Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Has anyone tried the Motive Power Bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:32 PM

Has anyone tried the Motive Power Bleeder?

just wondering if anyone tried this. http://www.motiveproducts.com/

seems good. gets good reviews from the bmw and porsche guys. anyone see why it wouldnt' work for our cars? it goes for about $50 or so on various websites. seems like a better alternative then speedbleeders since it can be used with more then just one car if you just have the right adapter.

TJ
Old 05-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, I bought one a couple years ago and tried it, but couldn't get it to work on the Max...I had to send it back (and the company gladly refunded the money). The European cars have a threaded cap and master cylinder reservoir that allows the cap from the bleeder to tighten down on it and provide a good seal...the good seal allows you to pressurize the master cylinder reservoir and push the old fluid out through the bleed nipples at each wheel. I bought an extra master cylinder cap for the Max, drilled a hole in it, installed a brass fitting and sealed it up good with silicone seal...I then connected the hose from the bleeder tool to the brass fitting. I ran into problems as our OEM caps don't seal completely...when I pressurized the master cylinder reservoir with the bleeder tool, all the air leaked out from around the cap. I even tried an extra gasket, but that made the cap way too tight and I didn't want to strip anything. I think the company now offers a universal cap that you can somehow attach to the bottom of the reservoir with small chanins and "s" hooks. I looked at it, but the size could be a problem. I just went back to the traditoinal method of bleeding brakes.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

I build one or two myself. Not hard but as talking horse mentioned, getting a good air tight seal around the large mc cap is near impossible. I made that worked well for a few times, then it started leaking. When it leaks, it spills fluid out and over the mc. Not good and very messy.

I made mine a few years ago. Theory is good but getting a good cap made is difficult. I even reinforced the inside of the cap with thin sheetmetal and used some gasket material. No luck. The thin plastic cap flexes too much. If I could make a simple metal cap that had threaded holders on each side, I could get it to seal.

Here's my thread from 2001
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=64046

Originally Posted by teejnut
just wondering if anyone tried this. http://www.motiveproducts.com/

seems good. gets good reviews from the bmw and porsche guys. anyone see why it wouldnt' work for our cars? it goes for about $50 or so on various websites. seems like a better alternative then speedbleeders since it can be used with more then just one car if you just have the right adapter.

TJ
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the reply guys! I guess I'll just keep using the traditional method of bleeding brakes.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Wild at Hurt

I use a Mityvac and that pulls it through ea individual nipple. But you can get tired of pumping the thing. So mostly i use a small electric vacuum compressor pulling it through a home made mason jar with 2 fittings on top. That has been the best and easiest way i have found.
like the idea of the other one though
Old 05-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mick Max
I use a Mityvac and that pulls it through ea individual nipple. But you can get tired of pumping the thing. So mostly i use a small electric vacuum compressor pulling it through a home made mason jar with 2 fittings on top. That has been the best and easiest way i have found.
like the idea of the other one though
This sounds like a great idea, but doesn't air leak in from around the bleed nipples when you loosen them? I once tried a Griot's Garage vacuum bleeder (the one that creates a vacuum by moving compressed air over a venturi)...it was a quality tool, but I found that when I loosened the bleed nipples, air got sucked in from around the threads and small air bubbles appeared in the clear tubing i used for bleeding...I know where the air was coming from, but it was a little disconcerting just the same.

The Motive Products concept of forcing the fluid through the system, versus drawing it through with a vacuum device, is great...if only we could seal our reservoirs so it would work.