Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM

Laub - Bose runs their speakers at 1 ohm, aftermarkets, in the mostgeneral market unless highend, which i mean isnt on the normal market, is ususally the market standard of 4ohms. Chances are, you will fry the speaker coils out. I have heard mixed reviews withd oing what you have done and i do not recommend it. having not tried it myself, for obvious potential implications, i wouldnt do it. The system just isnt designed and made to be mated like that. You can try to keep the BOSE HU, and maybe get it working, but you are driving a 95, and well, bose HU's usually dont last that long anyways, well work well by that point. Im afraid you have become a bose victim.

To be honest, if i was in your place, presented with this problem, i would be removing the BOSE HU and replace it with an aftermarket one. Ontop of that, i would rewire the system. I mean run new wires to the fronts and rears. The wires comming out of the BOSE HU are signal wires and dont supply power to the speakers. The signal goes to the bose amp/amps and power is there fed from there. For this reason, new wires need to be run. Troubleshooting can suck, but if you do this, u remove the intergrated system from the equation and create a new equation that you know how to work . If you are gung hoe with keeping the bose hu, we'll help you troubleshoot that some more, if possible
Old 07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the replies so far guys
so i decided to switch out the Bose HU. i connected the wires from the new HU to the wire harness and the unit turns on but theres no sound coming from any of the speakers so...
i ran a speaker wire straight from my aftermarket HU to the rear speakers and they still work. i guess i have to take Subxeros advice and rewire the whole system then.
any advice/tips on how to do this?
thanks again
Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by laub
thanks for the replies so far guys
so i decided to switch out the Bose HU. i connected the wires from the new HU to the wire harness and the unit turns on but theres no sound coming from any of the speakers so...
i ran a speaker wire straight from my aftermarket HU to the rear speakers and they still work. i guess i have to take Subxeros advice and rewire the whole system then.
any advice/tips on how to do this?
thanks again
Sure do that if you want to blow out your aftermarket decks internal amp.

Attached the remote wire in the harness, then the bose speakers should work.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
Fredb - since the car has a wire for it and the metra harness doesnt, if i remember right, then dont worry about it. There is an illumination constant wire, make sure that one is connected, it should be or your HU wont light up. The dimmer one is for units that have a sep dimmer function. Dont worry about it . Just leave the wire taped off. Ultimately, the wiring harness on your HU will determine what you can connect . As said below, you dont need to connect it, but i would do it/did it for completion sake. Do you have any extra wires?
No extra wires but there is a yellow illumination wire wihch I have matched with the identical yellow illum. wire on my HU harness. Everything else seems to be all set. I am installing it this weekend and will let you know how it goes. I just hope I don't have the low volume problems that some others have encountered when connecting the speakers just by RCA. thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 PM

i hooked up my avic and noticed that my vol. isn't as loud as it normally is... what could be my problem?? is there a gain increase on the stock bose amp?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 AM

The volume problem is a known issue and currently im looking for a cheap solution to the problem. The preamp voltages on alot of headunits arent high enough and the result is a lower volume. BOSE runs their signals at a lower voltage then alot of aftermarket headunits. This leads me to say that a cheap line driver that has some quality to it is what i am after. There are many high quality line drivers such as TRU Technologies one, but thats 300 bux, a big hit to the bank account. If you plan on keeping your car for a while, or plan to swap it out to your next car, then this option may be for you.

It is hard to find a good quality 4 channel line driver which has a good voltage boost on it. Memphis makes what looks to be a quality 2 channel line driver, but thats 6 channels and at like $65 bux online, 2 of them start to get pricey and you might as well buy the tru technology one and do it right with one unit.

Fredb - just tape the wire off if everything else is working

Last edited by SuBXeRo; 07-02-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM

i did the unthinkable (and i'm happy bout it).
i swapped in my bose.

and also i've been experimenting.
some people feel as though bose speakers are crap...
imo they're wrong.

in the front i made a bracket for my 6 1/2 pioneer 3-way.
the bass was decent.
but higher volumes could'nt handle it, pioneer h/u or oem clarion amp.
but i hooked up the bose front speakers (using non bose amp) and the sound was twice as better.

the bass hit at hough volumes and you can still hear the mids and highs.

the rears are 6.5 speakers i don't kow what brand they are but i know this:
the woofer is literally metal (blue).
rubber surround.
deep basket.
and are 1.5 ohms.

