Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Keep BOSE or upgrade ??? Quick

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002 | 06:21 PM

Keep BOSE or upgrade ??? Quick

I am replacing my BOSE head unit with a Pioneer HU....I am also adding an amp and subs...I was going to replace all the speakers with Kenwoods, but the guy who is doing the install, told me to keep the BOSE speakers because they will sound good....Is this true, will everything be ok if I keep the BOSE speakers ??? Any help you guys can offer......
Old 03-02-2002 | 07:09 PM
Schmoo

Upgrade. There's nothing magic about the Bose speakers.
Old 03-02-2002 | 07:12 PM
cwinn

Re: Keep BOSE or upgrade ??? Quick

definately upgrade. If there's no highs and no lows it must be bose.
Old 03-03-2002 | 11:49 AM

OK, some of you huys need to jump off the "we hate bose" bandwagon. Yesterday we had a meet in Orlando and Yankee!!! had his system blasting and he had 2 eclpise aluminum 10" subs going along with his stock speakers I was blow away how good they sounded. At the last meet he had his MB quarts going and those were nice but i still though he had his MB's in there till he said he had his stock speakers in So word in keep the bose till they blow, then that will give you some time to make more money and get like som really nice componets.
Old 03-06-2002 | 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You're right. Too many Bose haters. They just want to DIY.

DW

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
OK, some of you huys need to jump off the "we hate bose" bandwagon. Yesterday we had a meet in Orlando and Yankee!!! had his system blasting and he had 2 eclpise aluminum 10" subs going along with his stock speakers I was blow away how good they sounded. At the last meet he had his MB quarts going and those were nice but i still though he had his MB's in there till he said he had his stock speakers in So word in keep the bose till they blow, then that will give you some time to make more money and get like som really nice componets.
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:25 PM

you like paper speakers?

Originally posted by dwapenyi
You're right. Too many Bose haters. They just want to DIY.

DW

Do you understand why bose suck?

Bose are not capable of reproducing highs or lows... or anything in the 89k range.

The reason they "sound good" is because there is less to "sound bad" You cant say the bass is muddy, because there is none.. same with the highs. But your only hearing 60% of a song.

head over to
www.audioreview.com check out why there so ****ty

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/c...61.B2b6aVPRhi9^2@.ef6824b/0
Old 03-06-2002 | 01:58 PM

Re: you like paper speakers?

Uh oh, you got me started . . . .

Interesting that you send me to links for Bose home audio. I'm not fan of Bose home audio, but I really like what they do with car audio. Why? In the home you don't have to compromise as much in terms of clean power, available space etc. Bose technologies applied at home really don't make sense to me, and they are way to pricey for what they deliver. Besides, I don't like the idea of reflecting sound all over the place, the basic theme of Bose home systems.

In the car is a completely different ballgame. The car audio environment is compromises everywhere. You have to extract all that power from a 12 volt battery, if you want deep deep bass and lots of power, goodbye trunk! When the car is rolling your audio dynamic range is very limited due to ambient noise.

So, when Bose makes a subwoofer that still leaves you with a full trunk, cool! It goes very deep, even the sub-woofer-less 4th gens go quite deep. Their ability to go loud and deep is not too good, but hey, nothing's perfect.
When Bose tunes their speakers for the acoustics for each car they go into, getting the flatest response, extra special!

Of course you can go aftermarket and make a better system. But the fact is,

1) It's going to cost considerably more than the Bose. The Bose was a $900 option in the 4th gen Maximas. What kind of aftermarket system can you put together for that much?
2) You have to tear your car apart and put it together again. The bose comes installed from the factory.
3) In these aftermarket systems, they are never tuned to your particular vehicle, unless you spends $1000s. I've listened to quite a few most sounded good, very powerful, very clean, but not flat and true to the original sound source. They had treble up the wazzooo and bass to make the earth quake. But for sound quality, alot of them left me kinda wanting more.

Admittedly, with this age of DSP EQ capability, tuning your car is much easier, but still money.

For $800, what kind of aftermarket system can you put in my car??

