Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

UDM, Menzerna IP and Ultima product review

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Lightly modded

UDM, Menzerna IP and Ultima product review

Well I've used the Ultimate Detailing Machine on a few cars now and I think I've got the hang of it. Along with the UDM I purchased some Menzerna IP, Ultima Paint Prep Plus (cleaner/light polish) and Ultima Paint Guard Plus (sealant). While I haven't been able to do an entire car with the IP, I like the results I've gotten so far. BTW, I also bought a 10'x10' tent and a halogen light to ease the work.

I'm still learning how to properly photograph my progress, so bear with the blurry photos. All photos were taken after polish, but before wax. The problem I run into most is that by the time I'm done detailing it's already dark out and getting good pics is really hard.

Here's my work on a red Honda Pilot. I only had time to use the Ultima PPP (cleaner/light polish).
Before

After

Before

After
Old 10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Lightly modded

Before

After

After

Here's what I was able to do with a little Menzerna IP on a 97 green Acura TL:
Before

Before
Old 10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Lightly modded

Before

After

After

Granted, the after pics don't really capture how great it looks, but suffice to say that I love the UDM and IP.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Lightly modded

I guess nobody is impressed
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
OG and counting...

Those are some outstanding results with the UDM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM

hey wow thats cool..... awesome results. did you use a rotary? <might be a dumb question but idk much about detailing yet..
Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by seby86
hey wow thats cool..... awesome results. did you use a rotary? <might be a dumb question but idk much about detailing yet..
The UDM is a orbital, not a rotary. Keep in mind I only used the PPP on the Pilot, and the Menzerna plus PPP on the Acura....I really want to try out the IP on a black car....

Prinz, what method do you use for taking good before/after pics?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
The UDM is a orbital, not a rotary. Keep in mind I only used the PPP on the Pilot, and the Menzerna plus PPP on the Acura....I really want to try out the IP on a black car....

Prinz, what method do you use for taking good before/after pics?
oooooh, i get it, i think... haha. i may not be good with that, but i can suggest certain photography techniques. firstly, illuminate the area, but do not catch the reflection of the actual lights themselves.. point the camera at more of an angle so that you cant see the reflection of the lights. then if possible, set your camera to a slower shutter speed and try sitting it on a small step ladder or stool or somewhere stationary other than your hands ( your hands shake and can cause blurryness). in low light conditions you may need to set your aperture to a wider setting so that your camera can absorb all the possible light. it really depends on the camera and you have to play with it a little bit.. but for starters the relfection of the shop lights is what throws off the detail alittle bit... like i said, i get great results when i use a tripod or if you dont have a tripod, sit your camera on something stationary that doesnt move....thats just with my camera, but like i said..yours may be diff and u may have to play around with it.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Nice work 95, I've got the UDM also. I also purchased some Menzerna Power Gloss. A bit more aggressive than the IP, but finishes well enough for a LSP.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Nice work 95, I've got the UDM also. I also purchased some Menzerna Power Gloss. A bit more aggressive than the IP, but finishes well enough for a LSP.
You really just go from the PG to your wax/sealant?
Since I don't have the PG yet I was thinking about using the white (harshest) pad for the UDM on the really tough spots. Will I have to worry about doing any damage by using it? I doubt it, but ya never know...

-Nick
Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

You really just go from the PG to your wax/sealant?
Since I don't have the PG yet I was thinking about using the white (harshest) pad for the UDM on the really tough spots. Will I have to worry about doing any damage by using it? I doubt it, but ya never know...

-Nick
Yup. I did my wife's 96 Camry (burgundy color). I used PG with an orange pad, and there was no hazing or holograms. Went right to Klasse AIO. I was surprised too, that the PG came out so well.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

The Power Gloss is a great product and nothing to be scared of, especially since your using it with the UDM. Go get yourself a bottle and add it to your arsenal for those really tough spots that the IP can't completely get out.

Excellent job btw, cars came out great.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Yup. I did my wife's 96 Camry (burgundy color). I used PG with an orange pad, and there was no hazing or holograms. Went right to Klasse AIO. I was surprised too, that the PG came out so well.
Is this the orange pad that goes with the UDM? The second strongest pad? Why use that pad with the PG instead of the strongest white pad?

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Is this the orange pad that goes with the UDM? The second strongest pad? Why use that pad with the PG instead of the strongest white pad?

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Nope. I don't have the pads specific for the UDM. Most of mine are the Lake Country brand. I believe their Yellow pas is the most abrasive. All the white pads I have are 'polishing' pads. They have only mild cutting power.

And I took another look at the Camry. There was a bit of hazing from the original PG/orange pad combination. I had to use a finer polish on 2 panels. Next time, I'll try the PG with the white pad.