Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Few questions about switching to synthetic...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 09:56 AM
VIP Maxima

Few questions about switching to synthetic...

im going to switch to mobil1 5w30 supersyn. is there anything special we need to do when switching from regular to synthec?? im askin this because people use the term "switching" which confuses me. is the engine suppose to be under a specific amount of mileage before u can switch? is there anything i should worry about or know? i've heard about gaskets leaking and stuff. or do we simply dump the garabe and put in the good stuff?

Old 05-07-2004, 03:29 PM

If the cars been neglected oil change wise, a flush might be in order. If not, just switch. Don't really extend the drain interval on the first run of synthetic.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
im going to switch to mobil1 5w30 supersyn. is there anything special we need to do when switching from regular to synthec?? im askin this because people use the term "switching" which confuses me. is the engine suppose to be under a specific amount of mileage before u can switch? is there anything i should worry about or know? i've heard about gaskets leaking and stuff. or do we simply dump the garabe and put in the good stuff?
Many folks, including me, have successfully "switched" engines to synthetics with over 100K on them. There is no magic number of miles that you need to be concerned about. Your decision to switch should be based on the mechanical condition of the engine and whether or not it has been properly maintained up til now. Name-brand synthetics will not cause gaskets/seals to leak, but if the engine is extremely dirty (or if you currently have a faulty seal) the increased detergency of the synthetic could clean false seals created by the build-up of deposits. Bottom line is that if the vehicle is in good mechanical condition, has been properly maintained and is not leaking, you should be good to go. As iwannabmw advises, recommend you change your first (synthetic) fill at the normal service interval...the oil will clean some of the earlier deposits left by the petroleum oil and you would be best to get that crud out of there.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:54 AM
VIP Maxima

alright, thanks for the info fellas.

my engine is in perfect working condition with only 55k miles on it. i always change the oil every 2500 miles using the regular oil but now ive decided to switch. no CEL or anything has come up for the past 15k miles so i guess its working well and it has always been maintained well. im going to switch soon. thanks

Old 05-09-2004, 04:08 PM

I was just kinda wondering what you all thought of synthetic blend motor oils. I am currently using 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthblend in my max.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 AM

after put syn oil in the moter, change it after the first 1000miles. after then following 5k/6months mantenance schedule.