Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 12:31 AM

Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

Hi folks,

I know this has been brought up God knows how many times but I'm going to ask it again. Are there any more other alternatives to the Dynamat stuff? I've pretty much decided to go with RAAMmat but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper out there that does the same thing. I know of Brownbread and Bquiet. Also, since I'm gonna order some rolls this weekend, for the RAAMmat, there is only on type right? I mean, it's not like Dynamat that have 4-5 different things. I'm also gonna by some carpet padding, is that something that I can just pick up at Home Depot or something?

More importantly though, I'm a dud when it comes to sound deadening the car. I checked out SweetSound2001's (Anton I believe) site and others as well but I'm a little lost. Can someone give be a play-by-play description on how to isntall these things. What goes first? Let's say I have bare metal, what goes next? Mastic, Raammat, carpet padding, undercoating? Also, how do the spray cans work and in what order do they come in? Particularly for wheel wells? Sorry for all the questions but I wanna get this right the first time and make sure I kinda know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mike H.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:40 AM

Re: Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

not to get too off track, but i'm having problems contacting the guy, what about you?? you having problems contacting him??? and where r u located? if you're in my area, wanna split the order with me so we save on shipping and maybe we can get a discount..
-daniel
ps i plan to get 4 rolls
Old 11-09-2001, 06:44 AM

Re: Re: Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

Originally posted by mingo
not to get too off track, but i'm having problems contacting the guy, what about you?? you having problems contacting him??? and where r u located? if you're in my area, wanna split the order with me so we save on shipping and maybe we can get a discount..
-daniel
ps i plan to get 4 rolls

No, I haven't contacted him yet, since I wanna get this information first. I'm located in Northridge, CA (in the valley). On top of that I'm not sure how many rolls I need either, hence the question.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:32 AM
jmax

I used to have Rick's number but don't see it laying around here anywhere. He's also somewhere in California. You might want to check Ebay or elite car audio. He sometimes posts on those sites.

As far as RAAMmat goes I think there is just one variety unless he recently started selling something new. You can pick up a similar material at Lowes or Home Depot. The version I got is called Peel and Seal. Lowes in VA sells 12.5 square feet for $12.47. And you can pick up the carpet padding at any hardware store, carpet store, etc.
The order you apply materials will depend on exactly which materials you choose. And sometimes the various adhesives, or materials themselves will be incompatible with each other. Some of the sprays are rubbery, essentially rubberized undercoating. These will be able to stick to most anything including flexible items like wire looms. Others, like Cascade, are water-based and need to be on a rigid surface or they will flake off. So if you want to spray a panel or material that may flex more than a door skin don't use Cascade. But for trunks and for doors the deadening that Cascade has imparted to my car is magnificent. But make sure you follow the can shaking instructions. The stuff is a lot harder to mix than a normal can of spray paint. The 5 gallon version works great if you have air tools and a sprayer. But allow 1-3 hours dry time between thin coats, depending on temperature and humidity.

RAAMmat will probably stick to mastic, but the other way may not work. Also changes depending on temperature. The mastics and vinyl materials stick a lot better when hot. If you use a heat gun they will stick to the RAAMmat. Both are barriers as well as dampers so I don't think it matters much which you add first. I would put the carpet padding in next as a sound wave absorber. Some of the sheet material (mastic and raammat) may pull the spray material off the sheet metal. So you may want to spray after the sheet material. I don't know how well the latex water base materials will stick to smooth aluminum.

Hope this gives you some ideas what to expect without confuseing.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

San Diego. Raam @raamaudio.com
Rick McCallum is his name.

Anton
Old 11-09-2001, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

Originally posted by Mike H.

No, I haven't contacted him yet, since I wanna get this information first. I'm located in Northridge, CA (in the valley). On top of that I'm not sure how many rolls I need either, hence the question.
i'm also located in california, i'm in the bay area, Palo alto.. if we can get an order out together then that'll be great.. i was recomended 4 rolls for my car... (the whole car, trunk, cabin, roof)
Old 11-09-2001, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
San Diego. Raam @raamaudio.com
Rick McCallum is his name.

Anton
I was just gonna e-mail you. Can you tell me how you did your install. I read your site over and over again but I'm still a litlle confused on what to start with. Let's say, I start with bare metal on in the trunk, what do I put on first? My guess is mastic. Now where does the rubber undercoating from the spray come in? Also, that raammat stuff, where does that go? Or is that the mastic? When do I put the carpet padding on? Do I put mastic or whatever over it? I really appreciate all your help as I wanna get the supplies this weekend and at least have a decent know-how on how to go about this project. Plus I don't want to mess up the first time, since it's a PITA to take off. Thanks. I'll probably e-mail privately with more questions. Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike H.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dynamat alternatives and install questions...

i'm also located in california, i'm in the bay area, Palo alto.. if we can get an order out together then that'll be great.. i was recomended 4 rolls for my car... (the whole car, trunk, cabin, roof)
Maybe we can set up a group buy or something, since from what I have counted come out to 9 rolls (I'm only getting 1 for now since I want to get used to it first, so the trunk is the easiest thing to do.)
Old 11-09-2001, 09:29 PM

I was just gonna e-mail you. Can you tell me how you did your install.
Regards,
Mike H.
First, strip everything and clean all interior metal with acetone or some sort of degreaser.
Add Raam mat or mastic in layes over entire areas such a floor, trunk etc. If you use raam mat, it will save you a lot of time since there is no need for a heat gun. Once you got everything covered put a thick layer of carpet padding on the floor, trunk and between door skins. I can talk for hours but my website has 98% of the info you need to know.

