Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What to look for in a Car Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

What to look for in a Car Stereo System

I want to get a nice system in my 95 maxima, but I want a double din. What are good manufacturers, what's a descent to above average wattage, what face, equalizer and speakers would u guys recommend? If you think the ones u have are nice, then tell me about them...more questions will obviously come up as questions are being answered.....thanks
Old 02-11-2002, 04:38 PM

I just bought a Kenwood DPX-4020 double-din to replace my 98 non-Bose factory double-din, Im installing it tomorrow. I was going mainly for looks and affordability. I got it for $319 on eBay, reatils for about $450-500. Check out the kenwood website. They make the best looking double-dins out of any manufacturer, I dont know about specs though.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

bose system problems

everyone and their mother has told me numerous stories about how changing system in nissan's suck cause of the way the bose system is configured. I have a GLE, can I just change the face and add a subwoofer? or do I have to take everything out and start from scratch?

right now I just want to get the face, then later on get a sub, then probably an AMp and keep my speakers...is this possible wit the bose stereo system? I know i'm asking a lot, can someone give me a site to research about how to do these things, like what I need and what I can do?
Old 02-11-2002, 06:24 PM
FJC

Re: bose system problems

Originally posted by meccanoble
everyone and their mother has told me numerous stories about how changing system in nissan's suck cause of the way the bose system is configured. I have a GLE, can I just change the face and add a subwoofer? or do I have to take everything out and start from scratch?

right now I just want to get the face, then later on get a sub, then probably an AMp and keep my speakers...is this possible wit the bose stereo system? I know i'm asking a lot, can someone give me a site to research about how to do these things, like what I need and what I can do?
Well, yes you can. First of all, Double DIN's suck. They always have. They are meant for factory replacements. Only the high end double DIN's are good. Get a reg DIN and get a Digi sig processor or equalizer, whatever.... Get them seperate.

About the speakers... You have a self amplified system by Bose which is meant to stay intact. As with all Bose equipment, it should stay Bose. However..... They do have wiring harnesses that allow you to bypass the factory amps and utilize the HU's power. they are around 40.00 or so.

Change the face, get the adapters, and get an amp.

Send me an e-mail to fjc75@mediaone.net if you run into problems...
Old 02-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

ok, you're confusing me with all these amp and harness stuff

I replaced my speakers already, now I want to buy a face (CD/equalizer together, 45 watts clarion, kenwood or pioneer), can i buy the face and hook it up wit no problems, or do I have to change EVERYThing????
Old 02-11-2002, 08:09 PM
FJC

ok, you're confusing me with all these amp and harness stuff

I replaced my speakers already, now I want to buy a face (CD/equalizer together, 45 watts clarion, kenwood or pioneer), can i buy the face and hook it up wit no problems, or do I have to change EVERYThing????
Get Alpine or Eclipse and get a SEPERATE Equalizer. Those DIN's are crap and if the EQ unit goes, your unit won't work. If you look at any car with a good system in it, it has a single DIN (3% have Double DIN's).

Anyway, it's your decision on the unit because it may suit your needs. Get what you need for a HU and you will need a wiring harness. You can keep the stock wiring with this. It adapts your stock wiring connectors (back of the stock HU) to standard speaker wires with + - polarity.

Go to Crutchfield.com. They will have exactly what you are looking for. They carry the Kenwood and Sony stuff along with the harnesses....
Old 02-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

I see where u r going...it doesn't really matter to me whether i get them seperate or together, it's just that I like the way they look together...like this panasonic on ebay...at the bottom of this post i'm making...what i'm really looking for is....

I'm looking for a Clarion, panasonic, Kenwood, or JVC 35 to 50 watt cd player 7 channel equalizer. Replacing the double din bose face on my car and want one that has a visual with a green like color like the climate control and clock color on GLE models...trying to match all the way out....if anyone has brand new sets or used ones in excellent condition, let me know...or atleast give me a reference to someone that may have 'em at good prices.

Here is one on Ebay which I am really feeling...if anyone has something similar to this type that has just about the same functions or more...let me know in here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...&item=601863259

i'll check that site out, I hope it does have what i want, but if u can find something like this panasonic, in whatever manufacturer u think is good enough, and not TOO expensive, let me know either on PM or here...thanks
Old 02-11-2002, 09:45 PM
FJC

My boy had this in his LS400..

