Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Buying a new car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying a new car

So I'm buying an 08 honda accord coupe ex-l and trading in my current car which has my audio in it. The only part I really want to get out is the amp which is an ipaul 4 channel amp. What would be the easiest way to take it out? Can I just cut the wires and unscrew the amp from the rack? Pretty sure there's a fuse that got installed but not sure where it would be.. I have a '96 max.

Btw would the amp be okay to put in my new car without blowing the speakers? It comes with a 270 watt stereo or something like that. Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by '96 B-rad
So I'm buying an 08 honda accord coupe ex-l and trading in my current car which has my audio in it. The only part I really want to get out is the amp which is an ipaul 4 channel amp. What would be the easiest way to take it out? Can I just cut the wires and unscrew the amp from the rack? Pretty sure there's a fuse that got installed but not sure where it would be.. I have a '96 max.

Btw would the amp be okay to put in my new car without blowing the speakers? It comes with a 270 watt stereo or something like that. Thanks
The fuse should be near the battery, make sure to remove it before the amp. Also note the speakers will not work anymore if you just pull the amp.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ricksi30
The fuse should be near the battery, make sure to remove it before the amp. Also note the speakers will not work anymore if you just pull the amp.
Thanks! And yeah I know the speakers won't work but that doesn't matter since the dealer said it's just going to wholesale anyway.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks! And yeah I know the speakers won't work but that doesn't matter since the dealer said it's just going to wholesale anyway.
Cool cool, yeah just make sure you remove the fuse so you don't damage that nice amp! I wouldn't install your amp in your new ride either unless you upgrade the speakers. Stock speakers have goofy impedance's sometimes and if it's a 270 watt system that is likely peak power and your amp would over power the speakers.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 AM

is there a fuse at the battery? i would just take the fuse out and put the fuse holder back together so that you don't have a live wire back there when you snip it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
is there a fuse at the battery? i would just take the fuse out and put the fuse holder back together so that you don't have a live wire back there when you snip it.
Yeah just to clarify I meant the fuse at the battery.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 AM

Cool cool, yeah just make sure you remove the fuse so you don't damage that nice amp! I wouldn't install your amp in your new ride either unless you upgrade the speakers. Stock speakers have goofy impedance's sometimes and if it's a 270 watt system that is likely peak power and your amp would over power the speakers.
Alright nice thanks. Does the fuse come out pretty easily? Guessing it's screwed in somewhere? Sorry for being so clueless lol.

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
Put it back together? This is sounding kinda complicated.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 AM

Alright nice thanks. Does the fuse come out pretty easily? Guessing it's screwed in somewhere? Sorry for being so clueless lol.

Put it back together? This is sounding kinda complicated.
Not complicated at all. By the batt there should be an in-line fuse, unscrew the fuse holder and remove the fuse then screw it back together. Should look like this http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...use_holder.jpg
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM

definitely disconnect the power before you do anything. Remove the cable from the negative terminal first and put it somewhere where it wont accidently spring back into touching the negative terminal.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM

Not complicated at all. By the batt there should be an in-line fuse, unscrew the fuse holder and remove the fuse then screw it back together. Should look like this http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...use_holder.jpg
Awesome thanks

Originally Posted by ampire
definitely disconnect the power before you do anything. Remove the cable from the negative terminal first and put it somewhere where it wont accidently spring back into touching the negative terminal.
From what the battery?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 AM

Awesome thanks

From what the battery?
Whenever you mess with any electrical component you should disconnect the negative at the battery.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM

So I took out the amp. I was kinda out of it and thought I disconnected the battery but it was still touching apparently so the power cable sparked a bit when I sliced it. Then I just took out the fuse and got the amp out easily. You guys all gave easy instructions but I still messed it up haha. Think I messed up the amp?? Is there any way to test it to make sure it still works? Not sure how I messed that up but like I said I was out of it and had to get it out quickly.

If it's still good i'll prob order some new speakers from don when christmas comes around. Not sure what kind to get. How's the new rainbow line?

Last edited by '96 B-rad; 08-30-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM

Yah test out the amp grab two wires. One ground (-) and one for power (+). You also need a wire for remote ( thinner wire usually used for this when installed ), plug this wire directly to (+) power as well. So just use your car battery, hold your ground and power see if the amp still powers up. Check fuses first before trying out. Most amps have a built in fuses to prevent mistakes from damaging amp or the amp consuming more power than its rated.