Lastly, "that no highs no lows must be bose" line, I don't really get. I hear plenty of highs, and lows down to 35Hz. If I have treble happy music, I hear it. I think it may be that when people put in their own aftermarket setup, they face the tweeters directly at their ears, to get the most punch out of their highs. The bose system purposely directs the highs to the center of the car, so that you can get the right balance of high frequency energy from both the left and right tweeters, not just be blwon away by the tweeter next to you. It helps imaging as well doing that way.

If I had to replace the Bose in my car with aftermarket, I'd probably have to spend $3000 or so to have everything the bose gave me, plus the greater power and range.

I could go one, but I'm stopping for now.

DW

Originally posted by grunge

Bose are not capable of reproducing highs or lows... or anything in the 89k range.

The reason they "sound good" is because there is less to "sound bad" You cant say the bass is muddy, because there is none.. same with the highs. But your only hearing 60% of a song.

head over to

Old 03-06-2002 | 02:19 PM
Schmoo

Okay, I'm not exactly a confirmed Bose hater, but I definitely feel that the factory Bose system is lacking in high-end crispness. Sure, you can tell that the highs are there, but they definitely have a dulled sound to them compared to audio systems that have actual tweeters. (Okay, so technically speaking, this means that the real highs are not there, given that "dulled" means "filtered of highs".)

My judgement is still out on the lows. It seems kind of boomy.

I've only got my Maxima recently, and only more recently did I get the stereo working (these Bose units seem to suffer a lot from poor soldering/cold solder joints going bad in time).
Old 03-06-2002 | 02:43 PM

Re: Re: you like paper speakers?

You say you can hear hi's?? you must have a golden ear then. Or else you should come over and we can listen to a cd thru my Martin Logan desents... then you can go back into your car and tell me it sounds good.

If it sounds good then its just because you havent listened to a GOOD system. Thats part of the reason i put a post in for HOME speakers. Home speakers sound the best. The goal should be to make your car sound comprable to that.

Granted paying $800 for a bose system add is pretty cheap compared to the alternitive.. The bose is leaps and bounds over most other factory equip, but by no means should it be regarded as "good" especially in an audio forum. To me the 800$ addition is really just paying 800$ to force me to upgrade all components at once. If you had stuck to factory you could upgrade speakers one pair at a time, or the head unit 1st and work your way up.

And dont forget the complete lack of features. The bose had litterally NO features that a cdplayer from the early 90s couldnt do.

If you didnt car about how it sounded than stick with the bose, If you did truly car about the sound then price would not be a factor.

Uh oh, you got me started . . . .

Interesting that you send me to links for Bose home audio. I'm not fan of Bose home audio, but I really like what they do with car audio. Why? In the home you don't have to compromise as much in terms of clean power, available space etc. Bose technologies applied at home really don't make sense to me, and they are way to pricey for what they deliver. Besides, I don't like the idea of reflecting sound all over the place, the basic theme of Bose home systems.

In the car is a completely different ballgame. The car audio environment is compromises everywhere. You have to extract all that power from a 12 volt battery, if you want deep deep bass and lots of power, goodbye trunk! When the car is rolling your audio dynamic range is very limited due to ambient noise.

So, when Bose makes a subwoofer that still leaves you with a full trunk, cool! It goes very deep, even the sub-woofer-less 4th gens go quite deep. Their ability to go loud and deep is not too good, but hey, nothing's perfect.
When Bose tunes their speakers for the acoustics for each car they go into, getting the flatest response, extra special!

Of course you can go aftermarket and make a better system. But the fact is,

1) It's going to cost considerably more than the Bose. The Bose was a $900 option in the 4th gen Maximas. What kind of aftermarket system can you put together for that much?
2) You have to tear your car apart and put it together again. The bose comes installed from the factory.
3) In these aftermarket systems, they are never tuned to your particular vehicle, unless you spends $1000s. I've listened to quite a few most sounded good, very powerful, very clean, but not flat and true to the original sound source. They had treble up the wazzooo and bass to make the earth quake. But for sound quality, alot of them left me kinda wanting more.

Admittedly, with this age of DSP EQ capability, tuning your car is much easier, but still money.

For $800, what kind of aftermarket system can you put in my car??