so i hooked up the bose amps along with a inline fuse and relay.
AND IT SOUNDS SO GOOD.
i don't even need my sub now.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

any1 know how to install a line output converter on a 07 max with the base HU but has a amp. i tried hooking it up to the rear speakers but i got no sound through the subs.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 AM

92max, the bose speakers are very good ones. The quality themselvesin them is well, pretty papier. The bose speakers are able to hit volumes and produce bass that will beat out alot of regular replacements. The only reason why its preferred in alot of cases to swap them out is because of their stubbornness to intergrating well with aftermarket non-oem products. The system is meant to work with its own components beautifully and not well with others. Notice that the bose speakers work on their own amps or a central one. This amp boasts alot more power than any Headunit could produce, hence why an external amp is always best. The bose is a great alternative to putting in ur own system when u get/buy a car if u dont wanna deal with upgrading, and in most cases, is well worth it over the stock pieces of **** the car companies put in.

Last edited by SuBXeRo; 07-03-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 PM

YES I AGREE!
i love how it sounds. the bass sometimes is too boomy.
but thats ok.
i thought yall was gonna flame me on this.
the highs and mids and well the lows...low volume they hit pretty damn good but once the volume goes over 1/2 way then the amps starts takin out the bass.
so i might leave my sub in, they over power the sub low-to-mid volume, but high the sub takes over...nice.

you guys i'm tellin ya, bose is good.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am considering replacing my speakers with aftermarket Infiniti speakers in my 07 Maxima SE with the Bose system. However, I have heard rumors that no aftermarket speakers will work with the current Bose headunit/ amp combination due to impedence differences.

I am no expert when it comes to this sort of thing, so can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? I understand that bose amps put out 1ohm. So, if I want to replace my speakers with out going through the costly process of replacing the amp, will 2 ohm speakers work sufficently? I am looking at Infiniti Kappas that are rated at 2 ohms. I assume I will have to turn the volume level up a little higher to get the same volume out of them due to the increased resistance, but I don't listen to my music very loud anyways. Are there any other downsides to this setup?

It sure does seem like Bose intentionally makes these things impossible to upgrade.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 PM

well you turn it up it's gonna sound very cluttery as if the speaker can't handle it.
the bass will be bland if there's any.
and you have an 07 se?
why not get a sub and let the bose work on the clarity.

2 ohms wil work but your not gonna like the out come.
trust me a tried this.
i had a pair of aftermarket clarions that was rated at 2ohms when i had my legend ls.
they had a higher power ratin rms etc.
low volumes sounds good, mid to high volume hated it with a passion.

put in the oem crappy paper-thin bose speakers.
and they play better than the a/f speakers.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM

2002 SE Maxima equipped with Bose System without Nav.

So I need to buy a adapter and also buying a mounting kit huh? Great.....

I have the Kenwood 990

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau...roductID=16934
Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quick question i have is, When putting in an aftermarket radio and subwoofer, Do i just bridge the connection to the stock bose sub from an/my amp or should i just leave it disconnected or what do i do with it???
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 AM

Scott LaRock - Yes you do. If you just have the HU right now you need a harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter.

kcxd35 - I'm not too familiar with models that have a built in sub, that would be more of the expertise of like nismos and what not. If you have identified the subwoofer signal cables you are a step ahead of the game.

One aspect is for sure, the subwoofer amp is external and not part of the headunit.

After that, (using common sense on what bose may have done since i dont know for sure)it would either be seperate from the speaker amp or intergrated within. If intergrated in the speaker ampo, it may or may not have its own subwoofer signal wire from the HU that runs with the speaker signal cables, OR, the amp receives the speaker signal and divides the subwoofer signal up to the sub in the amp.

With that said, if your bose sub is disconnected already and good, if it isnt, i would disconnect it. If you kept it connected, you could run into tuning issues being that the bose system is intergrated and may degrade your sound quality. Most likely, it would be in your best interest to have it disconnected and then hookup your new system.

If you havent purchased a HU yet, make sure you purchase one with 3 pairs of preamp out's (front lr, rear lr, sub lr). Especially if you are adding subs, it would be in your best interest to get sub pre outs. Overall it is just a good idea so that your system has good flexibility.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Anyone else get poor FM/AM reception after installing an aftermarket HU? I used this one to a Pioneer FH-P8000BT and Pioneer GEX-P10HD.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM

it could be the tuner in the HU. My radio is pretty good and my antenna is broken, but then again i have an alpine. Is the radio alot more staticy than previously?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM

pioneer is normally good on reception.
my antenna is broke also and i get great reception.
there's an adaptor for the antenna they should have for you...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 AM

