Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subwoofer in door panel?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:27 PM

Subwoofer in door panel?

Anyone done this? Quite keen on this.

My 2000 Ti Maxima has 4 speakers - all of them in the doors, none in the parcel tray at the back.

I cant modify the parcel tray at all for complaince reasons here in NZ.

I am keen on installing a pair of small subs in the door. Why? I hate sub boxes.

I was looking at these:

http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...rs/sws-8x.aspx

Anyone had any experience with installing subs in there?

From what I know/assume, the mounting space is 2 inches in the door cards, but the sub in question in link is 2/1/8 inch.

What sort of mods would I need to do to make it happen?

I was thinking 2 subs in the front, and 2 components in the back.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 PM

Decided to take some pics to give you some idea's.

As mentioned, my max doesn't have speakers in the back, only the 4 doors.

I plan on:

1) New Head Deck (1DIN)
2) Component speakers in the doors(4x)
3) 2x 8 or 10 inch subs in the boot underneathe the parcel tray
4) Decent Amp and wiring

I think that would be the best, and easiest option. I've read up on installing subs in the door card, it gets too difficult as you have to put sound deadening, but you still get rattles etc.

Questions:

1) What type of stereo do I have? Bare in mind im in New Zealand, and I think you guys refer to my max as a I30?
2) Could you please have a look and advise whether its easy enough installing a pair of subs in the boot under the parcel tray?

Pics I took:

Car:

Underneath Parcel Shelf(Note Red arrows indicating possible mounting for spacer mount):

Left

Right

Stock stereo

Doors

Last edited by Hybridtheory; 11-06-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Link does not work, but I looked up the model number. I've never heard these in person, but they look interesting.

Running small subs in the doors would take some heavy duty treatment. As you stated you will probably still have some buzzing and rattles from the door card itself.

I like the idea of having the subwoofer you listed on the rear shelf. I'm assuming that you will make shallow enclosures and install them under the rear shelf. Either with the sub facing down or firing up into the enclosure. I would recommend treating the area behind and around the enclosure with some sound deadening material. I have been thinking of adding small subs in the rear shelf myself to save space. My car comes equipped with two factory subs in this location so the space is ready to use.

As for components, I would take the total budget for the interior speakers, and buy a high quality set to use up front. You will gain better sound doing this than by splitting the cost for front and rear components. If you really want rear speakers, you can get a less expensive set of coaxials for the rear. Most of your sound should be faded to the front.

Last edited by 1996blackmax; 11-09-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM

It is do-able to add subs under the parcel shelf, but difficult in your car. The torsion bars that run side to side help open and close the trunk.
You could make a fiberglass box that fits inside your spare tire potentially.