Lastly, "that no highs no lows must be bose" line, I don't really get. I hear plenty of highs, and lows down to 35Hz. If I have treble happy music, I hear it. I think it may be that when people put in their own aftermarket setup, they face the tweeters directly at their ears, to get the most punch out of their highs. The bose system purposely directs the highs to the center of the car, so that you can get the right balance of high frequency energy from both the left and right tweeters, not just be blwon away by the tweeter next to you. It helps imaging as well doing that way.

If I had to replace the Bose in my car with aftermarket, I'd probably have to spend $3000 or so to have everything the bose gave me, plus the greater power and range.

I could go one, but I'm stopping for now.

DW

Old 03-06-2002 | 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: you like paper speakers?

I don't know about golden ear, but I can hear speakers out of phase better than most people As for the expensive home stereo, I agree, I do compare home systems sounds to the bose. It's not that bad.
As for caring about sound, should everyone be buyng speakers for $40K, tube amps, and speaker wire that costs $40/foot?? Sheesh. My name ain't Michael Jordan. I love that stuff, but hey, my wallet's not bottomless.

In fact, you and I agree on most things about Bose Car audio. The bose is better than most factory systems. That's all I'm saying. The Bose cd players features are minimal. But if you care about sound, features shouldn't be an issue. Right back at you, pal My friend had a Linn Sondek turntable that was the best sounding record player I had ever heard, but it was a basic basic turntable. You had to lift the tonearm and ut it on the vinyl, no quartz lock drive etc.

DW

You say you can hear hi's?? you must have a golden ear then. Or else you should come over and we can listen to a cd thru my Martin Logan desents... then you can go back into your car and tell me it sounds good.

If it sounds good then its just because you havent listened to a GOOD system. Thats part of the reason i put a post in for HOME speakers. Home speakers sound the best. The goal should be to make your car sound comprable to that.

Granted paying $800 for a bose system add is pretty cheap compared to the alternitive.. The bose is leaps and bounds over most other factory equip, but by no means should it be regarded as "good" especially in an audio forum. To me the 800$ addition is really just paying 800$ to force me to upgrade all components at once. If you had stuck to factory you could upgrade speakers one pair at a time, or the head unit 1st and work your way up.

And dont forget the complete lack of features. The bose had litterally NO features that a cdplayer from the early 90s couldnt do.

If you didnt car about how it sounded than stick with the bose, If you did truly car about the sound then price would not be a factor.

Old 03-06-2002 | 04:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: you like paper speakers?

MP3s should be a standard....that feature is a must....I would take an aiwa cd player over the worlds greatest tapedeck
Old 03-08-2002 | 03:41 PM

Re: you like paper speakers?

Bose sucks for home theater. There car audio is far far better.

GC

head over to

Old 03-08-2002 | 04:46 PM

UPGRADE ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 03-08-2002 | 04:55 PM

Re: Re: you like paper speakers?

dont forget the tweeter is made by clarion... I think its funny that bose has to rely on clarion (****ty) for there speakers to sound half way decent
Old 03-08-2002 | 06:44 PM

No serious you guys crack me up, My friend has a Kick *** system (Yankee!!!) on the org. He had his MB's last meet, but the meet that happened 2 weeks ago, I figured he still had his MB's in there cause I could hear it, and is was crisp about 50 feet away. Whne I asked him which model MB's he has in there he said stock bose, so its no so much the speakers that are bad, but more so the Head Unit, even thouhg that isnt even that bad, cause I can still rattle me mirrors, half way up. Oh well Once a bose hater, always a bose hater...
Old 03-09-2002 | 12:42 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Ok I'll make it short and sweet.....For a simple system the BOSE sounds decent! If you want good,clean sound UpGrade! The possibles are endless,and I agree can be very pricey. Don't get me wrong though I don't hate the Bose, but it's just not for me. It just doesn't feel like it gives me enough.

Like it was said previously, you can do it a piece at a time. Headunit,front stage,rear fill,etc....After time and probably a decent amount of money you should be happy. I must warn anyone and everyone though system are like Pringles ...once you start you can't stop !!(yes I know its ("once you pop")hehe.Ive been doing car audio/security/video/etc for about 14 years now and I don't know anyone in the buisiness that will forever be happy with they,re stereo.Of course including myself.

