Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Garmin StreetPilot III.....COOL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 03:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Garmin StreetPilot III.....COOL!!!

Guys,
FEDEX just dropped off my new STREEPILOT III portable navigation system. The damn thing is awesome!!! -It's very accurate and easy to program. -I like the idea that its portable and I can use it in my girlfriends car too. -The unit is nice lookin, colorfull and speaks very clearly.

Update:
Check out the pictures of my streetpilot III on my car. Let me know what you guys think of it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/19469988QTmASIzSFP

Titot:
Old 10-20-2001, 10:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Get some pics when you can. Have fun not getting lost.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:41 AM

that thing is cool.. i've always wanted one... but couldn't justify the bucks... we'll see about a in-dash DVD/GPS sometime in my life.. heheh...
Old 11-17-2001, 10:04 AM

Pictures as Requested

Guys,
See pictures of my StreetPilot III on my car. The unit is awesome!!!
-Let me know what you guys think of it...

thanks,

http://community.webshots.com/album/19469988QTmASIzSFP
Old 11-17-2001, 10:13 AM

How much did that run you?
Old 11-17-2001, 11:23 AM

Real sharp looking. How much?
Old 11-18-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
Real sharp looking. How much?
Major stores (like Sports Authority, K-Mart) advertise it for $999 without accessories. Accessories can cost anywhere from $200 to $300 dollars. I purchased mine from nvlt.com for $900 US dollars included with all needed accessories.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LOOKS GREAT! Really clear and focused.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:10 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

or...

try gpscity.com, they are authorized Garmin. They don't spam, so do the 'email me a price list'.. I think that unit was in the mid-700 range last time I checked. eCost is even cheaper but not an authorized reseller. I've had to take a few Garmin units back in the past (to the store), so go with a authorized reseller. That doesnt mean they arent rugged and reliable. the ones I've returned were DOA.. I've never had one fail on me and I've been using various models for years.

Personally, I am using an IPAQ with an Etrex right now and waiting on the Teletype software. Garmin waited 2 years to update their already outdated maps (were already outdated in 1999 when released). They just updated their Metroguide, but I was already fed up. If you travel alot the CitySelect will cost you like $300 to unlock them all. I would seriously suggest going on their site and using the map view to verify coverage in your area. its not complete yet. They use Navtech, but I think they are using old NAVtech as some areas arent covered that the new NAVtech data is covering. If they have your area, its hard to beat the Street Pilot 3 package. If not, I have a few options if anyone is interested.

Oh, on a side note... don't even get me started on the route Street Atlas 9 Deluxe (delorme) took me though in Mississippi last month.. ugh.. I dont know if I'll ever trust auto-routing again
Old 11-18-2001, 02:03 PM

Re: or...

Originally posted by TimW
try gpscity.com, they are authorized Garmin. They don't spam, so do the 'email me a price list'.. I think that unit was in the mid-700 range last time I checked. eCost is even cheaper but not an authorized reseller. I've had to take a few Garmin units back in the past (to the store), so go with a authorized reseller. That doesnt mean they arent rugged and reliable. the ones I've returned were DOA.. I've never had one fail on me and I've been using various models for years.

Personally, I am using an IPAQ with an Etrex right now and waiting on the Teletype software. Garmin waited 2 years to update their already outdated maps (were already outdated in 1999 when released). They just updated their Metroguide, but I was already fed up. If you travel alot the CitySelect will cost you like $300 to unlock them all. I would seriously suggest going on their site and using the map view to verify coverage in your area. its not complete yet. They use Navtech, but I think they are using old NAVtech as some areas arent covered that the new NAVtech data is covering. If they have your area, its hard to beat the Street Pilot 3 package. If not, I have a few options if anyone is interested.

Oh, on a side note... don't even get me started on the route Street Atlas 9 Deluxe (delorme) took me though in Mississippi last month.. ugh.. I dont know if I'll ever trust auto-routing again
TimW,
My StreetPilot III came with City Navigator software version 4.0 dated 2000. I simply updated the software to version 4.6 by accessing Garmins web-site and downloading the upgrade. I also purchased the unlock codes for the entire USA including Canada for only $190.00.

-I use auto routing frequently with my unit and have no problems. In-fact, I learned a few shortcut roads with my unit.

Thanks for your input....
Old 11-18-2001, 05:29 PM

cool...

I see they dropped the price of Metroguide to 119 instead of 189. I guess they dropped the full unlock of City Nav. I looked at the viewer and they still havent addressed some problems. Near me, there is an interstate thats been there for 6 years, still no listing. Up in northern California, near St Helena, there are streets that don't exist in the Garmin data.. they've been in Delorme and MS S&T for 3 years.

Nothing would make me happier than goin all Garmin.. trust me.. my life would be alot easier
Old 11-18-2001, 06:34 PM

Re: cool...

I see they dropped the price of Metroguide to 119 instead of 189. I guess they dropped the full unlock of City Nav. I looked at the viewer and they still havent addressed some problems. Near me, there is an interstate thats been there for 6 years, still no listing. Up in northern California, near St Helena, there are streets that don't exist in the Garmin data.. they've been in Delorme and MS S&T for 3 years.

Nothing would make me happier than goin all Garmin.. trust me.. my life would be alot easier
TimW,
Send them am email. Maybe there is a good reason why some streets or major highways are not on the map. Garmin may not be at fault for this particular problem. Sounds like Navtech is not updating their maps like they should be...
Old 11-18-2001, 07:36 PM

haha... garmin a call???

have you tried that? took two weeks to get a call back.

I'm not knockin your SP3.. I love them. I'm was just saying that anyone who wants one should use their online map viewer first. I hope their price drops and recent map upgrades mean they are getting more customer oriented.. if so, I'll be getting one
Old 11-19-2001, 03:52 AM

Re: haha... garmin a call???

have you tried that? took two weeks to get a call back.

I'm not knockin your SP3.. I love them. I'm was just saying that anyone who wants one should use their online map viewer first. I hope their price drops and recent map upgrades mean they are getting more customer oriented.. if so, I'll be getting one
I didn't say call them, I said email them....