Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bandpass enclosures for subs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bandpass enclosures for subs...

Can anyone out there tell me the difference between the different orders of bandpass enclosures for subs. I've seen diagrams for 4th-order bandpass enclosures, but never for the ones that seem to be the most popular (two subs facing each other at an angle in a sealed enclosure (usually a plexiglass window) having separate enclosures fore each sub, and each sub has its own port firing in the same direction as the plexiglass window.

I don't know if my little explanation made sense, but I've been curious as to what the advantages/disadvantages are regarding these types of enclosures. I have an enclosure like the one I described above with two Kicker Comp C-10a subs (8ohm) in them, wired together in parallel to produce a 4ohm load on my sub amp. I've had these subs in this box for a long time, but they've never gotten more than 100W fed into them each, and they handle 175W RMS (300W MAX). I imagine they should handle the 200W RMS I'll be feeding them with the amp I have pretty well. If not, I'll be looking for another set in another enclosure .

Do these kinds of enclosures generally produce more bass than a simple vented or sealed enclosure? Also, how would I 'tune' a box like this (and how would I know what frequency to tune a box like this to)? The ports are made of some sort of thick cardboard tubing (like paper towel rolls), and I'd imagine that it would be pretty easy to change the dimensions if needed/desired. I have a friend with 4, 12" Eclipse subs in a custom sealed enclosure (they used the spare tire well in a Chrysler 300M), and I think my two 10's can hang with those because of the enclosure I have. I believe that if he had a vented or bandpass enclosure, I'd have no chance... I don't know how much power his subs are getting, but I know he's running Kenwood amps to power them.

Anyway, thanks for the info in advance...

peace2u