Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

5.7 Gen 1st dyno run Baseline, STOCK 250 hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Well, I dunno, but just telling you my personal observations.

I know SR20DEN and 6Spd_Hayes both dynoed with a ported air box (~250)and stock airbox(non-ported) (247).

I just think the 3" + headers really make an intake a good thing, sort of compounding the effect.

I say torque is probably a combination of timing and EVT/IVT.

Hmm ok. We shall see. I'm progressing to the next steps.

#1 Tuning system
#2 back to dyno for baseline to check if things are better (not dyno tuned)
#3 injectors/ fuel pump
#4 intake system
#5 dyno adjustments for new parts, possibly some tuning
#6 full dyno tune or adjustments of parts
#7 hopefully close to my 300 whp goal

on a side note, i MIGHT have a slight exhaust leak i really cant tell. It might be the funky EVT. Thinking of pulling the headers and getting them coated anyway. Bay heat is quite hot.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Looks like big plans ahead

Next dyno, separate the coil wires and only clamp the black one when tapping the RPM signal
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Looks like big plans ahead

Next dyno, separate the coil wires and only clamp the black one when tapping the RPM signal

Ohh yeah!! haha its not going to be in the next week tho! Bout to jump back on the z ecu swap!

Oh ok is cylinder 2 ok? ill strip the harness and have the black wire out of it. For quicker rpm hookups! thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Ohh yeah!! haha its not going to be in the next week tho! Bout to jump back on the z ecu swap!

Oh ok is cylinder 2 ok? ill strip the harness and have the black wire out of it. For quicker rpm hookups! thanks!
Ya, doesn't matter which cyl. it is. And yup, my black wire is away from the bunch full time lately.

Reason being is because I noticed on the DRF, the loss of signal on the tq curve on a few runs, happens when you clamp all of the coil wires together for some reason.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Ya, doesn't matter which cyl. it is. And yup, my black wire is away from the bunch full time lately.

Reason being is because I noticed on the DRF, the loss of signal on the tq curve on a few runs, happens when you clamp all of the coil wires together for some reason.

Very good info! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Good stuff bro, CONGRATS. Can't wait to see how this progresses

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 09-19-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 PM

I'm a little surprised thats all the 7th gen engine produced but peraphs with the correct tune were all in for a real treat.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by MizzMaxine
I'm a little surprised thats all the 7th gen engine produced but peraphs with the correct tune were all in for a real treat.
hes gotta lotta factors to weed through. thats pretty much a baseline to start working issues and developing his tune from there. hell be much better with the cam timing issues sorted, and once he gets control on the other parameters.

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 09-19-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Mods:

2009 Maxima VQ35
75 mm tb
Plastic IM
Dual vias (hooked up to 02 ecu) as one
52mm intake ports
10.6:1 compression
09 stock cams
ARP rodbolts
Cattman GenIII Headers
Cattman 3” catback
Stock 02 ecu
Removed stock oil warmer
Stock airbox, k&n panel filter
I bet those dual vias aren't operating like you need them to. Your lowend/midrange should be absolutely beastly and even compared to the big custom IM I made, it's not looking too good.

Of course a good tune is going to help a lot too.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
Good stuff bro, contracts. Can't wait to see how this progresses
Thanks! me either!!!! this is the most fun of the whole build!!!

Originally Posted by MizzMaxine

Yeah i thought it would be more. This just proves the 02 ecu SUCKS. haha and i think EVT not hooked to anything is messing things up too

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
hes gotta lotta factors to weekd through. thats pretty much a baseline to start working issues and developing his tuene from there. hell be much better with the cam timing issues sorted, and once he gets control on the other parameters.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I bet those dual vias aren't operating like you need them to. Your lowend/midrange should be absolutely beastly and even compared to the big custom IM I made, it's not looking too good.

Of course a good tune is going to help a lot too.

Idk really, i still think its EVT thats throwing it all off.

Im planning to run the rev up ecu. And re dyno. See what a stock good ecu can do.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 PM

.............. i honestly dont know what to say............ good stuff, but i cant say that with the mods you have a 02-08 3.5 couldnt have pulled those times.... oh man
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
.............. i honestly dont know what to say............ good stuff, but i cant say that with the mods you have a 02-08 3.5 couldnt have pulled those times.... oh man

It is what it is. Its decent . But its not running right. So my plan is to get it running with EVT. And see get another baseline with it working. Hopefully itll look better!

Hope to be back at the dyno in a few weeks!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

It is what it is. Its decent . But its not running right. So my plan is to get it running with EVT. And see get another baseline with it working. Hopefully itll look better!