im fixing my asap when i get back to school, its ****ing driving me insane
Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM

it could be the tuner in the HU. My radio is pretty good and my antenna is broken, but then again i have an alpine. Is the radio alot more staticy than previously?
Wayyyyyyy more staticy. It really only comes in the closer to the downtown Atl. The HD comes in half the time. It's not that big of a deal now b/c I finally can listen to an iPod in the car but it's nice to have for traffic, sports talk, etc.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Scott LaRock - Yes you do. If you just have the HU right now you need a harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter.
Yeah, I have the HU, basically I need those 3 and I can get them all from crutchfield correct? Also, does it have to be a certain harness? Or can I just get something from the swap shop around my area?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 AM

I posted another thread, but it seems I might get a better answer in here..

2002 SE Bose no navi

Did a little digging and found out my headunit DOES have front, rear and sub pre-amps, but they are only 2V.

Apparently, there are poor quality/volume issues w/ headunits w/ low voltage on the pre-amps.

I want better sound, and want to put in my own sub and amp.

My question; should I:
1. Get the Metra 70-7551 harness and use the RCA, even though there are apparently volume issues and connect sub and amp to new HU

2. Get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 and use the speaker wire route, rather than the RCA; and connect sub amp to new HU.

3. Keep the Bose HU in and use the PAC AOEM-NIS2 for connecting the aftermarket sub and amp?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Chassis Freak

2V pre-outs are pretty standard and are fine with a good amp. My Alpine HU has 2V preouts and the sound quality is excellent. 4V would be better but I can't imagine it's a huge improvement.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by VQuick
2V pre-outs are pretty standard and are fine with a good amp. My Alpine HU has 2V preouts and the sound quality is excellent. 4V would be better but I can't imagine it's a huge improvement.
I'm not worried about the aftermarket sub/amp cause I've had them together for a while and it all sounds fine.

My concern is the 2v preouts going into the Bose amp for front and rear speakers..

My question is whether sticking w/ the original Bose HU or going with the speaker level outputs through the PAC ROEM-NIS2 would provide better sound than the 2V preouts utilized by the Metra 70-7551 while installing my aftermarket amp and sub along with it..
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM

i think i answered u in the other the other thread. 2 volts versus 4 volts is a big difference in the signal strength. You volume will be louder than previously. Def an improvement
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Couple Replacement Questions

I've been searching online (a lot in these forums) all day and have answered most of my questions already but I'm trying to install a system in my 95 Maxima and I still am having some problems.

What I'm installing...

- Pioneer DEH-P3700MP Head Unit
- Alpine 350W 2-way Amp
- 10" JL Audio Sub
- 4x 6 1/2 Rockford Fosgate Speakers

I've taken out the deck, working on connecting the wiring from the harnesses (I've got both sides of the color schemes so that's all set) and I've replaced the speakers in both the front and back.

I'm buying an antenna adapter for the deck but do I need anything else? I tried messin around with the head unit by connecting the battery, ignition, ground wire, and both the positive and negative back left speaker wires but there was no sound even though there was power. There is sound with the old head unit.

Also... do I need to do anything with the speaker amps that came already installed or can I just leave them if my other amp is only connecting to the sub?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 AM

jg7755 - you need the dash kit if you havent done so unless u bought a double din headunit. I assume u bought the metra harness already and you are buying the antenna adapter.

If you have connected all of the wires from the pioneer wiring harness to the metra harness you should be good when you connect the metra harness into the stock plug of the car and eveything should light up and work. Make sure that the headunit is configured to use the internal amp, sometimes there is a way to disable the HU amp if you are using an external amp for your speakers. You just need to read your manual and tinker.

I noticed that your headunit also has 2 pair of preamp out jacks. Good news is that you can use the front or rear pair of jacks to send a signal to your subwoofer amplifier. Bad news is that you will lack the ability to control the subwoofer in dash like other headunits that have subwoofer preamp out jacks as well as the front and rear preamp outs. But this is ok, you can adjust the gain settings and LPF on the alpine amp itself. Other good news is that you wont have to take a signal from the rear speakers and put it to a line converter to get a signal to the amp as this is done with most stock bose system when you want to add subs. So jump for joy in that aspect.

As far as the speaker amps go, you could leave them, i think the 95's are setup the same way as the 96-99's, but i would remove them to be honest, its just dead weight and simple to remove. Let alone the rear deck has the amps right below the speaker cone.

