Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Eighty Six.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Fire in the hole!

Eighty Six.

Eighty Six. 86. Ochenta y seis.

"86" is a term that anybody in the restaurant industry recognizes as the international symbol for "no more, we ain't got it." I've been in the business for almost 14 years now, and have uttered that number more times than I can even care to think about.

The reason I preface this thread with that, and the thread title, is to refer to my current status as a racing driver.

As much as I want to make the sacrifices necessary to become a great driver, I also have to realize that what I am sacrificing, is the very thing that I sacrificed so much more for. My career, my lifeblood, my bread and butter. I have to focus on work now. It's at the level now, that not only can I not take the time off to go racing, the reality is, racing is expensive. Rebuilding coilovers every 4 months is time consuming, expensive, and a pain in the ***. No matter what gets fixed, 3 more things pop up. Plus with the grenading of the motor back in June, I'm still in a HUGE debt to my parents for the new motor.

With that said, in the next couple weeks, expect to see an ad in the 4th gen parts classifieds, as all of my mods are going to be for sale. I'm getting out of racing for a little while, and the easiest way to curb temptation is to not allow the temptation to exist.

It's been a fun 9 years, fellow autocrossers. I've made a lot of friends from it, reached one of the pinnacles of autocrossing by getting FTDI several times over, built 11 cars for it, and have driven easily four times that many. In time, I'll be back. Rest assured.
But for now, racing is on the "86" board.

--Evan

Last edited by Chefasaurus; 10-23-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 PM

its also known as the hachi roku. one bad *** car seen on such shows as initial D.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I haven't heard anybody say "86" on Iron Chef or Hell's Kitchen. Weird.

Anyways, life evolves... You're going through a change and I support you. I got outta the modding part pretty quick. All I can say is, let your dreams, goals, aspirations guide you. If work is a priority (which I notice it was in your OT post about your back), then go for it. In order to gain something, u gotta give up something.

Jae
Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Fire in the hole!

that's because HK and Iron Chef aren't real restaurants.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
retired moderator

sorry to hear it. I'm in the same boat. New house, baby on the way, not going to have time to autocross fora while. Car nearing 140k miles and it's my daily driver, and need to make it last a few more years. I'm not de-modding it (I still like to drive fast on the street), but I just sold my autocross wheels/tires to finance a beater SUV to haul crap from Home Depot with, lol......

I will, however, be back to the autocross scene with a vengeance in 2 years (estimated) when the GT6 is completed

that, and I'm already a great driver....so there's noplace to go but down
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I'm only just getting started...

but I have never heard of the "86" term either and I worked my fair share of time in the restaurant business until now when I landed my recent job getting out of that industry
Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Even I know what that means.....I've never worked or cared about anything to do with cooking or chefs (except of course how good the food is).

DF
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus

--Evan
Sorry to hear, man. I'm still going through school and get *****ed at by car buddies because I don't have the money nor the time to go autoxing or go to events... pisses me off. Wish I could go, but cars will only get you so far...

Also, to get my cheap racing thrills I use Live for Speed and a FF wheel.

Originally Posted by AnDyMaN
its also known as the hachi roku. one bad *** car seen on such shows as initial D.
That car is the antonym of badass. I'm sure it's great at delivering tofu though.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 AM

WEAKSAUCE!!

BTW, happy late b-day.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM
this place is dead

I've used it for years, but not sure if I started using it after the Red Sox lost, or when I started working as a cook a few years later.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86_(number)

generally used in restaurant or food service environments when a specific item is no longer available. For example, "86 baked haddock", or "the mussels have been 86'ed", or in a bar when you may have drunk too much and can never come back.
used as a verb, to "eighty-six" means to "ignore" or "get rid of". The first recorded usage of this term occurs in the mid-1930s. Suggested theories of the origin of this usage include (in no particular order):
Eighty miles out and six feet under; when a person who is to be killed by the mafia is forced to dig his own grave many miles away from civilization.
Possibly a reference to article 86 of the New York state liquor code which defines the circumstances in which a bar patron should be refused service or "86ed".
Another theory has it that this is rhyming slang for "nix." However, if so, it would be a wholly American origin, and thus would be unusual for rhyming slang.[1]
Others have suggested that this usage originated from the famous Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City, as item number 86 on their menu, their house steak, often ran out during the 19th century. However, there is no recorded usage of this term in the nineteenth century.
Another explanation is that Chumley's, which was a famous 1900s New York speakeasy, is located at 86 Bedford St. During Prohibition, an entrance through an interior adjoining courtyard was used, as it provided privacy and discretion for customers. As was a New York tradition, the cops were on the payroll of the bar and would give a ring to the bar that they were coming for a raid. The bartender would then give the command "86 everybody!", which meant that everyone should hightail it out the 86 Bedford entrance because the cops were coming in through the courtyard door.
The term came into popular use among soldiers and veterans to describe missing soldiers as 86'd. Rather than describe buddies missing in action, it was slang to describe the MIA as being AWOL, therefore violating UCMJ Sub Chapter X Article 86.
Another explanation is the possibility of a simple variation of the slang term deep six, which has identical meaning, and is simply meant to describe the approximate depth of water needed for a burial at sea.
One possible origin is the public outdoor observatory on the 86th floor of the Empire State Building, the site of more than 30 suicides.
Another origin related to the Empire State Building is the fact that all the elevators stop at the 86th floor. Hence, everyone had to leave. The building opened in 1931, apparently a few years before the term became popular.
For many baseball fans, the most popular if misplaced reference was born of the 1986 playoff debacle for the Boston Red Sox. Game 6 and (eventually) the World Series slipped through the glove of first baseman Bill Buckner in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Sox didn't recover from the letdown in time for Game 7 and the New York Mets took the '86 crown. With Red Sox fans long considering the team to be cursed from trading Babe Ruth for cash and the 1986 World Series representing the closest shot the team had at winning the World Series in decades, the term '86 took on the meaning of "not happening."