Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

JL 12W0-bandpass or sealed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:52 PM

I just bought a new JL 12W0 and wasn't sure if I should put it in a bandpass or sealed box. I've heard that the bandpass boxes have more bass but they are very pricey and big. Is it worth spending more for a bandpass or would a sealed be good enough. Also, does anyone know of a company that makes bandpass boxes which are smaller but affordable? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2000, 05:50 PM

Sealed will give you a smaller box with more accurate sound. Bandpass gives you a bigger box that'll play louder, but it won't be as accurate and will only be loud around one frequency. If you're building the box yourself, sealed is easier to do without messing it up. It's really a matter of personal preference- how do you like your bass?
Old 12-02-2000, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Botos
Sealed will give you a smaller box with more accurate sound. Bandpass gives you a bigger box that'll play louder, but it won't be as accurate and will only be loud around one frequency. If you're building the box yourself, sealed is easier to do without messing it up. It's really a matter of personal preference- how do you like your bass?
I tend to listen to R&B and other music with a lot of bass. I was thinking of building my own box but cannot decide where to place it. Should I build it behind the rear passengers or on the rear drivers side of the trunk. If I do build my own box, where should I mount the amp? Any suggestions or pictures?
Old 12-03-2000, 08:31 AM

For R&B, I think you'd want the sound of a sealed box. I actually have a 12W0 I'm going to be putting in a sealed box, so I've been debating how to arrange it, too. So far, I've been thinking of making a box that stretches between the rear shock towers, matches the slope of the back seat, and has a flat face towards the back of the car. The width of the box would be 32", which should be enough to fit both the sub and an amp on that back face.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Botos
For R&B, I think you'd want the sound of a sealed box. I actually have a 12W0 I'm going to be putting in a sealed box, so I've been debating how to arrange it, too. So far, I've been thinking of making a box that stretches between the rear shock towers, matches the slope of the back seat, and has a flat face towards the back of the car. The width of the box would be 32", which should be enough to fit both the sub and an amp on that back face.
I was thinking of building a sub box exactly as you have described it. I am also still debating which way the sub should be pointing. You said that you might place the sub and amp on the back face of the box. Do you mean that the amp and sub are facing the back seats or facing the back of the car? Have you come up with any dimentions for the box. If you did, can you send me them because I have never made a box before. If I come up with anything I'll email it to you.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Nathan
I was thinking of building a sub box exactly as you have described it. I am also still debating which way the sub should be pointing. You said that you might place the sub and amp on the back face of the box. Do you mean that the amp and sub are facing the back seats or facing the back of the car? Have you come up with any dimentions for the box. If you did, can you send me them because I have never made a box before. If I come up with anything I'll email it to you.
I'd suggest a deathbox, I mentioned it earlier on this forum somewhere. Best of both worlds and it's relatively small (14"x14"x32" for a 12" sub). I think you'll find it outperforms about every enclosure type out there in terms of volume and accuracy. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're selling anything but the plans anymore (they used to sell kits and assembled boxes), and it's not an easy design to build. In fact, I'd say if you're not an experienced box builder, it's probably going to be a disaster. You could take the plans to a shop and have them build it though... Or you could also email steve, the designer/shop owner and ask if they still sell the kits or boxes. My kit was $60 for all the wood, precut, so I just had to screw it together.

See http://www.decware.com/dbk12.htm for more info, I'll vouch for everything they say about it
Old 12-03-2000, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by deathwish
I'd suggest a deathbox, I mentioned it earlier on this forum somewhere. Best of both worlds and it's relatively small (14"x14"x32" for a 12" sub). I think you'll find it outperforms about every enclosure type out there in terms of volume and accuracy. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're selling anything but the plans anymore (they used to sell kits and assembled boxes), and it's not an easy design to build. In fact, I'd say if you're not an experienced box builder, it's probably going to be a disaster. You could take the plans to a shop and have them build it though... Or you could also email steve, the designer/shop owner and ask if they still sell the kits or boxes. My kit was $60 for all the wood, precut, so I just had to screw it together.