As a tip for your HU install, get all the parts you need to get it properly connected and then try testing it.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright so I bought the dash kit, antenna adapter and harness... Now I don't have any power to my head unit? I was testing out the harness to see if it would work and it did for a few seconds then it died out. I figured I had blown a fuse or something. I checked the fuses in the car - all good. On the head unit - good. Ground supply - tested multiple spots and both harnesses are fine. Also, my old head unit still works when connected so I know its something with the Pioneer HU. Can this be fixed?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM

I have a Blaupunkt Laguna CD35 and it only has 2V pre'amps but it sounds terrific not even an oz of static in it. and their right with the 2V pre amps running to an AMP it probably wont matter too much. i know mine sure as heck doesnt.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jg7755
Alright so I bought the dash kit, antenna adapter and harness... Now I don't have any power to my head unit? I was testing out the harness to see if it would work and it did for a few seconds then it died out. I figured I had blown a fuse or something. I checked the fuses in the car - all good. On the head unit - good. Ground supply - tested multiple spots and both harnesses are fine. Also, my old head unit still works when connected so I know its something with the Pioneer HU. Can this be fixed?
check your ground points again. and again. and again. you need to remember that the HU is not only grounded by the Ground wire but also by the chasis of the hu to the car's chasis. so make sure its grounded right. i remember screwing around for an hour just to find out that my grounds were insufficient.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Quick question,

Will the controls on the steering wheel of my 02 maxima work with a aftermarket radio as well?

Also, anyone have the link of the exact harness I need for my Max?

2002 Max with bose no navi.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:05 PM

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...px?i=142C4NN03

found it.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think i answered u in the other the other thread. 2 volts versus 4 volts is a big difference in the signal strength. You volume will be louder than previously. Def an improvement
I finally had my alpine 9885 installed yesterday using the 70-7551 harness. However the volume really isnt too good even though the 9885 has the 4V preouts. The CD player at max volume is what I would consider acceptable, but the radio and the ipod at max volume are not loud at all. Is it possible that the guys who installed it did something wrong, or is that just how it is with the 4V preout?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM

kgallerie - the 4v stll isnt enough. try using the loudness function. If you press and hold the volume **** it turns it on and off. I have a 9883 and this is what i had to do and i have 2v preamps. My cd volume is much better than my radio and ipon as well and a line driver would help the issue. Tru Technology makes a good line drive but it breaks the bank at 300 bux. Phoenix gold makes a line driver that i will be trying that is 60 bux. Ill be doing that mid august due to me being away from my car.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I tried playing with every adjustment (including the loud function) this morning on the way into work. Boston traffic is actually good when playing with your new radio

I may try switching to the scosche harness like evil empire did and see how that works. Then if the base isnt great at the lower volumes like he said, then I can add a sub later.

I'm just kind of confused because there is a pretty strong general concensus from the guys on here that 4V would be plenty, and its seems to have not worked. Is theres anything else that it could be? I am getting sound out of all speakers and the sub, so i dont think it has anything to do with loose connections or anything.

Thanks again.

Last edited by vball_max; 07-24-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd like to put a "carputer" in my 96 Maxima (with Bose). I want to remove the head unit and put a touch screen in its place but keep the stock speakers. I'd rather not have any head unit at all, but use a pc to control the sound. What do I need to get sound from the computer to the speakers? It looks like the common recommendation is the 70-7551 harness for people who want to use a different head unit. But I don't want to use any head unit, just the sound coming out from the computer. (Please have mercy on this new guy.)
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I may have found my answer here: http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...-carputer.html
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Toolie

just bought the 40-ni10 diversity antenna adapter, but it appears I don't really need it. I can see that the male connection from the nissan antenna in the car plugs into the female of the 40-ni10 and the male of the 40-ni10 plugs into the aftermarket stereo. But what plugs into the female end of the 40-ni10?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
Quick question,

Will the controls on the steering wheel of my 02 maxima work with a aftermarket radio as well?

Also, anyone have the link of the exact harness I need for my Max?

2002 Max with bose no navi.
I used this http://www.pac-audio.com/vag.html
bought it at a local audio/accessory place and it was much cheaper than the $69 Crutchfield price but i dont remember exctly what I paid.

Last edited by '02_EMILBUS; 08-05-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 PM

Head unit recs?

I have a 2002 SE with bose/subwoofer. I think the speakers are decent, and want to change out the HU (buggy CD changer, and I want ipod connectivity). Can I get a few recs on HU that have worked well for somebody else. I'm looking for good "middle of the road" HU or a bit better. A DVD player would be ok, but not necessary.

Any recs appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread