Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Mechanic told me NOT to change the trans. oil...does this sound crazy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:10 AM

Mechanic told me NOT to change the trans. oil...does this sound crazy??

Have a 96 I30 with 110k. Called a local mechanic with concerns that my auto. trans. is shifting somewhat hard between gears, especially on the downshift between 1st and 2nd. Trans. fluid is red and at proper level. He said that he's repaired "tons" of maxima transmissions in the past year and that changing the fluid would probably make the shIfting worse. He recommended to simply drive it the way it is.

Does this sound right, or is this guy crazy?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by USRacer900
Have a 96 I30 with 110k. Called a local mechanic with concerns that my auto. trans. is shifting somewhat hard between gears, especially on the downshift between 1st and 2nd. Trans. fluid is red and at proper level. He said that he's repaired "tons" of maxima transmissions in the past year and that changing the fluid would probably make the shIfting worse. He recommended to simply drive it the way it is.

he sounds half crazy to me.. his point was valid on the mazda 626, but I dont think our trannys.. ?? anyone else
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 AM

This may so sound odd but your mechanic is right. By changing the fluid you will only "shock" the tranny. By shock I mean that your tranny has gotten so a custom to the old fluid that the new fluid may cause it to act even worse. If your current fluid is nice and clear with a hint of pink and it does not smell like its burning I dont think changing the fluid will make a difference. I would say take it to a tranny shop and they will be able to diagnose the problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Max4U
This may so sound odd but your mechanic is right. By changing the fluid you will only "shock" the tranny. By shock I mean that your tranny has gotten so a custom to the old fluid that the new fluid may cause it to act even worse. If your current fluid is nice and clear with a hint of pink and it does not smell like its burning I dont think changing the fluid will make a difference. I would say take it to a tranny shop and they will be able to diagnose the problem.

wow. I thought for sure this guy was crazy.....I'll take it in to have it looked at. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:54 AM

Just go to jiffy lube...or a similar place.......

You can change your tranny fluid, but you jut cant thrash it hard for a while afterwards....
Old 10-28-2003, 09:53 AM

As soon as i changed fluid in my old altima auto the tranny got even worse, your mechanic is right
Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hard shifting might indicate a problem with the valve body.

Changing fluid only keeps things lubricated well and can keep problems from occuring in the first place. Changing fluid doesn't fix pre-existing problems.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:53 PM

Believe it or not he's right. If the fluid has not been changed on a regular basis and then you change it at higher miles the possibility exsists that the transmission will start to leak. Why? the new fluid additives will dissolve the crud that built up around the gaskets and seals over the years and it'll start leaking....he is not crazy.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:21 AM

This topic never ceases to amaze me!

You have a transmission that is starting to shift hard from lack of regular maintenance. People are afraid to change the fluid because it might create a problem. The problem already exists! By shifting hard, the transmission is entering the beginning stages of a failure mode. By not changing the fluid, you are only delaying the inevitable, you are not solving anything. Granted, it might last several thousand miles, even 10's of thousands, but you're still going down the road to a complete failure.

It's simply mind boggling that people will destroy a several thousand dollar transmission because they won't spend $60 here and there to replace the fluid.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:36 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Yeah, I've never understood the mechanic's stance on this either. Modern, tighter-tolerance transmissions are going to benefit from fresher fluid.......

It's another one of those "it may have been true 20 years ago, but....."
Old 10-29-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by iwannabmw
This topic never ceases to amaze me!

You have a transmission that is starting to shift hard from lack of regular maintenance. People are afraid to change the fluid because it might create a problem. The problem already exists! By shifting hard, the transmission is entering the beginning stages of a failure mode. By not changing the fluid, you are only delaying the inevitable, you are not solving anything. Granted, it might last several thousand miles, even 10's of thousands, but you're still going down the road to a complete failure.

It's simply mind boggling that people will destroy a several thousand dollar transmission because they won't spend $60 here and there to replace the fluid.
So are you suggesting to change the trans. oil?? (it's amazing how difficult it is to get a straight answer in here)

FYI: The trans. oil was changed at 60k by the dealer. I took over ownership at 75K and now it is approaching 120K. Car has always been regularly maintained and I change the oil myself every 3K. All transmissions are on their way to a complete failure, it's just a matter of time. I am trying to rectify the problem before it fails completely, hence the question I posted earlier.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:26 AM

So are you suggesting to change the trans. oil?? (it's amazing how difficult it is to get a straight answer in here)

FYI: The trans. oil was changed at 60k by the dealer. I took over ownership at 75K and now it is approaching 120K. All transmissions are on their way to a complete failure, it's just a matter of time. I am trying to rectify the problem before it fails completely, hence the question I posted earlier.
Yes. Change the ATF. If you have been doing regular maintenance, why didn't you change the ATF at 30,000 miles intervals? (the useful life of conventional ATF)

Drain the fluid; 4 or 5 quarts will come out of the pan. Refill the 4 to 5 quarts. Add this stuff, it works and is not snake oil. http://www.auto-rx.net Follow the instructions from the auto-rx transmission treatment website. After going the mileage required, drain the fluid and drop the pan and replace the filter screen.

A much cheaper alternative to rebuilding your transmission.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:23 PM

"First off, stay away from the quickie lube shops! Find an independent shop not associated with a chain.

Second, what is the condition of the old fluid? If it is thick, black, gunky looking and has a strong burned smell to it, you may have problems with new fluid.

Transmission fluid has a very high detergent level. If your old fluid is really bad, the new fluid will clean out all the old build-up around the seals and gaskets and may soon start to leak. Particles of this build-up now floating around could get into the valve body and cause shifting problems. The new fluid will react with the old brittle clutch material and cause them to flake.

My suggestion is to pull the pan, check for any foreign matter in the pan and filter. If there is none, then change the fluid including the torque converter. If there is a lot of trash in the pan, you are probably near a rebuild. Just button it up with a new filter and pan gasket, fill it to the proper level, and run 'til it gives you problems."

The above is a quote of many discussions on this topic on the web. The point is, if it already is shifting hard the damage is already done. The detergents in the new fluid with dislodge the crap, make it leak and clog the passages- POSSIBLY making it fail faster......
Old 10-29-2003, 07:11 PM

All transmissions are on their way to a complete failure, it's just a matter of time.
Very true, my philosophy is to maintain the transmission in such a way so that the failure occurs well after I sell the car. I have one car right now with 175k on the original automatic and it shows no signs of giving up. A well maintained transmission will last much longer than we're going to want to drive these cars.

As for as your particular maintenance history, after knowing the replacement intervals I wouldn't go so far as to say it was majorly neglected. There are tons of people who go much longer. I would change the fluid at this time.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:36 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally Posted by iwannabmw
I would change the fluid at this time.

So would I. Change the fluid.