Hope to be back at the dyno in a few weeks!
goodluck bro man... upper 260's would be craaazy
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

goodluck bro man... upper 260's would be craaazy

Im sure with a intake id would do that at the least. Even with the funky EVT. Im trying to find a 3.5 intake and lr MAF my problem is the pcv hose that goes to the intake. No im not putting a breather on it.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Im sure with a intake id would do that at the least. Even with the funky EVT. Im trying to find a 3.5 intake and lr MAF my problem is the pcv hose that goes to the intake. No im not putting a breather on it.
I support this poast.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

I support this poast.
Help me find a 3.5 intake system with the pcv hose hookup!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM

eh... i guess.. i use a breather... didnt seem to be too much a problem but i dont blame you
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help me find a 3.5 intake system with the pcv hose hookup!
I drilled a hole in the pipe and used one of these. You can pick up a brass one at Homies if you need it asap.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-5953-C...4667693&sr=1-4

I cant remember what bit I used but drill it just a hair under and screw that bish in. The soft aluminum created threads on the spot. Sure it may create a little turbulence inside but dont thread it in very far. You can put some clear silicone around the outside if you are concerned about leaks (I didn't and don't have a leak).

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM

That's a good idea. I'm gonna take a look at doing that to my intake.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yep, that's all I did, sorta. I used a PVC barb and sealed it in the Lowe's hardware coupler vs drilling a hole in the Al tube, but, it's probably a better idea to do what Reizy did. More reliable.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Toolie

I think 250 untuned is excellent. My run with headers and no tune was only about 230/230. With full dyno tune we got that up to 254/249.

I'm sure with a proper tune and a good AFR you should easily get 270-280 at the wheels.

If you need an intake I do custom build them. Any length you need. Breather tube any size/length you need. I believe I have piping with a 90mm od and 3.0 wall which would make the ID 3.3" I will check what's available at work and get back to you. The hard part about a 3.5" id is that it will be hard to get couplers to fit the OD. A 90mm coupler is easy to find.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I think 250 untuned is excellent. My run with headers and no tune was only about 230/230. With full dyno tune we got that up to 254/249.

I'm sure with a proper tune and a good AFR you should easily get 270-280 at the wheels.

If you need an intake I do custom build them. Any length you need. Breather tube any size/length you need. I believe I have piping with a 90mm od and 3.0 wall which would make the ID 3.3" I will check what's available at work and get back to you. The hard part about a 3.5" id is that it will be hard to get couplers to fit the OD. A 90mm coupler is easy to find.

Yea the more i think about 250 untuned it does seem pretty good.

Cool id like something but its gotta be the 3.5 od pipe. Ive found it and couplers from siliconeintakes.com The only prob is the pcv hose. But ill use a barb fitting prolly.

I believe the 3.5 intake , along with lr maf, and v stack will be what this motor needs. But seeing its running lean now, im thinking its gonna really like some added fuel along with this intake.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Toolie

i'm going to check and see if I have any pipe with a 3.5 OD, and a thinner wall to increase the ID

BTY 90mm OD is 3.54 OD so if you are really picky I could machine 1" length at both ends down the extra .040 inches
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
i'm going to check and see if I have any pipe with a 3.5 OD, and a thinner wall to increase the ID

BTY 90mm OD is 3.54 OD so if you are really picky I could machine 1" length at both ends down the extra .040 inches

ohh sorry all the metric and standard crap is annoying.

If you can do a intake close to 3.5" with the MAf thing built in and the pcv built it then ill def buy it.

I just got the wrong size lr maf and i need to return it anyway.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:38 AM

Yea the more i think about 250 untuned it does seem pretty good.

Cool id like something but its gotta be the 3.5 od pipe. Ive found it and couplers from siliconeintakes.com The only prob is the pcv hose. But ill use a barb fitting prolly.
Why don't you just get 2 breather filters, put them on both valve covers and delete the hoses?? then you wont have to drill holes in the intake. JIME said he has been running his maxima like that for years and no problems...I also seen SPARKS had breather filters on too....unless you concerned about the gases going into the environment?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Why don't you just get 2 breather filters, put them on both valve covers and delete the hoses?? then you wont have to drill holes in the intake. JIME said he has been running his maxima like that for years and no problems...I also seen SPARKS had breather filters on too....unless you concerned about the gases going into the environment?

Yeah ive been thinking about something like this. Idk if its just simple as putting 2 breathers on the pcv, front and rear tho. Ill have to lookinto it!

Thats a nice pnp utec you have in your sig!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Yeah ive been thinking about something like this. Idk if its just simple as putting 2 breathers on the pcv, front and rear tho. Ill have to lookinto it!

Thats a nice pnp utec you have in your sig!!!
I looked at it and it looks like the one on the front you can just delete the hose and use the intake tubing and put a breather on the front valve cover. The one in the rear looks like you can put a breather on the rear...but you would have to cap the hose connection to the IM. I know when I put my BOP on it was ashame how much oil was just sitting there in the IM. I don't know if the new VQ engine is the same...but that is how the 02 is.

PS: Yeh...nice PnP UTEC......you did a sweet job on that man!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I looked at it and it looks like the one on the front you can just delete the hose and use the intake tubing and put a breather on the front valve cover. The one in the rear looks like you can put a breather on the rear...but you would have to cap the hose connection to the IM. I know when I put my BOP on it was ashame how much oil was just sitting there in the IM. I don't know if the new VQ engine is the same...but that is how the 02 is.

PS: Yeh...nice PnP UTEC......you did a sweet job on that man!!!

