Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Castrol GTX High-milage: The Facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Castrol GTX High-milage: The Facts

What is the general opinion of this dino oil compared to regular GTX?
Is it worth the few extra cents?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:35 AM

Not really, the regular GTX has proven to be an excellent oil and has even outperformed Syntec in a few cases. If you want a better oil, jump to a full synthetic, otherwise, I'd just keep running GTX.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Pizda Boy

Mobil1 baby
Old 05-13-2004, 06:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by flashover
What is the general opinion of this dino oil compared to regular GTX?
Is it worth the few extra cents?
Perhaps there's a difference in the formulations of these specialty products, but as a general "ED"itorial, I will say that i think all of these "hi-mileage", "4X4", "Truck/Van/SUV" specialty oils are marketing hype. Either that or what the major oil companies are really saying is that "we have covinced you to use our regular oils for all this time (which we told you were great), and now your engine needs something more or better" (because your seals have hardened, because our oil can't take the punishment an SUV engine dishes out, etc.). This is consistent with the major oil companies talking out of both sides of their mouths at the same time and looking out for themselves and their shareholders. They make a huge amount of money selling cheaply formulated oil that barely meets minimum API specs, and selling a lot of it. Now, because the average age and mileage of the typical car is creeping up, and/or there are so many trucks and SUV's on the road the oil company marketeers see a huge market for these specialty products...and they are trying to make a lot more money because the specialty oils cost more and they are trying their hardest to convince the public that we need it... If their regular oils were so good to begin with, you wouldn't need to buy these specialty products...and how much better are these specialty products? I don't think they'll ever tell us.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

i hit 90000 miles the other day and i tried the castrol gtx high milage for the first time. i was like what the hell it wont hurt. it doesnt seem to be any better than castrol gtx. but its only the first time i used it ill keep using it and let you guys know.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:38 PM

the high milage oils are usually designed to help fix cracks in your seals and other things. I don't see the point. at 120K with castrol and no issues.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:47 AM
blah

I used Quaker State high milage on '90 626 since it had worn engine seals and had a smoke problem. When the car would start after sitting a long time during a significant temperature change it smoke like crazy. So I started using Quaker State high mileage and it stopped smoking. Any other oil it smokes including Castrol GTX high mileage. So I think the oils are different especially when your engine isn't in perfect condition and has 180000+ miles on it.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Batxel
I used Quaker State high milage on '90 626 since it had worn engine seals and had a smoke problem. When the car would start after sitting a long time during a significant temperature change it smoke like crazy. So I started using Quaker State high mileage and it stopped smoking. Any other oil it smokes including Castrol GTX high mileage. So I think the oils are different especially when your engine isn't in perfect condition and has 180000+ miles on it.
Same here. I had a two small leaks on my 91 Explorer with 150,000 miles, one of which was on the back of the driver side valve cover. I ran Valvoline Maxlife and Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine, both stopped one leak and the other was down to the size of a pea when I sold the car.

I still run Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine in my wifes 93 Sable but am not seeing the same benefits. May try Castrol GTX High Mileage.