Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Remote Start Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Remote Start Install Problems

Hey guys, i was having a remote start installed on my 2002 Max. I have had two shops try and fail now. They can get the car starting no problem. The issue comes in when they are wiring up the door locks for the remote start controller. Neither shop can get this to work. They are tying into the harness in the door and the second installer knew about the double pulse to control the doors and still could not get it to work. When we started, the factory keyless was working perfectly. I had recently programmed a remote to it and it was working so I conclude it was in tip condition. Now, after this second install atempt, my car will lock the doors, but will not unlock them with the factory fob with no remote start box installed at all I can hear the relay click for each function, however, so possibly a wire off? He checked all fuses and also exaimed the pcb of the factory keyless brain and found nothing burnt or broken. Why is this such an issue? I have looked at wiring diagrams myself and it looks quite straight forward. So, as of now - I have no unlock function on my factory keyless, no remote start installed at all, and when a remote start is installed, they can only perform the function lock or unlock by switch some wires around. If anyone has had woes similar please give me a hand. The two systems were a BullyDog and a AutoPage, the AutoPage guy had installed them professionally for years and was doing them on the side now, he had certs with autopage and couldn't do it. Also, his boss has a 02 max with remote start. they compared wires and it was wired correctly.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM

There is absolutely nothing special about Nissan door locks. A simple double pulse has never failed me. But if you've returned it to factory and it still has issues then I'd have to guess that one of the installers could have probed the wrong wire and caused something from the factory to take a ****?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
There is absolutely nothing special about Nissan door locks. A simple double pulse has never failed me. But if you've returned it to factory and it still has issues then I'd have to guess that one of the installers could have probed the wrong wire and caused something from the factory to take a ****?
Agreed and must again stress NOTHING special about these. Hell 5th gens alone I did, hmmm ... a couple hundred?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 AM
tastey wheat

....lol

you need to find someone who knows what they are doing. They probably blew an ECU or cut a wire or worse.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 AM

I am pretty sure they knew what they were doing as each installer has done many of these before. Just in this case nothing is working for them. I can hear a relay click when I press lock and unlock on my factory fob, it just will not unlock the doors. Assuming the remote start was wired correctly with double pulse set up, would the door lock computer be the only other thing that could cause a problem, or the relay in the door?