Hello everyone, first off thank you to everyone on this site. It has been a great source of information.
We're just a small team of three guys who enjoy endurance racing (Bromance Racing)
. Late in 2014 we found a 4 cylinder mustang and got it ready to race in in 2015. Our first race was a Chumpcar event at Road America. While we had fun, we quickly found that our engine was very under powered. So for the next race I found and rebuilt a 5.0 v8. In the next race we did much better, we ending up finishing in the top half of the finishing order at our only "24 hours of lemons". Our third race was at BIR in Minnesota, we were holding our own until we broke a rear brake line with about 3-4 hours left in the race. Our last race was at Road America again, but this time we had a much larger engine. Near the end of day 1, we broke our Transmission. Luckily we had a spare that actually ending up being better then our primary transmission. Day 2 went off with any issues and we had a great time. In our last race I was able to live stream
from the car. I plan to do that for the all of our events next year.
This time around I want to do a better job of documenting the build. I'll be posting our progress in this forum.
I'll also be asking a bunch of questions and asking for suggestions here as well. Like for example, I have been saving all of our good parts, would it be worth it to sell them on ebay or in the classified section here? The motor is another area where I'll be asking question, it's a lot different then the v8 engines I am used to working on and rebuilding. While I'm not worried about the mechanical side, it's the world of ECU's and tuning that is new to me.
Ok, on to the car!
We picked up the MINT
2002 Maxima last week. It has about 120,000 miles and features a 6 speed manual, which we are fairly sure it has limited slip.
The garage is a bit tight with the Cobra in the other stall.
Justin is removing parts from the dash. Most of it went well, we did get stuck on the airbag cover on the passenger side. "That bastard is in there!"
The trunk would not open so I was volunteered to climb in from the back seat and pull the abduction leaver.
I have heard about how tearing apart a car can feel like an archaeological dig. You will find all sorts of stuff! After removing a few panels from the trunk we found this CD that summed up my trunk experience "the Great Escape Artist".
I removed the engine cover, battery and after market intake so I could inspect the motor and transmission a bit more. As of right now, our plan is to leave the motor/transmission in for the first race. In the spring we'll be renting the local speedway to give the car a proper shake down. We'll know a bunch more after that!
At the end of our night, we made some good progress.
Night 2 started off finding more artifacts. You could say we are working on our Night Moves!
We only got a couple of hours in on night 2, but we made some good progress.
That's all the progress for now, I'll be posting more as we work on it!
Just for kicks, here is a shot of our last car at Road America!