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1330618131

That's what I was talking about. That exact unit... It was over a grand. Seriously consider this if you want a double DIN.

If not, it's your money and opinion. I think all double DIN's look cheap... Too much like a stock unit and the LCD's never look right...
Old 02-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

dam, that's hot as hell! i see all these pics, a sub and some other stuff? do they all come wit it for 500? I didn't want to spend that much, although it had the right wattage, right equalizer, and right look, but the hidden tape deck isn't necessary, the flip off thingy isn't necessary, something just like that wit the 45X4 watt no cd changer needed, and 7 channel equalizer is all i need...wit all the subtractions i made, it should come up to about 300 right? or 350 at most...hopefully?
Old 02-12-2002, 06:23 AM

Do not listen to whoever told you to buy at Crutchfield. They will charge you very close to retail price. They do have good customer service, but you can get more help in the audio and electronics forum here. I would recommend buying your equipment from either www.carmedia1.com or www.carstereoworld.com I have purchased items from both of these places, and they were very professional and helpful about everything. Their prices are also considerably less than those at Crutchfield on most of their products
Old 02-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by jay_johnson
Do not listen to whoever told you to buy at Crutchfield. They will charge you very close to retail price. They do have good customer service, but you can get more help in the audio and electronics forum here. I would recommend buying your equipment from either www.carmedia1.com or www.carstereoworld.com I have purchased items from both of these places, and they were very professional and helpful about everything. Their prices are also considerably less than those at Crutchfield on most of their products
ok, thanks...it was hard finding what i wanted at cruchfield too...a dam double din wit cd and equalizer...is that so hard?1 lol...i'll try that spot u sent me...thanks...bout to just check retail stores also...and then probably buy them straight from manufacturer...would that be cheaper?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:37 AM
FJC

Originally posted by jay_johnson
Hey Jay, go to a cliff with a goat and let him back up on ya'.

Mecca, contact me direct......
Old 02-16-2002, 02:42 AM
FJC

ok, thanks...it was hard finding what i wanted at cruchfield too...a dam double din wit cd and equalizer...is that so hard?1 lol...i'll try that spot u sent me...thanks...bout to just check retail stores also...and then probably buy them straight from manufacturer...would that be cheaper?
You can't buy direct unless you are an authorized dealer and you have to be reputable to carry good s**t. Any retail chain is only going to have Kenwood, Sony, etc.... Even Alpine, but Alpine has been taking in good revenue because of it's high rep.

Your best bet is to search around on the net. My friend bought from crutchfield because he needed install help; they hooked him up. That's why I recommended them to you. Not for prices...

I have been heavily into car audio competition for about 10 years, I know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:25 AM

South BRonx??

I thought that was Africa.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:45 AM

my suggestion is to go to a stereo forum, where theyll know alot more about stereo's...

i dont go to stereo forums and ask about maxima's, i ask them here, cuz more people know what theyre talking about...

anyway, as you can tell, im putting in a plug for a stereo forum im on all the time...Soundillusions.net. anyway, the people there can probably answer your questions a lot better than someone who spends all their time learning about car performance instead of stereo performance (no offense here guys...this doesnt cover everyone, and obviously you guys ARE THE BOMB to talk to about max's)

later,
eric
Old 02-16-2002, 05:53 AM
FJC

Originally posted by nismo240sx
my suggestion is to go to a stereo forum, where theyll know alot more about stereo's...

i dont go to stereo forums and ask about maxima's, i ask them here, cuz more people know what theyre talking about...

anyway, as you can tell, im putting in a plug for a stereo forum im on all the time...Soundillusions.net. anyway, the people there can probably answer your questions a lot better than someone who spends all their time learning about car performance instead of stereo performance (no offense here guys...this doesnt cover everyone, and obviously you guys ARE THE BOMB to talk to about max's)

later,
eric
Good point
Old 02-16-2002, 09:31 AM
FJC

Originally posted by nismo240sx

later,
eric
I just went to soundillusions.net and they have about 20 threads on reviews for the past year....