Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where does a FARED go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 08:47 PM

Where does a FARED go?

Just wondering, Since i may be getting a 1/2 fared. Where does it go? attach? Since i am only running 2 amps, an alpine for my sub and a 4 channel kenwood for my speakers, i want to keep the light dimming to a minimum.

thanks
bryan
Old 05-03-2002, 10:38 PM

Follow the charging directions for the capacitor and then wire it as close as possible to the power wire of the amp. You will need to ground seperately from the amp, otherwise you will get alternator whine. I'd get you a picture of mine but you can't see it until I get my second one in with voltage display.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:52 AM

i don't really know if a capacitor will fix your light dimming problems.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:48 AM

I thought that is what is needed to fix dimming. If that isn't, then what is?
Old 05-04-2002, 08:03 AM

Not to ruin anyones flavor, but capacitors are useless. They are energy storage devices, but if they are discharges it is obvious there is a lack of energy in the system. How are they supposed to recharge when the system is already starved for energy? They can't. At moderate levels they can be effective, but c'mon. Is it worth it? Get an Optima Battery, yellow top of course to solve light dimming problems. It fixed light dimming problems and stoped my alternator breaking habit as soon as I got one in my old car. I'm running about 700 Watts in my max and I made sure I had the optima in before I installed anything. No problems yet! Best 200 bucks you can spend. I would consider it the most important part of my system! Good power in = good sound out.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:15 AM

TEST POST

Sorry, I'm experimenting trying to add some singature pics. I needed to post to see if I did it right. If no pics show on this post, could someone tell me how to do it! Thx
Old 05-04-2002, 09:04 AM

caps are good because when your system is in need of extra power, it'll take it from the cap. That's why if you have a powerfull stereo, alot of people recommend getting one. the extra drain of energy taken by bass notes is taken from the cap.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:13 AM

TheNip: First off, there is a test post section so that you can test your sigs out. Just wanted to point that out to you.

Ok now how is it that you think a cap will not help?? Let me give you an example of when a cap did work. When I put in my system, I was pushing just over 1000W, 700W to my subs and 360W to my interior. I was running this off a stock battery and a 1.2F cap that I bought off of a friend. I never had a dimming problem. Not once.

Caps only discharge when the system cannot produce enough current to run the amps. For instance on a long low bass tone or a large crescendo in the music. This is when the system is starved and needs the help of the cap. Then when the bass tone is over and the music quiets down, then the cap can recharge and be ready for the next shortage.

I won't disagree that a battery helps out the situations tremendously, but it is not the end all be all. A capacitor has it's uses as well. One of the ways to really get the most use out of a cap is to put it right before you sub amp. The sub amps are what typically draw the most current and when those loud bass tones come a rockin' then the cap steps in and gives the amp the extra current it is seeking and saves teh struggling electrical system.

Ok, I rambled on for long enough. Just wanted to point out that caps aren't useless.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:32 AM

Alright, caps aren't totally useless... I listen to a lot of rap and heavy metal, so for my case they really don't have time to recharge. I still think they are a waste, but yes, they can be beneficial for "standard" types of music where there are parts in the song that need a little helping out. I would recommend a battery upgrade before a cap, however. if you still have problems then go the cap route.
Old 05-04-2002, 03:17 PM

Yeah, it's been my understanding that the caps are really referred to as stiffening capacitors; meaning that if your system is properly set up, your electrical system meets the majority of the demand of the stereo and the cap will just help out with heavy bass notes requiring a sudden increase in power. Caps will also help your amps run cooler by keeping the voltage at a higher level. Higher voltage means lower current, which is what creates heat.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:36 PM

i agree with thenip. i also think caps are a waste. most people use them to try and fix electrical systems without enough power. i think they are just bandaids.

get a new alternator, if you don't have enough money i guess a new battery will do.