Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Clarion HU + 400.4 amp (doh!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:45 AM

Clarion HU + 400.4 amp (doh!)

mmm.. Best Buy and Clarion woes, a lengthy story:

a friend of mine works at best buy. i decided i needed more bass and a new HU, so i called him up and with his more than 50% employee discount ordered:

$100 Clarion 635dx*** HU
$83 Jensen 500 Watt Amp
$140 Clarion 400.4 4ch
$89 Cerwin Vega 3-way 6x9s
$20 Cables, connectors, distribution blocks
$50 2 Jensen 12" subs
$40 Dual 12" sealed box

the next day, i picked up my stuff in the car audio install bay. i had already been warned off about the guys there doing hack jobs on people's cars, so i declined their overpriced installation of the speakers, wiring, subs and amps. But i figured, a HU install is pretty straight foreward... just plug it in and screw it down. But nnnoooooo... they fscked it up. I didn't notice until a few days later when the HU stopped loading CDs. For a while, i had needle nose pliers in my console so i could extract a CD whenever i wanted a new one. That really sucked. I took it back and demanded an explination. they removed it and sent it to clarion, where it was pronounced to be in 100% working condition. they put it back in, and of course, the same problem happens. So i say screw best buy, i can fix this myself. after a day of having the HU and pocket assembly out, i decided i'd go back to my 6 yr old pioneer tape deck. i took the mounting bracket off, and gave it a last ditch effort. it worked.
In all their stupidity at Best Buy, they had dropped my OEM screws off the old pioneer deck somewhere under the mess of wires in the dash, and put POINTED SCREWS into my BRAND NEW headunit! this had prevented the cd loading mechanism from coming up far enough to eject a CD. needless to say, i was pretty ****ed. after this, i finished my system install, blew my jensen subs when i wanted too much bass, put in a new pioneer premier HU with FLAT screws, and undid all the horiffic things they did to my factory wiring harness. Lesson of the day, kiddies: a blue polo shirt does NOT indicate an inkling of respect for your new car.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Clarion HU + 400.4 amp (doh!)

Originally posted by The Sleeper

a friend of mine works at best buy. i decided i needed more bass and a new HU, so i called him up and with his more than 50% employee discount ordered:

$100 Clarion 635dx*** HU
$83 Jensen 500 Watt Amp
$140 Clarion 400.4 4ch
$50 2 Jensen 12" subs
$40 Dual 12" sealed box

the next day, i picked up my stuff in the car audio install bay. i had already been warned off about the guys there doing hack jobs on people's cars, so i declined their overpriced installation of the speakers, wiring, subs and amps. But i figured, a HU install is pretty straight foreward... just plug it in and screw it down. But nnnoooooo... they fscked it up. I didn't notice until a few days later when the HU stopped loading CDs. For a while, i had needle nose pliers in my console so i could extract a CD whenever i wanted a new one. That really sucked. I took it back and demanded an explination. they removed it and sent it to clarion, where it was pronounced to be in 100% working condition. they put it back in, and of course, the same problem happens. So i say screw best buy, i can fix this myself. after a day of having the HU and pocket assembly out, i decided i'd go back to my 6 yr old pioneer tape deck. i took the mounting bracket off, and gave it a last ditch effort. it worked.
In all their stupidity at Best Buy, they had dropped my OEM screws off the old pioneer deck somewhere under the mess of wires in the dash, and put POINTED SCREWS into my BRAND NEW headunit! this had prevented the cd loading mechanism from coming up far enough to eject a CD. needless to say, i was pretty ****ed. after this, i finished my system install, blew my jensen subs when i wanted too much bass, put in a new pioneer premier HU with FLAT screws, and undid all the horiffic things they did to my factory wiring harness. Lesson of the day, kiddies: a blue polo shirt does NOT indicate an inkling of respect for your new car.

2 lessons....Best Buy installation sucks.....Jensen sucks...if you still have that Jensen amp sell it and get something different...
Old 03-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey...i work at best buy..as a installer..and im damn proud of it...i dont know which best buy you got your stuff installed at...and i cant speak for them...but our team...does more than what best buy requires in an installation...i personally do treat a customers car like it is my own, and yes our team does know that putting in thoes black pointed screwes that are just a little bit over 8mm will inhibit the stereo from functioning properly. Sorry to hear that you had an incompetent installer. Like i said..i cant speak for all the install bay's..but us at store 134 in Dublin California does top-notch sh*t!
Old 03-24-2002, 07:04 AM

California? hmm.. i think people out there care more for their cars, or the amount of people with electronic skills and experience is 10x what it is here. not saying that every person in best buy is incapable, just that you should check them out before you trust them with your car.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:51 AM
I need a truck

Re: Clarion HU + 400.4 amp (doh!)

Originally posted by The Sleeper

$100 Clarion 635dx*** HU
$83 Jensen 500 Watt Amp
$140 Clarion 400.4 4ch
$50 2 Jensen 12" subs
$40 Dual 12" sealed box

which best buy did you get your stuff installed at
Old 03-24-2002, 09:00 PM

best buy in green bay. i'll never have anyone do stereo install for me. thing with best buy is that they also broke my really old pioneer DEH-1000 cd player when they clipped the diode on the pioneer harness, and of course, it's too old, they won't order parts for it.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea..im sorry to hear mann...well...Best Buy is making it mandatory to have MECP cert. if you've worked in install for a year....not that it will CURE the problems..but it'll help by having installers who know what NOT to do...well i guess it helps..once again sorry for your bad experience.