Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Port your Trunk for about $7

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 06:57 PM

Port your Trunk for about $7

Was having trouble with getting the air movement created by my sub out of the trunk. Folding the seats down didn't seem practical, so here's what I did:

Went to Lowe's (Home Depot or any other hardware store) and picked up four 1 1/2 inch tall, 2 1/2 inch wide Black PVC end caps in the plumbing area and some industrial strength Velcro.

Folded down the rear seats and velcro'd the endcaps to the upper portion of the black frame that the rear seats rest on. This holds the seats away from the rear deck and creates about 2 inches of space at the top of the seats, which creates an excellent air tranfer port and smooth bass.

The space at the top totally depends on how high/low you mound the caps, but most importantly allows the rear seats to sit upright in an almost normal, yet still comfortable position for passengers.

Even better is the fact that the caps look great (they are black to match the plastic in the car) and can easily be removed with passengers in the rear seats if necessary.

I mounted the caps at about the same height across the back panel as the metal hook that the rear seats lock into.

This made a significant difference in the sound of my system, and helped to keep my rear deck from bouncing soooo much! It also cost a whopping $7 to do!

This may not be for everyone, but if your bass is muffled by rattles and lack of air movement, this may be your answer too!

Let me know what you think!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Mauja He Mauja

sopunds pretty good. do u have any pics??
Old 06-27-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us
I can arrange that. I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow, or possibly this weekend. Stay tuned...
Old 06-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Sting_NC_'01Max

I can arrange that. I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow, or possibly this weekend. Stay tuned...

kewl
Old 06-28-2002, 05:21 PM

Wouldn't taking the Bose sub out of the rear deck be easier? Then you have the hole from the it for the bass to travel through.

Stereodude
Old 06-28-2002, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Wouldn't taking the Bose sub out of the rear deck be easier? Then you have the hole from the it for the bass to travel through.

Stereodude
Don't have the Bose system. I bought one without it, 'cause I knew I was going to dump the factory system. As for easier, it really took about 10 minutes to rig this setup. I know it sounds odd, but I have much deeper richer bass than before.

Also, you have to watch how you port things. If you don't have enough "breathing room" you will "tune" your system for only certain frequencies, very much like ported boxes that have sweet spots.

Your idea would be great had I bought the Bose system, but thanks for the advice!

Take care...
Old 06-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Redlinemax Owner

If you don't have the bose sub then the cut out for the sub is in the rear deck and you could have just popped that out.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Redmax
If you don't have the bose sub then the cut out for the sub is in the rear deck and you could have just popped that out.
That's what I did!

This way if I were ever in an accident that back seat will be latched and my amps and subs won't hit me in the back of the head (even as good as they are mounted)!
Old 06-30-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Redmax
And I could have spent $160 to replace the back dash when I sold the car. I appreciate the comments; however, my intentions were to leave the car as stock as possible. My cheapo mod gave me the sound I wanted and I didn't have cut the rear deck and pay God knows how much to get a grill or cover for the hole.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:37 PM
Redlinemax Owner

You would not have had to cut the rear deck. The rear deck is nothing but a sheet of cardboard on top of sheet metal. the sheet metal is stamped for all of the extras that can come with the car. if you opt for bose , they punch the piece out from the sheet metal and put a subwoofer under the deck the part you would have to pop out would not have been seen because it under the cardboard piece that you see when you look at the rear deck it would not cost you anything when you go to sell the car. but i understand you were trying to tell us all your remedy for getting more bass in the front of your car! Theres no right way just different ways. so Cool
Old 07-06-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by dba1999us
Sorry for the LARGE photo, but I wanted you to see the detail of this very simple and easy to add/remove mod.

[IMG]E:\Digital Photos\Stereo Install\Image008.jpg[/IMG]