Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

1993 Aftermarket HU - by-pass bose

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1993 Aftermarket HU - by-pass bose

Hi guys,
I've just joined up to hopefully get some help with the old girl.

I'm trying to install an aftermarket head unit on a 1993 maxima with bose.
From what I've read so far there are some pretty decent harnesses which will help, but it sounds messy and I really want to keep it simple.

Basically I'm just trying to splice the new head unit directly into the;
- power
- ignition
- antenna control
- ground

of the nissan and run four new speakers direct from the new unit, thus avoiding all the amp & bose issues.

Could someone please give me the colour codes, pic or a diagram of the above wires and anything else I may need to connect?

Basically I'm just trying to get power to the new head unit correctly before wiring up new speakers.

I think I was trying (red/black = battery) (blue= ignition) (yellow/brown= antenna contr). Advice on the best place to ground would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I've connected the new head unit directly to the battery to test it works. It powers up so that's all good.

I've figured out that the red/black wire is the constant power using a multimeter.
The only thing I can't confirm is the correct ignition power (accessory) wire.

From what I've read this wire is blue. I've got a solid blue wire (right) and a blue with red dots (left).

Could someone please let me know which is the correct one?
I've tried connecting both and can't get power.
It could also be that I'm not getting a proper ground. At the moment I've screwed the ground wire to the existing metal bracket in the car. I think the proper ground is through the antenna? I haven't got an antenna adapter yet so I can't test this.

This is what I'm dealing with lol. Any advice on the correct ignition wire and ground would be awesome.
thanks