're saying Alpine won't be able to handle components in the front and coaxials in the back?"

No, I am saying that it will work fine. That, and you still have the fifth channel of the Alpine that isn't yet devoted to a sub. you know you could put an eight in the center console. For bass in the front of the car.
What do you think of Nakamichi components?