Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Amp rack is almost complete...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 10:10 AM
STFU n00b!

Amp rack is almost complete...

these are about 140k each, so I'm just going to link them..

it's all together, but the aluminum is nasty looking. next weekend I'm going to take it all apart and clean and re-brush all the aluminum so it will look nice and purdy.
Also still have to add the 2F cap and power distribution components.. they're going to go in the large space between the two small amps.

I'm also going to have to figure out where to mount a crossover back there someday.

Hopefully I'll the rack finished and installed this weekend... BUT my other engine project is just about done at the shop too, so I may be installing boost this weekend.. not sure which to do yet.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00024.JPG -amprack in the garage

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00025.JPG -amprack in the trunk #1

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00026.JPG -amprack in the trunk #2
Old 03-12-2002, 10:19 AM

PPPPSSSsssssstttttt-put the boost in, stereo can wait for the next weekend.

I am getting new stuff too, but I have to still wait on the speakers and amp
2 DD 2012-4
Lanzar Opti100.1d

the boxes are ready and waiting, it will be set up similar to sweetsounds, but mine has 12's and ports going up through where the back speakers were. Can't wait, now I just a 2-3 business week lead in time till the speakers will be here, I guess that is what you have to cope with for handmade stuff. DD home is right down close to you too Matt, right in OK City.

Can't wait to see your setup when you get it all in and are able to take the trip up here for summer meets.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:27 AM
STFU n00b!

DD is in OK city? kickass! I may have a close job yet when I get my EE degree! wonder if they need design engineers.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Forgive the stupid question but you have so many amps because....?

You run each speaker on its own amp? Must be a really powerfull system
Old 03-12-2002, 10:52 AM
STFU n00b!

about 2300W RMS.

subs, midbass, mids, tweeters. each range gets it's own amp.
subs will get 600w/ channel
midbass gets 200/ channel
mids get 150/channel
tweeters get 50/channel.

the other 50x2 amp is a "spare". mostly there for looks, but I'll call it a backup amp.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
DD is in OK city? kickass! I may have a close job yet when I get my EE degree! wonder if they need design engineers.
doesn't hurt to ask , besides employee discounts from them would be a great thing to get.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:21 PM

im curious how your gonna run wires up to each amp and keep it so clean looking?

Ant
Old 03-12-2002, 09:53 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm going to attach them to the metal rails underneath the amps, then run them to the sides and down the back. the speaker wiring will all go to one large quick-disconnect connector, the RCA cables another, and the power another.. that way it's 3 connections and a few bolts and the whole thing comes out.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:03 AM

just a thought...

I'm going to attach them to the metal rails underneath the amps, then run them to the sides and down the back. the speaker wiring will all go to one large quick-disconnect connector, the RCA cables another, and the power another.. that way it's 3 connections and a few bolts and the whole thing comes out.
Hey Matt,
Old 03-13-2002, 12:06 AM

just a thought...

Hey Matt,

What if you ran the wiring THROUGH the tubing, and drilled holes out in the backs of each amp for the plugs to go to the amps?? Run the other end down to the bottom of the tubing where the quick connects would be. That way, unplug, take out, and no mess. Not sure how much room you have in the tubes, but it was just an idea.

DMAN
Old 03-13-2002, 09:45 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: just a thought...

I thought of that, but the tubing isn't large enough. that's 3/4" tubing with 1/8" wall, so there's only 1/2" inside it.. that's not even large enough for the power cable to get through, let alone signal and speaker cables too.

Originally posted by DMAN11

Hey Matt,

What if you ran the wiring THROUGH the tubing, and drilled holes out in the backs of each amp for the plugs to go to the amps?? Run the other end down to the bottom of the tubing where the quick connects would be. That way, unplug, take out, and no mess. Not sure how much room you have in the tubes, but it was just an idea.

DMAN
Old 03-13-2002, 09:12 PM

Re: Re: just a thought...

I thought of that, but the tubing isn't large enough. that's 3/4" tubing with 1/8" wall, so there's only 1/2" inside it.. that's not even large enough for the power cable to get through, let alone signal and speaker cables too.

Hmmm, bummer.... Sorry dude, just a thought. The rack looks pretty sweet, and even with the wires on the outside,,, it should be cool if you tie them up all even. Good luck with the rest of the setup....DMAN
Old 03-14-2002, 09:08 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Re: just a thought...

Originally posted by DMAN11

Hmmm, bummer.... Sorry dude, just a thought. The rack looks pretty sweet, and even with the wires on the outside,,, it should be cool if you tie them up all even. Good luck with the rest of the setup....DMAN
thanks for the advice anyway.. it'll definitely look good when I'm done with the wiring. just a matter of paying attention to detail and having it all planned out before I start. (and the patience to tie down 100 wires every few inches and drill/tap countless holes for strapping!)
Old 03-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Amp rack is almost complete...

