Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where is the best website/company to buy an Optima yellow top battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

Where is the best website/company to buy an Optima yellow top battery?

As title says. My battery on my Maxima finally died after 7 years. Looking to upgrade and was curious if you guys knew of any good deals on the worldwide intraweb? Trying to save as much loot as possible.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Last time I worked in the industry, there's wasn't a lot of markup on those things, so I'd start working my social circles and see if I knew someone who can get an employee discount!

So you're going Yellow Top under the hood? I thought that Red Top was for under the hood?

Last edited by ekrunch; 10-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

^^I thought they were both for under the hood?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM

It was my understanding that the Yellow Top is a Deep Cycle battery, designed to be run almost dead if needed. Great for a rear battery for the audio nuts like myself. I thought the Red Top was more suited for the requirements of starting the car.

Looks like I'm wrong though. It's been a while since I've worked in the industry. I just checked the web site and the Yellow Top is now listed as a Dual Purpose battery including starting. The tagline is that it's "perfect for modern accessory loaded vehicles." Sounds like a good fit for a Maxima! The Red Top is listed as a starting only battery now. Interesting. We always ran Red Top under the hood and Yellow Top in the back.

Well, learn something new every day I suppose.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

back to topic please.

anyone know of any better sites then ebay??
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Banned

optimas are not the best battery. this has been discussed before. just go with a normal SLA from walmart. I can go into detail if you would like.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

I'm not looking for inputs on which battery to go with. I have already done my research and will be buying an optima yellow top. I am merely looking for suggestions on websites/companies to get the biggest discount.

Thank you for your input though.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 AM
tastey wheat

theres a few for sale on caraudio.com... also, craigslist? this is all assuming you can deal with used.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

mendon, thanks man for your suggestion. but I am looking to buy brand new.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Teaner
mendon, thanks man for your suggestion. but I am looking to buy brand new.
The best I found on the web was $139.95 shipped. Check out amazon.com
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

or Costco
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew
or Costco
Come to think of it, I've seen them at Sams Club too. Might want to give them a try as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything. Ekrunch how you like your KCE-400BT. Im about to replace my 300BT with it. Just waiting for the ipod cable to get here. My 300 sucks, but the 400 is suppose to be the s**t! Yes? No?

Also, my family lives in Cary. Saw you were in Lake in the Hills.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything. Ekrunch how you like your KCE-400BT. Im about to replace my 300BT with it. Just waiting for the ipod cable to get here. My 300 sucks, but the 400 is suppose to be the s**t! Yes? No?

Also, my family lives in Cary. Saw you were in Lake in the Hills.
I'll send you a message and we can discuss. But I like it a lot. :-)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

tried costco and sams club here in MD. That is a "no go".

Looking at amazon and Optimabatteries.com
Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 PM

If you can get it for $139.99 shipped from Amazon, that's the cheapest. I think I paid about $140 + tax from Costco.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

cant find that price on amazon anymore.

best price shipped i have found has been $182.95

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
Old 10-09-2010, 05:22 PM

cant find that price on amazon anymore.

best price shipped i have found has been $182.95

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
Yea, whats up with that!?! I'm getting $173.99 on amazon. I swear it was $139.95 shipped just the other day!?! hmm!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Banned

they arn't worth the money.

i'd buy locally the shipping should equal out to the cheaper price paid online...

Last edited by AMaxima2Envy; 10-10-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

and why aren't they worth the money? I would love to hear this.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Banned

I'm not looking for inputs on which battery to go with. I have already done my research and will be buying an optima yellow top.

Thank you for your input though.
and why aren't they worth the money? I would love to hear this.
THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!!!

Here is my research:

optima red/yellow top 800 CCAs: $140 +
generic walmart battery 850CCAs: $60 bucks

The Optima propaganda...excuse me, literature also states that, "It'll last up to 3 times longer than other batteries" and "It can sit unused 3 times longer than other batteries". What a joke.

there is no way one optima will outlast 'normal' 2-3 SLAs. in fact many members on here have gone though multiple red/yellow tops having them last a year or two tops. The thing with optimas is people who paid 150 bucks hate to admit it's no better then a SLA from walmart.

Talk to some audio installers for cars. Most of them will steer you away from Optima as there is better, cheaper, more reliable stuff out there. like an Exide Extreme at $150 is a far better.