In conclusion I have Diamond Audio Hex Components for my front stage and Diamond Audio Coax for my rear fill (-5db) with a Soundstream Reference amp on for now. I love how it sounds, but i just got the car last week and didnt take time to build yet.It WILL be upgraded substantially soon. Some people may say that may car sounds like crap,others may praise it....Point being Don't do what people SAY sounds good, do what you like !!!
Old 03-09-2002 | 06:40 PM

KEEP THE BOSE !!

Okay here is my case, as some of you may have read and responded in my post. I just replaced the Bose 6x9's in the rear with Sony 6x9's ($140.00). There is no amp going to it, so it sounds like ish. Okay so in my last post, someone said get a 4 channel amp run it to the 6x9's and when I get the 5 1/4 in the door run it there alos. Okay, not only do I now need to buy the 5 1/4 for the door (another $100.00 Sony's) but now I have to buy an amp, about $100.00 - $150.00. Then I have to either pay someone to wire it or suck it up and do it myself. If I pay someone, we are talking about $100.00 for the amp and the door speakers. We are talking about close to or more than $500.00 to replace what is JUST FINE and SOUNDS GOOD !!! Like someone mentioned before, my Bose 6x9's sounded like subs. Not only was I fooled but others were too.

So in conclusion, I say KEEP THE BOSE !! Why do so many people here and at the car stereo places hate Bose so much? I think this is why I have been in such a bad @$$ mood today and yesterday. I was dupped into getting rid of the BOSE !! AND I REGRET IT !!!!!!! If I had more time on my hands, I would put the Bose system back in, but I work waaaayyyy too much (72 hrs a week).

KEEP THE BOSE, KEEP THE BOSE !!
Old 03-09-2002 | 07:08 PM

Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

bose are ONLY MIDRANGE

thats why they sound good. Its psychological. if there are no highs or lows then there a smaller margin of error and the human ear doesnt pick up on it. Thats why your new speakers sound ish because they are a full range speaker. Your ears are picking out imperfections you now have a full range of frequencies that can sound ****ty.

is the sony and upgrade from bose. definetly.
does it sound better. probably not
do they have potential to sound better. yes but its gonna cost you.

Did you replace the head unit in your car or are you running the bose head and amps? if your running hte bose amps then thats a huge problem because they have a x-over built in thats locked on midrange.
Old 03-11-2002 | 05:47 AM

Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

Exactly. The bose is an $800 dollar system, to replace ith with something better, you have to spend way more $$, and time. I'd like to see someone put in a system that sounds better than the bose for $800, and gives you all that the bose does.

DW

Originally posted by sxwk12
Okay here is my case, as some of you may have read and responded in my post. I just replaced the Bose 6x9's in the rear with Sony 6x9's ($140.00). There is no amp going to it, so it sounds like ish. Okay so in my last post, someone said get a 4 channel amp run it to the 6x9's and when I get the 5 1/4 in the door run it there alos. Okay, not only do I now need to buy the 5 1/4 for the door (another $100.00 Sony's) but now I have to buy an amp, about $100.00 - $150.00. Then I have to either pay someone to wire it or suck it up and do it myself. If I pay someone, we are talking about $100.00 for the amp and the door speakers. We are talking about close to or more than $500.00 to replace what is JUST FINE and SOUNDS GOOD !!! Like someone mentioned before, my Bose 6x9's sounded like subs. Not only was I fooled but others were too.

So in conclusion, I say KEEP THE BOSE !! Why do so many people here and at the car stereo places hate Bose so much? I think this is why I have been in such a bad @$$ mood today and yesterday. I was dupped into getting rid of the BOSE !! AND I REGRET IT !!!!!!! If I had more time on my hands, I would put the Bose system back in, but I work waaaayyyy too much (72 hrs a week).

