Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Lamin-X Films

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 AM
The Golden One

Lamin-X Films

So,

2 months ago I got new fog lights because both of mine had cracked. The ones I had on the car were my second set. Since I was ordering a 3rd set, I figured I'd invest in some protective films so I wouldn't have to keep buying fog lights.

So I did some searching and came across Lamin-X. I got the thickest possible films I could (40 mil). In the package, I got two headlight films, and two fog lights films as well as a squeegee and a spray bottle. Sounds like a sweet package for $80 right? Right.

The install went just fine. The instructions were easy to follow. I let the fog light sit for a day and a half prior to installation to make sure the films were on good.

I put the fog lights on the car and drove the car for about 2 weeks. I then noticed that not one, but BOTH of my fog lights were cracked again (who knows, it could have happened the day I installed them, but I noticed the damage after about 2 weeks). Those films? Yeah, they didn't do jack ****.

I emailed the company and made my case that I 1) wanted them to pay for new fog lights or 2) give me a full refund. I got neither. What they wanted to do was send me new films. So what? I could put them on busted fog lights? What the hell is the point of that? They wouldn't budge, and I believe I was MORE than civil with them seeing as I was the one being shafted here by a BS warranty policy. Their product clearly did not do what it was intended for. What other warranty proof do I need? I even sent them like 5 high-res pictures.

I told them I'd post this on every forum I could. Here it is. Stay away from that company. Their product is useless, and for $80 I expected something good. Now I'm out $120 (cost of fogs), and $80 (cost of films which are completely useless). My fogs aren't even 3 months old.

Learn from my mistake.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM
The Golden One

Here is pics of the fogs with the film installed:

Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM
The Golden One

Here is their last reply to my email:

Originally Posted by Lamin-X
How about telling Nissan to make a better fog light. Did you do that?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ive used their products in hopes of protecting my fog lights in my 5.5. I also put the film on my headlights at the same time. Install was simple enough and 3 years later, headlights still look good. Foglights are another story. Both eventually cracked, but i think it may have been a combination of two things. One, I had PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs installed and they seemed to burn a bit hotter than stock bulbs. I assumed they just got too hot, causing the glass to break. I tried the 40 and the 20 mil, same results on both. Good luck with it. I eventually took my film off since it was turning brown from the bulbs discoloring the film. Ive had pretty good luck with keeping water out of my cracked lens covered in film.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 AM
The Golden One

Oh well.

Just be weary people.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Here is their last reply to my email:
Thanx for the heads up.Personally though, i wudda just lived with the cracked headlights from the start.Mine cracked after tinting them yellow, but the tint holds it in place, and they still going strong till this day.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 AM
The Golden One

I still have them on.

The last reply I got from them was that it might have been due to temperature 'shock'. The lights could have gotten some water on em or something that rapidly cooled the lights, causing the crack. It is odd that it was both of them around the same time, so that may be it. But, I've had other sets which last way more than 2 weeks. I'm wondering if this film contributed to the shock since the film in a way absorbs water (when you install it, you spray onto both sides of the film while installing).

Oh well. They refunded me $14.95 cause I gave them a hard enough time. At least I got something.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

F-that. You're still out 65.00. Goto online to the BBB.org. File a complaint there. Guarantee that they will pay up. It will only take 10 min of your time. The BBB will do the rest. Trust me. I've gotten my money back all the time!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 AM

So sorry to hear that happened its total BS how these companies are all trying to pull the wool over our eyes.