Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

There are some stations that I was able to get in my old car, that I cannot get in my 1995 Maxima SE. Could it be the antenna? My antenna seems really short and skinny compared to a 99 SE for example. Is that the problem here or is it something else?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:54 PM

Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

Would changing the antenna out with a 99 Maxima antenna fix that problem?

Originally posted by speedemn
There are some stations that I was able to get in my old car, that I cannot get in my 1995 Maxima SE. Could it be the antenna? My antenna seems really short and skinny compared to a 99 SE for example. Is that the problem here or is it something else?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:10 AM

Re: Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

I doubt that changing the antenna would help. I've got a 95 Max also, and the reception was not good. I replaced the factory sterio with my kenwood from my previous car, still using the factory antenna. The reception is much better now. I would say the problem is more likely the receiver than the antenna. I know BOSS is a good name, but I think these units much use cheaper parts or some such thing... I was going to get rid of the factory speakers also, but now with the new sterio they sound great. I just put a 10" sub in the back and I'm all set... The sound could still use some work, but I think that caps could take care of that.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

Originally posted by dave harms
I doubt that changing the antenna would help. I've got a 95 Max also, and the reception was not good. I replaced the factory sterio with my kenwood from my previous car, still using the factory antenna. The reception is much better now. I would say the problem is more likely the receiver than the antenna. I know BOSS is a good name, but I think these units much use cheaper parts or some such thing... I was going to get rid of the factory speakers also, but now with the new sterio they sound great. I just put a 10" sub in the back and I'm all set... The sound could still use some work, but I think that caps could take care of that.
I thought about putting my Eclipse deck in my 1995. However, my 1995 SE has a double din BOSE deck from the factory in there. Can I take the whole thing out and put my single din deck in? How would I close the gap? Can I get some sort of kit from anywhere that will allow me to make it look more aesthetically pleasing? Its just the stereo that is in that double din pocket right? Its not like I will be ripping anything else out that I shouldn't be?

Secondly, my antenna is really short... I've seen other gen 4 Maximas with longer antennas (and I think thicker too). Can get get a longer one for my Max?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

I guess I had it easier, my factory deck was a single. Supprisingly enough, when I took it out it has 'Clarion' stickers on it. The frame that the sterio's mount into are the same between models. The pieces that go into this frame are modular. However, I am not familiar with any "blanks" to put into the remaining hole below a replacement sterio. The 'standard size' deck I put into my 95 maxima fit quite well. The holes in the side of the factory sterio are positioned precisely where they are on after-market sterios. If you want more info on the removal of the center console, bossibly just to look at the options, I can give you more info. I'm also familiar with help sites on this topic. (remove and modification of stock sterio parts, etc.)
As far as your antenna goes, an antenna needs to be a specific length in order to pick up one full wave of a signal. If it's a bit to long or a bit to short it will definately affect reception. When antennas are manufactured they make them in specific lengths: 1/4 , 1/2, full. Any variation of these lengths will give more or less pertenant signal and affect clarity of reception. Is your antenna a 'telescopic' antenna, or a 'fixed' length antenna. Assuming it's telescopic: quit often the will wear out and not extend or retract fully. My friend has a 97GLE and thought it wasn't meant to retract all the way. (untill I 'helped' it) It was just wearing out. Sometimes I need to help mine also. When I turn the sterio on I will pull up on the antenna untill it stops pushing. Usually you can tell if it's not fully extended by looking at the telescoping sections, the size of the antenna should reduce towards the top evenly. The base of the antenna should obviously be thickest. If you see unusual downsizing of the antenna you can be fairly sure that not all sections are extending fully. Sometime just cleaning the antenna with a light oil will help it to run smoother.

dave
Old 06-11-2002, 10:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

Originally posted by dave harms
I guess I had it easier, my factory deck was a single. Supprisingly enough, when I took it out it has 'Clarion' stickers on it. The frame that the sterio's mount into are the same between models. The pieces that go into this frame are modular. However, I am not familiar with any "blanks" to put into the remaining hole below a replacement sterio. The 'standard size' deck I put into my 95 maxima fit quite well. The holes in the side of the factory sterio are positioned precisely where they are on after-market sterios. If you want more info on the removal of the center console, bossibly just to look at the options, I can give you more info. I'm also familiar with help sites on this topic. (remove and modification of stock sterio parts, etc.)

I think I read sometime back on some thread there that I can get some sort of kit to convert the factory BOSE double din setup to 2 single din setup so that I can put a single din aftermarket deck in one of those slots. I can't find the thread now.

As far as your antenna goes, an antenna needs to be a specific length in order to pick up one full wave of a signal. If it's a bit to long or a bit to short it will definately affect reception. When antennas are manufactured they make them in specific lengths: 1/4 , 1/2, full. Any variation of these lengths will give more or less pertenant signal and affect clarity of reception. Is your antenna a 'telescopic' antenna, or a 'fixed' length antenna. Assuming it's telescopic: quit often the will wear out and not extend or retract fully. My friend has a 97GLE and thought it wasn't meant to retract all the way. (untill I 'helped' it) It was just wearing out. Sometimes I need to help mine also. When I turn the sterio on I will pull up on the antenna untill it stops pushing. Usually you can tell if it's not fully extended by looking at the telescoping sections, the size of the antenna should reduce towards the top evenly. The base of the antenna should obviously be thickest. If you see unusual downsizing of the antenna you can be fairly sure that not all sections are extending fully. Sometime just cleaning the antenna with a light oil will help it to run smoother.

dave
Thanks for the tip. My antenna is a power antenna. I'll try to pull on the antenna while the motor is winding it out, to see if it comes up any further. What kind of oil/grease can I use so that it doesn't stick, if in fact that is the case?
Old 06-12-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poor reception in my 1995 BOSE radio

I would clean it with some alcohol or WD40, then use some 3 in 1 oil to keep it lubricated. If you use a heavy oil it will gum up and make it worse. It will also attract dirt if you use to much oil. I usually put lots on and run the antenna up and down. Then when it's going well I clean all the oil off with a rag.
good luck
dave