KEEP THE BOSE, KEEP THE BOSE !!
Old 03-11-2002 | 05:52 AM

Re: Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

No, Bose is not only mid-range at all, completely full range, from 35Hz to 20Khz. I played a Chesky test CD in my car once to see how low it went. It went all the way down at a decent level to 35Hz, then fell off. It still produced 20Hz but the signal was too low to be muscially usable. But it the bass stayed quite strong down to 35Hz.

The drawback to the Bose is simply that the 6.5" speakers in the rear trying to produce deep bass work way too hard.

bose are ONLY MIDRANGE

thats why they sound good. Its psychological. if there are no highs or lows then there a smaller margin of error and the human ear doesnt pick up on it. Thats why your new speakers sound ish because they are a full range speaker. Your ears are picking out imperfections you now have a full range of frequencies that can sound ****ty.

is the sony and upgrade from bose. definetly.
does it sound better. probably not
do they have potential to sound better. yes but its gonna cost you.

Did you replace the head unit in your car or are you running the bose head and amps? if your running hte bose amps then thats a huge problem because they have a x-over built in thats locked on midrange.
Old 03-11-2002 | 06:55 AM

ok, my car did not come with the bose up front, but they were in the back, and if u happened to sit in the back seat then to bad, u get no highs b/c the bose had no tweeters...so i replaced them fairly quikly, yes the bass response wasnt as good, but these were memphis 6x9s w/o an amp, so of course its not as good. now i have an amp, and they hit so much harder than the bose ever did...all u have to do is think and do it yourself b/c 1. its easy and 2. itll save u big $...as 4 all of u who think $800 for bose is a good deal, i paid $950 for my whole system (memphis front (100) and back (120)speakers, memphis amp (315), sony minidisk head unit (330), and wiring (too much ) and im sure its possible to do it 4 cheaper if u look around and keep options open (not 2 mention not buying the most expensive wiring that prolly dont make a difference)...either way my car hurts, and i dont think the bose ever did...i can turn up the music as loud as i want and it never distorts, im gonna go deaf or blow my speakers 1st...in the end i would go w/ what some1 recommended earlier and just keep it till it blows, thats seems to b the easiest way, at least then u can justify blowin the $ cause your system doesnt work...
Old 03-11-2002 | 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

No, Bose is not only mid-range at all, completely full range, from 35Hz to 20Khz. I played a Chesky test CD in my car once to see how low it went. It went all the way down at a decent level to 35Hz, then fell off. It still produced 20Hz but the signal was too low to be muscially usable. But it the bass stayed quite strong down to 35Hz.

The drawback to the Bose is simply that the 6.5" speakers in the rear trying to produce deep bass work way too hard.

The chesky test cd gaps... It doesnt play every frequency. bose do not play 20khz.. the CLARION tweeter may. but the bose do not. they have built in xovers to alter the signal
Old 03-11-2002 | 10:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

The CD I have plays the full range continuosly, sloping down the frequency scale as it plays. OK, I can't verify the 20Khz working on the tweeter, I can only hear well up to 13khz or so

The chesky test cd gaps... It doesnt play every frequency. bose do not play 20khz.. the CLARION tweeter may. but the bose do not. they have built in xovers to alter the signal
Old 03-11-2002 | 03:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

The CD I have plays the full range continuosly, sloping down the frequency scale as it plays. OK, I can't verify the 20Khz working on the tweeter, I can only hear well up to 13khz or so

If anyone has a meter it would be interesting to plot the responses. I would but all i have is a decible meter for white noise.
Old 03-11-2002 | 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KEEP THE BOSE !!

Yes, I'd like to to use a decibel meter to, so I know exactly what my frequency response looks like. Just sitting and listening to the CD, though, I was quite impressed, the Bose kept steady and usable volume all the way down the frequency range, as I suspected. I knew it went below 40Hz because my home system only goes down that far.

DW

If anyone has a meter it would be interesting to plot the responses. I would but all i have is a decible meter for white noise.
Old 03-11-2002 | 03:38 PM

Hey ! I have a meter and an SPL meter !!
Old 03-11-2002 | 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Hey ! I have a meter and an SPL meter !!
but i bet you dont have factory bose....
Old 03-11-2002 | 03:47 PM

but i bet you dont have factory bose....
No way man !!