Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

time for major tune-up, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:13 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

time for major tune-up, have some questions

i bought m car when it had 92k miles on it. I now have 109k miles. i have only done regular oil changes and have no idea if the car had its 90k mile tune up, so to be on the safe side i will be doing everything this weekend. i will be putting in a 300z fuel filter, changing the coolent and fan belts and i will look at the plugs. i will also be doing oil change and tranny flush, but i have a couple of questions about thoes first.

Tranny:

i just had a rebuilt tranny put in about 8-9k miles put in. about 2k miles after it was put in i replaced my passenger side axle, which caused about 3/4 of a quart of oil to spill out. after the job was done i filled it back up with Mag 80W-90 gear oil. i would like to flush the tranny and refil it with Redline-MT synthetic, but is it even worth it to do it now? or should i wait a few months till i put in my new clutch?

Oil:

I will obviously change the filter, and also want to switch over to synthetic, probobly Amsoil TSO Series 2000 0W/30 Synthetic, i take it this can be purchased any any local auto zone or kragen?

my final question is about sea foam. how do i use it and where do i put it? do i let it run through teh engine before or after i change all the fluids? thanks and sorry for the long post.

edit:sorry, one more thing. in the How-tos under coolent replacement, it says that i should use a 50/50 mixture of water and coolant, well what is the measurment of this 50/50 mixture? ie. do i use a full quart of coolant? also, what type of coolant do you recomend?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:45 AM

i would like to flush the tranny and refil it with Redline-MT synthetic, but is it even worth it to do it now? or should i wait a few months till i put in my new clutch?

Now is good.

My final question is about sea foam. how do i use it and where do i put it? do i let it run through teh engine before or after i change all the fluids?

This post should answer most of your questions. https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/308576-antenna-what-fuse.html.

edit:sorry, one more thing. in the How-tos under coolent replacement, it says that i should use a 50/50 mixture of water and coolant, well what is the measurment of this 50/50 mixture? ie. do i use a full quart of coolant? also, what type of coolant do you recomend?

If you do a FULL flush using distilled water until the only thing that drains out was distilled water, then you can just fill the radiator up with straight antifeeze. This will give you a 50/50 mix. It is recommended that you use the Nissan Long Life Antifreeze but if you do a FULL flush then you can change to Toyata Red or Honda Blue OEM Antifreeze. Here is a link to some good instructions for changing your coolant. http://www.motorvate.ca. Have fun.

[/QUOTE]