Oh ok, i knew the front hose could simply be replaced with a breather. (problem is on the 09 valve cover the hose is towards the middle, not on the end like the 02)

But the PCV valve it self can have a little breather on it also? id cap the IM port ofcourse. But i didnt know it was that easy. hmmmm

I think the 09 had a VERY small amount of oil in the IM from the pcv. its natural i think.

Thanks!! Post up a dyno thread when your tuned!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM

McGrath City Hyundai
At McGrath Hyundai, We Have Your Nissan Maxima

In Stock Xilinx & Altera
Large volume of FPGAs, ASICs, and PLDs in Stock. Quality Guaranteed!

$179.99 SuperCharger Kit
+80HP Intake Superchargers Easy to Install. Lifetime Warranty

Thats what you need at the end right there ^^^^^

J/K subscribed for results! Good luck!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^^ wat??

haha
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Oh ok, i knew the front hose could simply be replaced with a breather. (problem is on the 09 valve cover the hose is towards the middle, not on the end like the 02)

But the PCV valve it self can have a little breather on it also? id cap the IM port ofcourse. But i didnt know it was that easy. hmmmm
FWIW I have the crossover tube and a breather on both new '05 valve covers. I punched out the PCV valve so it was open, then clamped a breather filter on both valve covers. It's been that way for a few months. I got very tired of oil in the IMs, so when I converted to the 08 Altima IMs, I did dual breathers.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM

^^ wat??

haha
While I was looking at your thread those ads were at the bottom so I guess the answer to all your problems was the 179.99 supercharger

In all honesty though I think your dyno numbers are really good! think about it the motor is rated at 290 hp and you were able to put down 250 whp with no tune, using your 02 ecu, vias connections screwed up, etc. With a couple adjustments and tune you'll probably be around 290 at the wheels.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by grey99max
FWIW I have the crossover tube and a breather on both new '05 valve covers. I punched out the PCV valve so it was open, then clamped a breather filter on both valve covers. It's been that way for a few months. I got very tired of oil in the IMs, so when I converted to the 08 Altima IMs, I did dual breathers.

OK cool sounds like this is the route ima go! Maybe there is a little power in this also? idk

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
While I was looking at your thread those ads were at the bottom so I guess the answer to all your problems was the 179.99 supercharger

In all honesty though I think your dyno numbers are really good! think about it the motor is rated at 290 hp and you were able to put down 250 whp with no tune, using your 02 ecu, vias connections screwed up, etc. With a couple adjustments and tune you'll probably be around 290 at the wheels.

ohhh ok haahh

Yeah im hoping to have all that sorted out very soon, hopefully this intake will really have a good hp gain!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

McGrath City Hyundai
At McGrath Hyundai, We Have Your Nissan Maxima

In Stock Xilinx & Altera
Large volume of FPGAs, ASICs, and PLDs in Stock. Quality Guaranteed!

$179.99 SuperCharger Kit
+80HP Intake Superchargers Easy to Install. Lifetime Warranty

Thats what you need at the end right there ^^^^^

J/K subscribed for results! Good luck!
Wow...I had to take a look....Sad thing is I bet someone here bought one of these for their Nissan Maxima SPORTS CAR! lol

Buy Nissan Maxima Electric Supercharger Bolt-On Kit

Even though it was produced from 1976 to date, the Nissan Maxima sport car remains the best. This can be seen only when it’s upgraded by the outstanding Nissan Maxima supercharger from our shops. All the speed and engine performance that you need are all in our unique selection of supercharger kit and the bolt on supercharger. So why remain worried if you could see your engine’s horse power increase with over 80hp and the torque rising intensively only with the Nissan Maxima electric superchargers. Our prices are the least in the shops and every time you purchase from us, more is left for your savings. Your excellent drive is our joy, saving fuel is our dream and saving time and money is our best profit. Make an order we ship it to you where your are waiting for it. Installation has been simplified by our installation manual, never be worried. It will take you only 30 minutes or less to have it completely in your engine.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM

i thought he had intake headers n exhaust???
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i thought he had intake headers n exhaust???
na

stock intake k&n filter, "gab mod"

headers, high flow cat, 3"
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM

mmk... sounds about right for a regular 3.5 swap.... with a 2.5" catback ppl are maing mid 240's so i can see 250 with a 3"... cant wait til u fix the issues.. with your mods i was kinda expecting 260's maybe low 270's
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

mmk... sounds about right for a regular 3.5 swap.... with a 2.5" catback ppl are maing mid 240's so i can see 250 with a 3"... cant wait til u fix the issues.. with your mods i was kinda expecting 260's maybe low 270's

Remember that im on a stock intake, just with K&N filter and "gab" mod. Also my ECU pulled timing like crazy.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Remember that im on a stock intake, just with K&N filter and "gab" mod. Also my ECU pulled timing like crazy.
well even with a filter the is still similar gains to a short ram... now as far as the ECU retarding its times, thats no good, thats why i cant wait til thats fixed
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

When you getting that Haltech??

Quick Reply: 5.7 Gen 1st dyno run Baseline, STOCK 250 hp