"I am still an optima dealer even though I don't sell them anymore. For every 10 I sold I probably got 9 of them back within the first 2 years. They wouldn't hold a charge. I doesn't seem to matter red/yellow/ or blue. I had a yellow deep cycle in my own wrangler that was junk before it was 2 years old. It wouldn't hold a charge if you let it sit more that 2 days without starting. For those of you who don't believe me, wait until you have to try and warranty your battery. I still have 4 at my shop that I can't get optima to adjust that are all less than 3 years old."

Originally Posted by DanNY
Had to return 2 red top back to the dealer. the 3rd time it bombed i just called it a day and picked up a regular battery.
Omerta One
I have not had good luck with the Optimas; Trojan or Oddessy AGM's are waaaaay better.

QWKRN U

I used to be a optima fan, always had good luck with them. As BgBoost mentioned, you had to always slow charge them to get proper power and life out of them. As of late Ive been doing battery research and the optima's today are not holding up as well as the older ones. Many folks now are suggesting the oddeseys and Kinetik batteries.

Originally Posted by z32drifter
The redtop in my Maxima is the 3rd or 4th one since 2000. The one in my Z32 just made it past the 3yr warranty when it died, it was replaced with a PC680MJT.
Originally Posted by largestal
Optima yellow here. Never again. Too much money for only a mid-perfomer of a battery. They do look good but I think they should last longer than 3 years. Probably going to go Duralast as they have worked well in my motorhome.
Originally Posted by AceofSpds
+1 It seems the newer optima redtops batteries are pieces of crap.
Originally Posted by meccanoble
Anyway, i have went through 2 yellow top batteries within a 1 year period due to weakness and it makes me wonder if the yellow top is really the best battery.
Originally Posted by iansw
My yellow top died after a year.
I can go on finding these quotes all day long...most of the quotes are from respected guys who have been on this forum for a while: danNY, mecca, iansw, etc.

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Walmart MAXX!!! Best Buy in Consumer Reports
Personally I use Walmart Maxx batteries for my boats and cars. Why? 1st there is a walmart EVERYWHERE. I don't need a receipt to return it and it's prorated for 5 years after the manufacturers 2 year warranty! Also i'v had a great experience with them. Right now in the max sits a maxx with 825CCA and more amp hours then a redtop all while costing $50 less.

Could you please show me your research?

Even at the end of the day regardless of horrible quality issues the 'bang for your buck' just isn't there. 2-3 times more expensive then a 'normal' SLA? It does not last 2-3 times as long or perform 2-3 times better. I don't see how anyone can justify how they are a 'better' battery in terms of 'bang for your buck', and at the end of the day how much you spent vs. how much you get out of any purchase is the real deciding factor.

Last edited by AMaxima2Envy; 10-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
blah

Originally Posted by AMaxima2Envy
THANK YOU FOR ASKING!!!!

Here is my research. I'm guessing you didn't do your research on here.

optima red/yellow top 800 CCAs: $140 +
generic walmart battery 850CCAs: $60 bucks

The Optima propaganda...excuse me, literature also states that, "It'll last up to 3 times longer than other batteries" and "It can sit unused 3 times longer than other batteries". What a joke.

there is no way one optima will outlast 'normal' 2-3 SLAs. in fact many members on here have gone though multiple red/yellow tops having them last a year or two tops. The thing with optimas is people who paid 150 bucks hate to admit it's no better then a SLA from walmart.
Well in my experience I picked up a red top from sears over 6 years ago and its still starts my car reliably. And I have jumped many cars with it hooked up as well. It also did a great job when my pulley for the alt belt broke on my max it kept the car running at night with lights on for a 30 min ride home. I've used other batteries energizer/duralast/prostart and they only gave me 2-3 yrs of use out of them. I may have paid $150 for it which is almost double the price of the others but it has lasted over double the time so it was well worth it. In my situation optima's 'propaganda' held true. And fyi cca/$ is not a good way of comparing batteries so do some more research on how batteries operate.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

I used cca because that is what most people think matters(and it does matter if you live in the north like me). All the batt manufacturers seem to think that the CCA is the most important factor to the consumer. I don't have the ampere hours handy or RCMs for the 'wall mart maxx' or the optima(which really depends on exactly which version you are talking about as the larger they get the pricier they get). I'm sure the SLA from wallmart has more or extremly close ampere hours/RCMs than the red/yellow top anyways at 1/2 the price.

Give me your optima model and we can compare directly every spec, price, etc.