Hopefully I'll the rack finished and installed this weekend... BUT my other engine project is just about done at the shop too, so I may be installing boost this weekend.. not sure which to do yet.

Do Boost first! , Then do Rack, then do rear window tint....
Old 03-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Sin

Re: Amp rack is almost complete...

these are about 140k each, so I'm just going to link them..

it's all together, but the aluminum is nasty looking. next weekend I'm going to take it all apart and clean and re-brush all the aluminum so it will look nice and purdy.
Also still have to add the 2F cap and power distribution components.. they're going to go in the large space between the two small amps.

I'm also going to have to figure out where to mount a crossover back there someday.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00024.JPG -amprack in the garage

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00025.JPG -amprack in the trunk #1

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00026.JPG -amprack in the trunk #2
How do you like those amps? I have a buddy running the amp you have on the bottom, pushing two 15" . . . well . . . actually, I should say, had. He kept blowing those PPI's out. Seriously! No matter what he did, his PPI amps would not hold up in his system. He's now running these Kickers that are like 1000W, and just killer.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:00 AM
jmax

Dang, it does look huge. But it's hard to tell with no perspective. How far is it from the base to the top of one of the amps on the top rack?

Old 03-18-2002, 11:22 PM
STFU n00b!

I have NEVER had a problem with these amps.. Sin,
that's why I'm buying all of them I can afford to buy!

the problem is clipping and signals.. these amps aren't designed for the 4v drive voltages many new head units put out. they were built back in the day where a 2v output was absolute max. with the gain turned all the way down on these, you'll get peak output with 2.5V input I think.

but the only thing that's physically gone wrong with these is I've toasted a couple resistors on the input stage (most likely because of the 4V pre-outs on my head unit).. amp still worked just fine, but the resistors have turned a dirt-brown color.. Whie I could still read the colors on them, I bought some more of the same value to replace them if/when they go.

jmax, the entire amp rack is 35" wide and 16" tall or so. the large amp on the bottom is 29" long. the small ones on the top are 9" long.

there's more pics up now... the list starts at about 24 and goes to 54.
look at:

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00035.JPG

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00036.JPG

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...k/DSC00038.JPG
Old 03-19-2002, 12:47 AM
jmax

Dang, that's a pretty tight squeeze.

Old 03-19-2002, 08:20 AM

looks good. what company amps are they, and why dont you make a spectical out of the wiring job, in my old 91 max i had all of the power/speaker/signal cables in the trunk exposed and made a really interesting display out of them. i also was running a aluminum amp rack for that system. (in later years i changed the whole thing to a totally differnt set up about 3 times so the exposed wiring kinda never made it back into the picture, but in my 2k2 i will definatly have some cool exposed stuff going on.)

Sunny
Old 03-19-2002, 09:39 PM
STFU n00b!

those are the classic PPI Art Series amps.. still setting the standard for car audio...

I'm hiding the wiring because this system is going to be quickly removable for track days... exposed wiring just leads to problems with snagging, smashing, abrasion, etc. plus there's not exactly much room to make them visible either.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:14 AM

I have seen an amp rack similar to yours and the wires ran through chrome tubes from Lowes. That setup was amazing loking. Your setup looks pretty good anyway though. Good job!
Old 03-20-2002, 06:18 AM
I need a truck

yeah ... def. lookin good matt
Old 03-20-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Conrad283
yeah ... def. lookin good matt

that's what I call a distribution block brother

Old 03-20-2002, 11:09 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by time2reup

that's what I call a distribution block brother

Anything with the name "Hooker" on it wins in my book! (the power distribution and fuse blocks are all Hooker Audio..) And even in Platinum too.

mmmmm purdy.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Schmoo

So I took a look at some of the other pictures (typing in the numbers). What kind of wire is that which you're using for the input signals? Why did you choose this kind?

Old 03-21-2002, 12:11 AM
STFU n00b!

it's basically microphone cable. (you'll see is sold in stores as "twisted-pair" audio cable) for anywhere from $0.50/ft to $5/ft..

it's got two insulated conductors twisted around each other, then another bare wire twisted in with it.. then all that's wrapped with a foil shield (that's the blue/red/green you see on them)...
that is the shield to prevent noise from getting into the system.

on a balanced-line microphone cable, the bare conductor is the signal ground, then the two insulated wires carry the signal, with one 180 degrees out of phase with the other.. when it gets to the other end, one waveform is flipped back over and added to the other one.. this way any noise that is picked up along the way SHOULD be completely cancelled out. (do an internet search on "balanced line signal" for more information).

But the main reason I used this stuff is that it's MUCH smaller than the regular RCA cables. the cable I bought has 10 pairs of wires inside it (for up to 10 line level signals- I'm using 6 of them.)..
it's about 5/8" diameter and means only one wire to run from front to back.

