Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Quit smoking.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Quit smoking.

I recently quit smoking maybe 2 weeks now. I was wondering is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell of cigarettes? I wiped down all the leather seats, dash, and panels with warm water and soap. Is there anything else I can do to make the smell better?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mistertones
I recently quit smoking maybe 2 weeks now. I was wondering is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell of cigarettes? I wiped down all the leather seats, dash, and panels with warm water and soap. Is there anything else I can do to make the smell better?
Turtle wax oxy carpet cleaner-
clean the carpet with it. basically everything cloth needs to be cleaned well, just blot out the cleaner(with a terry cloth) on the softer materials, especially the head liner, (since thats where the smoke collected too).

OZIUM air sanitizer-
new car smell, works well (just dont over spray,instead spray small amounts often,and a good amount at night when the car sits.

Clean all your glass, with a ammonia free glass cleaner(auto windex or better, that foam window cleaner in the blue steal can.

Last edited by TomZ; 12-17-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 PM

oh sweet, thanks for the tips. I will attempt all this when it warms up. It's about to snow 15 inches here. Any tips on how to get the smell out of my vents? I don't know why, but every time I turn on my AC/Heat, its smells like smoke.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Best thing for vents is to spray with Lysol disinfectant. I prefer the "Linen" but the "Mountain fresh" ( I think) is OK too.
Proceed as follows: 1) get engine to running temp. 2)turn Heat to full (32 if Auto) and selector to feet 1st, then cycle thru all including defrost while spraying Lysol into Air intake below driver's side Windshield wiper (outside of car). I generally use about 1/2 can, then repeat a week or so later. Only cost $3-4, and would be good on upholstery like headliner and carpet, after you shampoo them as stated by TomZ. Most of the smell will go away in a few weeks anyway, but this makes sure that sunny days don't 'bring back the memories'.
BTW, congrats on quitting, I've been off for 10 months now after 45 years.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Congratulations dude. Not an easy task and I applaud your efforts and hope that you never touch a cigarette again. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes you can detail your car and that will help a lot. The best thing to do is to take it to a car lot and they can deionize the car. The only down side is that on a hot day the smell may come back.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 AM

Throw your ashtray out because you obviously used it if your car smells like cigarettes.

I'm gonna go enjoy myself a Camel.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Throw your ashtray out because you obviously used it if your car smells like cigarettes.

I'm gonna go enjoy myself a Camel.

OP, see if you can find what's called an ozonator. It's what I used to clear up the air in my Max after I bought the car (someone had left an old gas can in the trunk, and the dealer tried to mask the smell with some nasty spray).

Ozonators/ozone machines generate ozone which will break down any odor-causing agents in the fabric in your car. If you can rent one, just set it in your car for about 45 minutes and let it do its work.

This part's important: make sure you leave your car to air out for about an hour afterward though, in order to allow all the ozone to break down. Ozone's extremely harmful to your respiratory system (I learned the hard way), but it'll degrade to oxygen in just a few minutes.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently bought a maxima that I love, but the previous owner smoked in the car. I am highly allergic to smoke, so I decided to use to product that I know removes smoke from cars, one was an orange cleaner that worked great, but the best thing is that I put in an ozone machine. I ran the ozone machine for a couple days, and there wasn't a trace of smoke smell left.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mistertones
I don't know why, but every time I turn on my AC/Heat, its smells like smoke.
Ozium does work good. The best bet to get the smell from your vents is to spray the Ozium for about 10-15 seconds worth inside the car with the recirc on, and fan speed on high. Let the car run (safely parked so no one will jump in and take off) for a good 15-20 minutes or so. Open the doors, or at least roll down the windows and open the sunroof (if equipped) and turn off the recirc and let it run drawing in fresh air (remember, recirc off at this point) that way for at least 5-10 minutes. You can then shut off the car and let the car sit for about 30 minutes or so to let it completely air out enough so the Ozium smell doesn't knock you out. If the smoke smell still lingers after a day or two, repeat the steps again. It's possible you might have to do it 2 or 3 times.

If you can find it, look for a product called Quick Fresh made by Wurth. We used alot of Wurth products at the car dealership I worked at, and they supplied our parts dept with zip ties, fasteners, nuts, bolts, washers, tire lube paste, lubricants, liquid gasket maker, etc. The downside is that it's expensive, but it will kill just about any odor out there. Wurth is a German product, so you can call around a few Audi, VW, BMW dealerships and ask if they carry it, and if they will sell you a can.

I used to detail cars, and clean and maintain our loaner fleet of cars at the dealer I used to work at. Even though there was a no smoking policy with our loaner cars, we still had customers that would smoke in them. I've cleaned countless numbers of cars with smoke, so give my method a try, it should work for you.

Last edited by T_Behr904; 11-11-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Use Vanilla Ozium (the new car smell is just nasty) and also put a box of baking soda in the car. Baking soda will absorb the odors that are already in there. Same principle as using it in the fridge. That will nix your odors sir.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM

good stuff, need to find some of these products
Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Get a new in-cabin filter from rock auto and get the Fram Fresh Air Cabin Filter. I just recently picked up a 08 Maxima, and the interior had a smell that made it you think all to be dayummmm. I also picked up some natures miracle, this can be found at Petco, Petsmart or any other pet store, it kills off the smell of pet odors without leaving any heavy scents or perfumes. It doesn't have any odor, but it kills off any unsightly odors.

Give those two a try in combination