Anton
Old 11-09-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by jmax
I You can pick up a similar material at Lowes or Home Depot. The version I got is called Peel and Seal.
i tried home depot in my area today, the didn't have the stuff.. my friend is going to look into lowes not too far away from me..
Old 11-09-2001, 09:37 PM

First, strip everything and clean all interior metal with acetone or some sort of degreaser.
Add Raam mat or mastic in layes over entire areas such a floor, trunk etc. If you use raam mat, it will save you a lot of time since there is no need for a heat gun. Once you got everything covered put a thick layer of carpet padding on the floor, trunk and between door skins. I can talk for hours but my website has 98% of the info you need to know.

Anton
Ok, so clean first (that's a gimmie), mastic or raammat next. Is the stuff from mcmaster that mastic stuff? I was going to go with 2 layers for now. then the carpet padding? DO I use glue to stick that stuff on? Like 3M? Also, where does the spary come in? I want to do the same thing as you did with the wheel wells. WHen do I do that? After the raammat, but before the carpet padding? Thanks again.

Mike H.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:40 PM

Youre in the right direction. What wheel wells thing? Don't bother with the spray, it's more of a PITA. Just stick with the Raam mat for everything.

Anton
P.S im me if you have instant messenger

Vicadent2000
Old 11-09-2001, 11:01 PM

Youre in the right direction. What wheel wells thing? Don't bother with the spray, it's more of a PITA. Just stick with the Raam mat for everything.

Anton

Vicadent2000
Which one? AOL or Yahoo?
Old 11-09-2001, 11:05 PM

AOL
Old 11-10-2001, 01:08 AM

AOL
Sorry. I've got Yahoo. I'll just PM you about it so I don't take up the bandwidth. It would be nice for my post counter though.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:11 AM

Anton

Vicadent2000
One more question and then I should be done. After putting on the raammat and then carpet padding, do I put on another layer of the mat (to hold things in place) or do I put the panels back?? How do I apply the carpet padding? Just adhesive? Thanks again for you inputs.

Regards,
Mike
Old 11-11-2001, 01:17 AM

One more question and then I should be done. After putting on the raammat and then carpet padding, do I put on another layer of the mat (to hold things in place) or do I put the panels back?? Thanks again for you inputs.
Regards,
Mike
Just put the panels back on.

?? How do I apply the carpet padding? Just adhesive?
Use carpeting glue or trim adhesive
Old 11-11-2001, 01:31 AM

Just put the panels back on.

Use carpeting glue or trim adhesive
Cool! Got it now.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:44 AM

Cool! Got it now.
remember not to have carpet padding in the door panels, or else your'e going to jam your windows when the padding gets wet and falls off. use it on your floors and possibly roof... i got this off sweetsounds website.. (very informative website)
Old 11-11-2001, 10:34 AM

remember not to have carpet padding in the door panels, or else your'e going to jam your windows when the padding gets wet and falls off. use it on your floors and possibly roof... i got this off sweetsounds website.. (very informative website)
That's why you put it between the metal and the vinyl door skin.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:44 PM

That's why you put it between the metal and the vinyl door skin.
how bout just use a grip load of expansion foam in the door skins??? that wawy it'll stick and it absorbs sound too..
Old 11-11-2001, 08:17 PM
jmax

Actually you can do that. But remember that it can continue to expand for 24 hours. Don't alow it to interfere with the window sliders, hinges, handle, lock, etc. Also, if you reduce the volume of the door to near 0 your door speakers will no longer behave as free air speakers, the way they were designed to be installed. And also don't block the little holes at the bottom of the door, that allow water to drain.

Old 11-12-2001, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by jmax
Actually you can do that. But remember that it can continue to expand for 24 hours. Don't alow it to interfere with the window sliders, hinges, handle, lock, etc. Also, if you reduce the volume of the door to near 0 your door speakers will no longer behave as free air speakers, the way they were designed to be installed. And also don't block the little holes at the bottom of the door, that allow water to drain.
i thot of the air space thing.. but i'm going to be ok with it since i'm going to be using my rocker panels as teh enclosure for my midbass which will be in the kicks... or maybe the other way around.. dont' knwo what i want to inject with minimul expansion foam...