Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

New to AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Cookin' with Gas!

New to AutoX

hey guys, this is my first post in the autox forum and am excited that I am here. My question is I have a 4th gen max with light modifications(intake, y-pipe) and am riding on s-techs and stock struts thanks to previous owner who wasn't bright enough to replace struts! Anyway, will I have fun in my car out there and do I need to replace the struts before I give it a go or should I just take them out there and blow them so I have a good excuse to my wife as to why I need struts.....lol. My other concern is that I am riding on 350z 18's and am concerned that these are not ideal for autocross. I just want to go out there and play around and am not looking into being the fastest car out there. My local events are actually held on a kart track and the fee is only like $65 a day. Anyway, your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
this place is dead

Yes, you will have fun,
No, you probably won't blow your shocks (unless they're nearly blown already)
18's are fine, and 350Z rims will take it, just make sure your tire pressures aren't way high or way low.
There is another post in this forum that Irish posted with a link to a SE-R forum, it includes infor on tire pressures...look at it before you go.

The only other thing is that $65 seems really steep, is that including the membership fee?
Most SCCA auto-x'es (when your a non-member) are usuallly only around $30-40
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
The only other thing is that $65 seems really steep, is that including the membership fee?
Most SCCA auto-x'es (when your a non-member) are usuallly only around $30-40

Our local CDC meets are something like $35 for non-members and $25 for members, IIRC.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 AM

just do it..
Old 02-09-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 97vq30de
just do it..
You need to get some suspension upgrades so you can start too... or not... you saw what John did at Ripken in his stock 97..
Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
You need to get some suspension upgrades so you can start too... or not... you saw what John did at Ripken in his stock 97..
HEY!
I was watching that Street Tuner Challenge thing recently, and aside from the extremely gay music and quasi-riceboy focus, that Cobalt that BEAT the skyline was kicking the 3-wheel too. yA bEtTeR rECOgNIZe fOO! i aINT gOtTA B sNOoP tO rOLL dA 3-wHEeL mOTiOn!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:22 AM

HEY!
I was watching that Street Tuner Challenge thing recently, and aside from the extremely gay music and quasi-riceboy focus, that Cobalt that BEAT the skyline was kicking the 3-wheel too. yA bEtTeR rECOgNIZe fOO! i aINT gOtTA B sNOoP tO rOLL dA 3-wHEeL mOTiOn!
I was complimenting you, not raggin.... homey
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I was complimenting you, not raggin.... homey
I know, I just enjoy acting retarded sometimes.....yO!

Seriously though, did anyone see that, granted the reason the Cobalt won was all driver, but obviously the platform had the capability to throw up some good numbers.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Any car in stock form can handle a day auto-xing, you'll be more than fine with your setup, go learn how to drive and have an absolute BLAST doing it.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:36 AM

Wow, lots of "locals" (to me at least) in here. Just wanted to say hey. I autocross in the DC/PA area, but not a Maxima. I'll echo what others have said, $65 is steep and you need to be careful on a kart track. If you drop a wheel things can get stupid in a hurry. I used to run on one up in PA with my Camaro. Was a lot of fun but someone almost killed the food vendor when he slid off.

If any of you are at a DC autox come up and say hey. I'm #75 E Street Prepared in a burgundy Camaro.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by BigEnos
Wow, lots of "locals" (to me at least) in here. Just wanted to say hey. I autocross in the DC/PA area, but not a Maxima. I'll echo what others have said, $65 is steep and you need to be careful on a kart track. If you drop a wheel things can get stupid in a hurry. I used to run on one up in PA with my Camaro. Was a lot of fun but someone almost killed the food vendor when he slid off.

If any of you are at a DC autox come up and say hey. I'm #75 E Street Prepared in a burgundy Camaro.
You run with the phillyscca when they're at Ripken? Your camaro sounds like it may need a trip up to Warminster on the airstrip auto-x.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 AM

You run with the phillyscca when they're at Ripken? Your camaro sounds like it may need a trip up to Warminster on the airstrip auto-x.
I do run with Philly when the come to Ripken, when I can at least. I think I did 3 events with them last year including the holbert (where I had a little cone trouble)

My club (autocrossers incorporated) runs events at Ripken also. I think we're planning on six events there this year.

Never been to Warminster.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by BigEnos
I do run with Philly when the come to Ripken, when I can at least. I think I did 3 events with them last year including the holbert (where I had a little cone trouble)

My club (autocrossers incorporated) runs events at Ripken also. I think we're planning on six events there this year.

Never been to Warminster.
How much do your events run? Membership required etc...etc...

I don't think I've ever crossed paths with you yet, but now that they're on a split heat format who knows if we ever will.

Whenever I go to Warminster I will take some footage to try to clue everyone in if it's worth a hike or not.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 AM

How much do your events run? Membership required etc...etc...

I don't think I've ever crossed paths with you yet, but now that they're on a split heat format who knows if we ever will.

Whenever I go to Warminster I will take some footage to try to clue everyone in if it's worth a hike or not.
I think our events are gonna be $35 this year. Unfortunately the Ripken lot is expensive and we haven't been able to get the numbers up. We will be offering a points series with trophies. Membership is not required. We run at least 4 runs last year at least once we did 5, but that was only because attendance was low (rainy day I think). Our course designer is Lee Piccione (has designed for the SoloII Nationals) or Greg Olsen (one of DCs leading designers) and we have some of the best courses at Ripken in my opinion. http://www.autocrossersinc.org is our web address. Don't mind the silly redirect, our website is in transition right now. The schedule is there as is other information. Pass it along.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
retired moderator

i'll be looking into that as well...the hike up to Ripken is worth it to avoid the crowded fedEx Field events full of rich kids with Evos who live in Great Falls

let me know when any of you guys are running with Philly SCCA or autocrossersinc at ripken! That april 15th event looks like a good time to test and tune for the new season!