Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2 CMPx2's not htting like they should?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 PM

2 CMPx2's not htting like they should?

Right now I have 2 Crystal CMPX2's, 12's. I have a stealth autotek class D 1500 watt amp hooked up to them. They don't hit that hard or as they should. They are really clean. You think I should get another amp or sell one sub. They rms at 1600 watts per sub. Would it sound louder and better if I powered one amp to one sub? How do you think it would sound if I got another 1500 watt autotk for it? If I did that it should hit pretty hard. I mean has anyone ever heard 2 of these hooked up powered to their fullest?
Old 04-04-2002, 11:17 PM

well, why not!?
Old 04-05-2002, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by puremax
well, why not!?
if the rms is 1600, then you are severely underpowering both subs. if you don't have the money for another amp right now, i'd just go ahead and run one sub.

in my opinion most people blow their subs from underpowering there subs and turning the gains up. but i'm not saying that's what your doing, i hope you not doing that.

Old 04-05-2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by victor

if the rms is 1600, then you are severely underpowering both subs. if you don't have the money for another amp right now, i'd just go ahead and run one sub.

in my opinion most people blow their subs from underpowering there subs and turning the gains up. but i'm not saying that's what your doing, i hope you not doing that.

hmmm....I think you could be right..You think I could blow the sub because it's not getting it's full power? oh yeah, the gains are all the way up. U think I should buy another amp? That would be 3000 watts. WOuldn't that be over kill? What do you think? I already have a blue top optima and a 2.0 farad cap. It should be pretty easy to toss in another amp.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by puremax

hmmm....I think you could be right..You think I could blow the sub because it's not getting it's full power? oh yeah, the gains are all the way up. U think I should buy another amp? That would be 3000 watts. WOuldn't that be over kill? What do you think? I already have a blue top optima and a 2.0 farad cap. It should be pretty easy to toss in another amp.
i think you should definately get another amp. more power and gains all the way down, is better than less power and the gains all the way up.

the reason i think you would blow your sub is that it will distort at higher volumes, because it doesn't have enough clean power. why don't you try using only one sub for the time being?
Old 04-05-2002, 03:04 PM

Always remember that the gains are not volume control, they are there to match the output of your headunit for best sound quality (filter out clipping and distortion) If your amp isn't strong enough, get another amp, dont max out the one you have..