Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Getting off REALLY stubborn brake dust on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Getting back to his roots

Getting off REALLY stubborn brake dust on wheels

I have a set of 17's, and the front two have some pretty serious brake dust on them. I tried a few brands of wheel cleaner, and I tried Simple Green Automotive (undiluted). Neither of them did the trick. What do you suggest? I was thinking perhaps oven cleaner might loosen the dust while not destroying the finish, but I am not sure. Any other tips you guys have to get the dust off? Thanks.

Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the design of the wheels even makes this possible (like simple 5 spokes or something), try using detailing clay on them.

If not or if that doesn't work, and you've already tried wheel cleaners (with a brush I hope), then the only thing left to do is try a polish of some sort. Something scratch remover strength or close should be a good place to start. I wouldn't try oven cleaner myself, because I don't know if that is compatible with the paint. I know it will dissolve enamel paint, so.....

Just glad these aren't your SSRs.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've used Black Magic wheel polish:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

Dunno where you can find it in the US.

Its a very fine fine abrasive compound. It won't damage the clearcoat at all. I've been using it for a couple years with great success.

CM.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:06 PM

the eagle one wheel and tire cleaner in orange bottle does some serious stuff...cleans a lot of brake dust off the tires/wheels
Old 07-10-2004, 10:28 AM

Agreed Eagle One A2Z

Originally Posted by Steve5891
the eagle one wheel and tire cleaner in orange bottle does some serious stuff...cleans a lot of brake dust off the tires/wheels
I too recommend Eagle One, A2Z - its in a bright orange bottle.
I had some crazy caked on near the spoke corners. Over 2 years worth. Just be careful, please use rubber gloves, because its acid based to take the brake dust off. It worked like a charm.

Good luck,
Anthony
Old 07-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by gxe2se
I had some crazy caked on near the spoke corners. Over 2 years worth. Just be careful, please use rubber gloves, because its acid based to take the brake dust off. It worked like a charm.

Good luck,
Anthony

Well, this is the wheel cleaner I used:

http://www.greased-lightning.com/products/obwheel.html

You really think that the Eagle One is much better than the orange blast? The only reason I ask is that the eagle one is pretty expensive, as wheel cleaners go. I am gonna try engine degreaser first. We'll see.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Well, this is the wheel cleaner I used:

http://www.greased-lightning.com/products/obwheel.html

You really think that the Eagle One is much better than the orange blast? The only reason I ask is that the eagle one is pretty expensive, as wheel cleaners go. I am gonna try engine degreaser first. We'll see.
Actually, I use that wheel cleaner more than I do A2Z these days because it's nearly as strong (not quite though) but it's cheaper and bigger. Still, if it's not coming off with some light rubbing with the Greased Lightning Wheel Cleaner (not the degreaser) then A2Z is unlikely to do the trick either.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by gxe2se

Good luck,
Anthony

I thought A2Z wasnt acid based.... or am I wrong??

-Steve
Old 07-11-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
I thought A2Z wasnt acid based.... or am I wrong??

-Steve
You are right, A2Z is now highly alkaline. It was reformulated a few years ago ever since they switched to the clear orange bottles.

Not that it matters, because many (if not most) wheel cleaners are still "acid based" even though they are not any more dangerous than A2Z to use if misused. People tend to get really worried about "acid wheel cleaners", but the truth is you should treat 99% of all wheel cleaning products out there with caution every time you use them. Acidic or basic, they WILL cause damage if you let them sit too long or dry out.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:59 AM

Where is the brake dust accumulating? In the cracks and crevases or on the flat wheel surfaces. Also are the wheels textured (peened, etc.) or are they smooth (like most rims and/or their face surfaces)? Using most wheel cleaners either acidic or basic will loosen up most of the brake dust and washing the wheels with a mitt, car wash and water will take off the remanents. However, if the dust buildup has been caked on for awhile and the wheel is textured, try using a "soft" bristled toothbrush or a paintbrush to gently scrub the wheels. In most cases (not all), this will remove most of the dust buildup without scratching the rim. I DO NOT recommend the toothbrush/paintbrush technique on polished or chrome rims, but painted and clearcoated alloys are usually okay. It may take a little elbow grease to remove the dust buildup and a good amount of cleaner, but just remember not to let the cleaner dry too long on the wheels. Basic cleaners are usually safer to work with, but like Bman said, treat them ALL as CHEMICALS.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:21 PM

I sometimes use bug and tar removers, seems to work well with break dust. that or lots of soap, water and elbow grease. once you have those rims cleaned apply some wax. it helps repel the break dust. it also helps if you can get your hands between the spokes.