You are doing something wrong if your 'generic' SLI are lasting only 2-3 years. 1st they would still be under full warranty which is fine other than the hassle of 10 minutes replacing it. However seeing as all the batteries are built by only 4 companies I think they would be very interested to know why they fail so quick. It does seem odd doesn't it? Not to say you couldn't have just had a bit of bad luck but it does seem odd. There is a reason that most are prorated 84 months(7 years) I'v personally never had one fail under 5 years that I can recall for instance. perhaps you get the bad luck and i get the good?

I know we can all come up with stories about battery X lasting so long so it's worth it. For instance: Got a 92 maxima for free with a battery in it who knows how old it was then. It then sat all year long every year and was used only in the winter or once in a while during the year to run to the parts store, it was never trickle charged. Months without running often, now it's in my troller motor batt box where is gets 'beat up' discharged and recharged all summer long. This is 6 years after I got the car going on 7 and it was not new when I got it. The battery is at least 7-8 years old and keeps on going after lots of neglect and mistreatment. Not to discredit your story i just have one too.

Popular Mechanics lists the Exide Battery as one of the best. This battery comes with one of the best warranties in the business. It features a full 40-month free replacement and a 108-month limited warranty. When they say free, they mean it. A no-charge replacement is provided when you return a defective battery. Along with this, the warranty also provides free 24-hour emergency jumpstart assistance for 40 months. They post the emergency number right on the battery label.

for a maxima a NAPA Legend 7535 ($60) is fine basically 1/3 the price.

Last edited by AMaxima2Envy; 10-11-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Had 2-3 optimas in my Maxima in past 2-3 yrs, overated garbage. Got a simpe Duralast from Autozone, no problems so far in the past 1.5 yrs
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

Will some of the guru's please give their opinions on this topic. Dj? Pearl96? I have been out of the audio game for a while and would like some professional opinions about these batteries...
Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Honestly you should ask on a car audio forum. Not to take away from the gurus on here. I find forums devoted to one thing alone generally has better/more accurate information especially regarding car audio.

try http://www.caraudio.com/forums/forum.php is decent.
or http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/

good luck! don't buy into the hype. look at what people competing in car audio use.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Premium Sponsor

Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. In response to Teaner's original question regarding the best website for purchasing an Optima, I would give the following advice-

Any retailer from which you purchase a new Optima should provide warranty service for you, for the full duration of your warranty. However, there are some online retailers that do not. We strongly recommend that you find out the warranty procedures before making a purchase. If the seller’s procedure is to contact the manufacturer or if they do not provide a customer service phone number that they answer (not the Optima batteries customer service number) we recommend looking elsewhere.

For same-day purchases and service we recommend visiting your nearest Optima retailer, as online purchases can take multiple days to arrive. Likewise, in the event that product support service is needed, online purchases must be shipped back to the original seller and can take several days to be processed and returned.

OPTIMA-authorized online retailer requirements:
• Ship Optima products in approved shipment packaging
• Answer a toll-free service phone number during business hours
• Adhere to and honor the Optima factory warranty policy
• Provide an in-house warranty program

We do recommend YellowTop batteries for deep-cycle applications, including car audio, but an appropriately-sized YellowTop will offer plenty of cranking amps as well. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) are an important consideration if you live somewhere cold. However, most folks should be fine as long as their replacement battery meets or exceeds the OEM requirements. Reserve capacity can be a more important consideration if someone is more serious about a car audio application, runs significant auxilliary lighting or plans on running their stereo for long periods of time with the engine off.

Amaxima2Envy, you quoted someone named “bfulmer.” If you know this person (or any of the other people you quoted), please have them contact me, as I would like to assist them with the problems they are having. I spend quite a bit of time reading up on conversations about our batteries online and one of the most common questions asked is, “What is the difference between a RedTop and YellowTop battery?” As it turns out, there are quite a few folks who do not realize some batteries are designed for starting applications and are referred to as “SLI” batteries (starting/lighting/ignition), while other batteries are designed for deep-cycle applications, although many of those batteries can also be used as starting batteries, provided they offer enough cranking amps for the specific application. Our RedTop batteries are SLI batteries and are not designed for deep-cycle applications, including vehicles with large stereos, trucks with winches or trolling motors. Our YellowTop batteries are designed for those deep-cycle applications, but can also be used as starting batteries. The Wal-Mart Maxx battery is also considered a deep-cycle battery.

