Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Using a clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Using a clay bar?

So I decided to ball out at Autozone yesterday and detail my 07 for the first time. I picked up Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit and Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax.

Excellent results! The Maxima is looking smooth!

But this was my first time using a clay bar and I'm not sure that I used it correctly. It came with the Quick Detail spray to use as a lubricant. How much of this should you use as your rubbing the clay bar? I used A LOT. It was as if that clay bar was a hockey puck on an air hockey table. I just glided it across the paint back and forth over the area I was working on, then wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. Are you supposed to use this much? It didn't seem like the clay bar was doing much, but that detail spray sure left a silky smooth finish. It could just be that there just wasn't much dirt to remove because the paint job is so new.

But anyway here are some pics I snapped today while I was doing the interior... Go SKINS tomorrow!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=536783
Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ladams02
So I decided to ball out at Autozone yesterday and detail my 07 for the first time. I picked up Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit and Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax.

Excellent results! The Maxima is looking smooth!

But this was my first time using a clay bar and I'm not sure that I used it correctly. It came with the Quick Detail spray to use as a lubricant. How much of this should you use as your rubbing the clay bar? I used A LOT. It was as if that clay bar was a hockey puck on an air hockey table. I just glided it across the paint back and forth over the area I was working on, then wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. Are you supposed to use this much? It didn't seem like the clay bar was doing much, but that detail spray sure left a silky smooth finish. It could just be that there just wasn't much dirt to remove because the paint job is so new.

But anyway here are some pics I snapped today while I was doing the interior... Go SKINS tomorrow!
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=536783
EXACTLY! You should have felt the area before and after the clay to see if it actually made a difference.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 PM

Well there's no question the surface is sooo smooth after I used the clay bar. But I'm wondering how much of that was the clay bar and how much was the detail spray? I've used that stuff before with a cloth and it leaves a real smooth surface. But either way I like the piece of mind knowing that I thoroughly cleaned the surface before applying the wax. Couldn't be happier with the final results.

I guess my question is this, is the clay bar supposed to glide very smoothly across the surface? It was either very smooth where well lubricated, or if I hit a dry spot it would quickly catch and stop on a dime. I think I'm kind of answering my own question, but just want to confirm. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally Posted by ladams02
Well there's no question the surface is sooo smooth after I used the clay bar. But I'm wondering how much of that was the clay bar and how much was the detail spray? I've used that stuff before with a cloth and it leaves a real smooth surface. But either way I like the piece of mind knowing that I thoroughly cleaned the surface before applying the wax. Couldn't be happier with the final results.

I guess my question is this, is the clay bar supposed to glide very smoothly across the surface? It was either very smooth where well lubricated, or if I hit a dry spot it would quickly catch and stop on a dime. I think I'm kind of answering my own question, but just want to confirm. Thanks.
it was 0% Quick Detailer, 100% Clay

the detailer only acts like a lubricant to keep the clay from damaging the paint, and you dont need to use allot, just mist the area well and as long as the clay glides you're good

now imagine how much better you're car would look if you machine polished it
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheKrazyRaven
it was 0% Quick Detailer, 100% Clay

the detailer only acts like a lubricant to keep the clay from damaging the paint, and you dont need to use allot, just mist the area well and as long as the clay glides you're good

now imagine how much better you're car would look if you machine polished it
I'm sure a machine polish would look amazing, but it's hard to imagine anything looking better than the way it looks now. Absolutely beautiful! I can't wait till the spring so I can wax it again!

In my experience it took a lot of that spray to keep the clay gliding smoothly. I sprayed the car several times in the area I was working with and then also sprayed the clay itself once many times.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM

When I clay cars, I use the quick detailer a lot, if the surface is too dry the clay can scratch the paint. I usually use a light cut clay unless the surface is really that bad... Oh yeah when the clay gets dirty make sure to work the dirt out, like spray quick detailer on it and rub it out or smash it into a ball ect.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 AM

Claybar does make the paint feel like it has been polished...id probably claybar my car 1 every 3 mos.