Had I used "regular" RCA cables (which I already had, but didn't want to use), the bundle of 6 RCA cables was about 1.5" diameter, and was a jungle to sort through and try to keep from tangling.. not to mention hiding it under the carpet.

soooo, now I have everything in one cable..
plus it was cheap. I think I paid $0.28/ft for it.
the old RCA cables I made cost me $1/ft just for the cable, then I had to pay $3 each for the RCA connectors.
keep in mind, each cable run was about 12 ft long and I had to run 6 of them. that's $72 in RCA cable alone, plus connectors.
This time around, I bought some different connectors (same price, different appearance), and spend a total of $5 on cable.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:10 AM

Double take!!!

Nice Setup bro! You may want to hookup the amps to that they don't come in contact with the metal shelves. 2500 watts RMS WOW! I like.. How much did this layout cost you? NICE RIDE!!! Good luck bro... Keep keeping us posted...
Old 03-26-2002, 10:25 AM

hey Matt,are those focals going to firing freeair, or is the whole trunk going to be used as the box. I don't know much about focals and how they operate in large volumes, but the 35 series DD works great in large volumes from what I have read.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:45 AM

I also was wondering about the subs. Are you doing them free air? The setup looks sweet! I love the pics. Great job! Can't wait to see the full install.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:52 PM
STFU n00b!

Yes, they're free-air subs. I've heard good reviews about them, but haven't even listened to them myself yet.. still don't have the amp rack done. maybe in the new few weeks I'll finish it..

Amps are bolted straight to the metal rack for more grounding.. isolating them from ground can sometimes cause more noise problems. if you lok on the circuit boards, the screws that hold the boards into the metal case have traces connecting to the ground plane.. so the frame is internally connected to the system ground anyway.. one more way to prevent noise. PPI did their homework on these amps.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:25 PM

looks nice... i got a newbie question though, arent the amps/rack bound to rattle (seeing how they are sorta free-floating) with enough bass?

sorry, just a dumb question im sure you already thought about that ahead
Old 03-27-2002, 12:25 AM
STFU n00b!

They would have to be close to something that vibrated in order to rattle.
i.e. bumping up against a piece of sheet metal.

the frame of the amp rack itself is extremely strong. I could stand on it and it wouldn't bend or break. the vibrations from the car driving down the road will be more severe than what the system could produce, so I'm not worried about vibrations in the least. If there were a CD changer bolted to the same frame, I might be a little concerned, but I'm still confident I wouldn't have any problems even with that.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:27 AM

Hey Matt, everytime i click on your homepage if comes up forbidden....is it the right website, or is it just my comp.??
Old 03-27-2002, 07:32 AM

As I said before...looking sweet Matt! Anymore news on the little "project" you were working on? I mean the thing with the temp sensors and all that jazz. I would definitely like to hear stuff on that once you are done. Maybe some schematics!!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:11 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by Dustyroads
As I said before...looking sweet Matt! Anymore news on the little "project" you were working on? I mean the thing with the temp sensors and all that jazz. I would definitely like to hear stuff on that once you are done. Maybe some schematics!!
schematics won't be available... I'm not going to put hours of blood and sweat into something like this, only to hand out the schematics.. it would be like Microshaft giving you a seconds CD with their source code on it. nuh uh, no way.

As far as where I'm at? I haven't thought any more about it. I've left room in the wiring scheme for the stuff I'd need, but other than that I haven't had time to mess with it- and won't until late this summer the way things are looking. probably do it for a senior design project next year or something.

pearl93max, my webpage is stupid... the webmaster keeps changing rights around so that you can and can't see the directory listings (based on the day and his mood). my webpage sucks anyway.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:59 PM

ok..kewl. I just wanted to see it...i like looking at other 3rd gens and getting ideas and stuff from other people.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:28 AM

schematics won't be available... I'm not going to put hours of blood and sweat into something like this, only to hand out the schematics.. it would be like Microshaft giving you a seconds CD with their source code on it. nuh uh, no way.
So from one car audio nut to another, you won't share info?? J/K!! I understand what you're saying though. Well, I would definitely like to know the status when you get there. I have looked into doing some things with temp sensors and a small LED display to show the temps of each sensor and do some automatic fan turn-on, turn-off. Hmm....maybe I'll just work on somethings myself. Perhaps at some point we can compare notes.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Mauja He Mauja

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt93SE
[B]They would have to be close to something that vibrated in order to

what if i make a rack with wood? cedar etc?
Old 03-28-2002, 10:54 PM
STFU n00b!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dba1999us
[B]
They would have to be close to something that vibrated in order to

what if i make a rack with wood? cedar etc?
it all depends on what you wanna do and how you do it.
anything will be strong enough given the correct design and size/thickness of materials.