Our batteries can and do last up to twice as long as conventional flooded batteries. This is not a baseless claim, but one based on extensive fleet testing in some of the most-demanding conditions on earth. We routinely come across folks who have been using our batteries for 9, 12, and even 20 years. If Batxel was “doing something wrong” because his flooded battery only lasted two to three years, are all the people cited as having problems with their Optima batteries in the first two to three years also doing something wrong?

The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is to make sure voltage never drops below 12.4 volts and if it does, the battery should be recharged with a battery charger as soon as possible. When batteries are discharged below 12.4 volts and allowed to sit in that state, sulfation begins to diminish both performance and longevity. That makes a quality battery tender or maintainer a great investment for any vehicle that is not driven daily. Likewise, if a battery is discharged to the point where it needs to be jump-started, the battery should be fully-charged with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Asking an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned

It is great to hear from an optima rep!

bfulmer is a member on here who runs a car audio shop. Feel free to PM him. It didn't show up with a link to PM him because of the way I quoted him.

I have heard multiple times from multiple sources that when you moved your manufacturing out of the US to Mexico the quality went downhill. Can you touch on that?

Also, would you please comment on why your company would take jobs away from Americans and give them to another country?

Why you told 140+ plant operators that they wouldn't have jobs on thanksgiving a month away from Xmass? When before you told them they would have jobs and the other plant opening in another country wasn't going to effect them?

Why you stated that "the economy has changed dramatically over the past several months and we find ourselves in a very difficult market." Doors will close on Jan. 31" How is selling overpriced batteries a difficult market? I would love to know what changed specifically in the economy that made manufacturing that much more expensive and your only solution was SHIPPING AMERICAN JOBS TO MEXICO? Are you sure it wasn't because labor is 1/10th the price along with all the other benefits like increasing your profit margin even more? I know what you are going to say the same corporate bull**** they always do: "Our company has no choice. If our company doesn't move their operations offshore, our competition will, and either way our business would be lost." All the while the business owners are reaping huge massive profits and milking the company for all they can while putting hard working Americans out of a job.

I believe you make overpriced sub par quality batteries, while you take jobs away from Americans with a product that is not even close to the best bang for your buck.

I would love to have a discussion with you about optima's performance per $ vs. other battery manufacturers. We'll ignore quality for this discussion or putting Americans out of a job.

Last edited by AMaxima2Envy; 10-14-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Premium Sponsor

Hi Amaxima2Envy, I did actually attempt to PM “bfulmer” before replying to this thread. However, the search function on this site indicated he is not a member here, or if he was, he hasn't re-registered prior to a crash that occurred three years ago. I wasn't sure if he or any of the other people you quoted were people you actually knew or how old their quotes were, but if you did know any of them, feel free to have them contact me.

My primary purpose on this site and hundreds of others is to serve as a resource for people who have our batteries or may have questions about them. However, questions about our production facility in Monterrey, Mexico, do come up occasionally. I don't set corporate policy for Optima, but I am happy to forward your concerns to the appropriate parties.

Regarding quality, Optima is part of a world-class, global company and regardless of the manufacturing location, we place a strong emphasis on continuous improvement. We’ve seen increased ratings compliance, among other improvements since the state-of-the-art facility was opened. It’s important to point out that all engineering specifications and quality standards are equal to, if not higher than, those in the Colorado facility. We do not outsource Optima production to third-party manufacturers or modify the specifications of our batteries for any of our retail partners.

If there are any other questions regarding our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 AM
blah

Originally Posted by AMaxima2Envy
You are doing something wrong if your 'generic' SLI are lasting only 2-3 years. 1st they would still be under full warranty which is fine other than the hassle of 10 minutes replacing it. However seeing as all the batteries are built by only 4 companies I think they would be very interested to know why they fail so quick. It does seem odd doesn't it? Not to say you couldn't have just had a bit of bad luck but it does seem odd. There is a reason that most are prorated 84 months(7 years) I'v personally never had one fail under 5 years that I can recall for instance. perhaps you get the bad luck and i get the good?
How was I doing something wrong before and now I'm doing right? None of the batteries I had were prorated for 7 years. They were cheap simple store brand batteries. They all had either 12 or 24 month free replacements. They all lasted through the replacement period then gave out. Batteries probably last longer than they used to I've been at disconnect from what is going on in the battery world since my battery is lasting so long. Yes it could take 10 min to replace a battery if it conveniently dies when you're at walmart and the store is still open. Would if you work at night when all the stores are closed and you come out to the car and it doesn't start?