See http://www.decware.com/dbk12.htm for more info, I'll vouch for everything they say about it
Did you say deathbox or stealthbox. Which ever one it was, it sounds like e great deal. Can you give me the company that makes the kit or the plans. Where does the box go in the trunk? Any pics? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:52 PM
Banned

dont get a bandpass box....

i think the powerwedge box from jl is the best...its a sealed box and sounds good...the bandpass just sounds like random bass..the sealed box is clean and precise
Old 12-03-2000, 08:00 PM

Did you say deathbox or stealthbox. Which ever one it was, it sounds like e great deal. Can you give me the company that makes the kit or the plans. Where does the box go in the trunk? Any pics? Thanks.
Click the link in my last post... Read up on their site. Check out the reviews too (http://www.decware.com/dbqa.htm). The guy's name is Steve Deckart, he runs a business in Illinois, mainly designing and selling his own creations (amps, speakers, enclosures, etc). The stealthbox is something different, it's a JL thingy. The deathbox got it's name because during the design, they blew up a lot of woofers... It's basically a super high efficient bandpass box that has two key advantages over normal bandpass boxes. First, it's small. Putting a big box inside your car is bad, causes all sorts of interfering waves and stuff, by keeping the box small you don't have to wory about this, and since the panels are smaller, the box is also stiffer which is good. Second, it's got a cool design. Most bandpass boxes have fixed circular ports. When a sound wave travels through a port of a certain diameter, it acts as a filter by amplifying some waves and damping others. That's why bandpass boxes are typically very boomy, they generally boost sounds at about 45 hz and damp all the other sound so that you get bass only around one frequency. The deathbox uses a bit of a winding port with a different sized exit port, designed to allow it to play at all frequencies. It really rivals the accuracy of a sealed box while keeping the efficiency of a bandpass box. That's why I say it's the best of both worlds.

Really, for anyone who doesn't want to do a custom/show install, I think the deathbox is about the best enclosure you can get. Mine was just a single 10" and it was plenty of sound in a nice small package. Since it's nice and small too, you can move it around your trunk and figure out where to best place it.
Old 12-04-2000, 06:01 AM
Disco Biscuit

Those deathboxes are cool.

I heard one once in NYC when I was into home audio. Great design. I couldn't believe the output it had.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:15 PM

See http://www.decware.com/dbk12.htm for more info, I'll vouch for everything they say about it [/I][/QUOTE]
After building the deathbox, did you cover the box with grey matching cloth?
Old 12-23-2000, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is that the deathbox you have pictured on sounddomain?

Originally posted by deathwish
Click the link in my last post... Read up on their site. Check out the reviews too (http://www.decware.com/dbqa.htm). The guy's name is Steve Deckart, he runs a business in Illinois, mainly designing and selling his own creations (amps, speakers, enclosures, etc). The stealthbox is something different, it's a JL thingy. The deathbox got it's name because during the design, they blew up a lot of woofers... It's basically a super high efficient bandpass box that has two key advantages over normal bandpass boxes. First, it's small. Putting a big box inside your car is bad, causes all sorts of interfering waves and stuff, by keeping the box small you don't have to wory about this, and since the panels are smaller, the box is also stiffer which is good. Second, it's got a cool design. Most bandpass boxes have fixed circular ports. When a sound wave travels through a port of a certain diameter, it acts as a filter by amplifying some waves and damping others. That's why bandpass boxes are typically very boomy, they generally boost sounds at about 45 hz and damp all the other sound so that you get bass only around one frequency. The deathbox uses a bit of a winding port with a different sized exit port, designed to allow it to play at all frequencies. It really rivals the accuracy of a sealed box while keeping the efficiency of a bandpass box. That's why I say it's the best of both worlds.

Really, for anyone who doesn't want to do a custom/show install, I think the deathbox is about the best enclosure you can get. Mine was just a single 10" and it was plenty of sound in a nice small package. Since it's nice and small too, you can move it around your trunk and figure out where to best place it.