Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:00 PM

Engine Oil

Great website. Essential for Maxima owners and enthusiasts. I recently purchased my first car here in the United States. Went through a long process deciding which is the one. G35, TSX and Accord (I must be ill then) were all on my list but ultimately ended up with my frost white Maxima SE.
Just wanted to know what you guys think about which engine oil is best for the Max. I usually go for Mobil One, but have heard good things bout Shell. Please let me know if you guys have experience with other brands. Thanks.

FatCrab
Old 09-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by TurboFatCrab
Great website. Essential for Maxima owners and enthusiasts. I recently purchased my first car here in the United States. Went through a long process deciding which is the one. G35, TSX and Accord (I must be ill then) were all on my list but ultimately ended up with my frost white Maxima SE.
Just wanted to know what you guys think about which engine oil is best for the Max. I usually go for Mobil One, but have heard good things bout Shell. Please let me know if you guys have experience with other brands. Thanks. FatCrab
With a new vehicle, you need to break the engine in on conventional motor oil before you go to a synthetic. I did not consider my new Maxima's engine to be broken in until it stopped burning oil (the rings seated) at about 4,000 miles. I was on a trip at that time (changed the original oil to Castrol GTX at 2,000 miles just before the trip), and changed to synthetic (Mobil 1) at 7,000 miles. Synthetic is great, once you have the engine properly broken in on conventional oil.

You should check out all of the information in the section of Fluids and Lubricants on this site. (Go to the Home page and scroll down to this section's listing. Or go to this site -- he seems to have good insite on both motor oil and filters.)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=227996
Old 09-15-2003, 02:33 AM

Welcome aboard. I second what SilverMax_04 said.

You can also download the oil analysis spreadsheet here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=100060 These are real-life results from various oils in our (and other) cars. This way you can make a more informed decision and know what to expect from whatever oil/change interval you use.

Another good site is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ You can check the forums there, and the main board has some excellent reading. Probably more info there than I'd ever need to know.

Also check the stickies at the top of this forum's page. There's good info there, including breaking in your new VQ35!

Dave