Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Synthetic Oil = Bad for the Maxima???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Synthetic Oil = Bad for the Maxima???

I went to the dealership to purchase a new transmission-pan gasket, along with a fuel filter. The parts guy told me in passing "Make sure you put quality ATF in there." I asked about synthetic, and he shook his head and blurted out "NO!"

We talked a little, then I asked about synthetic oil for the engine?

"NO!" again was the response.

Following is his explanation; I am open to second opinions.

According to Joe Partsguy at the Nissan dealership, my 98 Maxima is "not set up" for synthetic oils. He explained how although synthetics are great quality and provide good benefits, they are too fine for our engines. The synthetic oil is finer so (over time) it seeps through seals and etc. He explained that using a synthetic oil on a car that was not manufactured with synthetic use in mind is a big no-no. The seals will being seeping much earlier than normal, and this, in-turn, will cause other problems.

What do you all think?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think he has no idea what he is talking about.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Jeff92SE,

Do you have any proof (theories) to negate his claims, or is it purely opinion?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have the entire fluids/lubricants section for proof and to negate his claims.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:07 PM

I'm not an expert at all, but there are a LOT of people on here that use sythetic oil in there cars without problems.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:09 PM

exspecially me, even my cousin who is a mechanic at gm use synthetic he wont touch anything else
Old 01-10-2005, 03:11 PM

I don't think that problems would begin immediately. I am looking at a medium- to long-term window over which the damage could occur. I have used synthetic for nearly two years and have not seen any leaks. I would like more substantiation if anyone can provide it.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Synthetics are superior in every way and function. Don't believe me? Read the section I referred to.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM

I remember reading somewhere that it was bad to switch from synthetic back to regular oil. I don't know if that's factual, though, but switching back if you feel that synthetic is bad can be more damaging.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
OU > *

How about you ask Joe Partsguy for more substantiation?

His claims are totally ridiculous and there are plenty (in the hundreds) of Max owners on here who have had and continue to have excellent results with synthetic fluids. Go spend some time at www.bobistheoilguy.com and you will learn plenty about the LONG TERM benefits of synthetics.

Originally Posted by cam_honestiam
I don't think that problems would begin immediately. I am looking at a medium- to long-term window over which the damage could occur. I have used synthetic for nearly two years and have not seen any leaks. I would like more substantiation if anyone can provide it.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM

Sure, my coworker has a 1982 Maxima with over 200,000 miles on Mobil 1 and has had absolutely no problems with the car other than the normal, like tires, brakes etc. He leaks no oil. Is a 13 year old Maxima good enough proof for ya
Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 PM

Listen to soonr1. Go to bobistheoilguy.com. That site is dedicated to oil and the expertise over there extend much further than a "parts guy".
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 PM

Wow and he works at Nissan? How is synthetic "thinner" than regular oil? 5w30 is 5w30 in weight either way... this is sad...

Synthetic not only has superior detergents, it also has a much higher heat tolerance.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:43 PM

My dealership also told me not to listen to the octane requirments and to use 87 octane
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM

"My dealership also told me not to listen to the octane requirments and to use 87 octane" By VIRUS

Tell your dealer to read thier own owners manual and it will say "or equivalent" for motor oil and ATF. For the octane he also needs to read the owners manual and it says 91 (recommended). I did the same today and had to show the service rep here in Alaska before he shut his mouth. But he knew that AMSOIL was a superior product but didn't want it in my Maxima.....WHATEVER. So right then and then I gave him the AMSOIL product and had him read the API readings and on the ATF he read the dexron III and other info. His jaw hit the ground and didn't say much after that.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:17 AM

ok lets put it this way, my cars the oldest of all of yours here (so far) and i use synthetic with out any oil leaks....now ATF is another story
Old 01-11-2005, 06:17 AM

The only way seals leak is from improper oil maintenance. Period.

Regular oil, if not properly changed, can gunk up and dry out seals. Once the seal drys it cracks. Put in a synthetic oil and it will clean up all the "gunk" left over from the oil. Voila, the dried crack is revealed and the oil leaks.

Put back in a regular oil and it will gunk up the dry crack. Voila, your leak is fixed.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
The only way seals leak is from improper oil maintenance. Period.

Regular oil, if not properly changed, can gunk up and dry out seals. Once the seal drys it cracks. Put in a synthetic oil and it will clean up all the "gunk" left over from the oil. Voila, the dried crack is revealed and the oil leaks.

Put back in a regular oil and it will gunk up the dry crack. Voila, your leak is fixed.

Exactly. Joepartsguy is going off old wisdom that says if you put synthetic oil in a poorly maintained car you might see leaks. Heck, if you do anything to a poorly maintained car you might see anything leak.

Read bobistheoilguy.com to learn more. Switching to syn, or going back and forth from dino to syn or mixing oils is not a problem. If it was, then there would be only one type of oil. The past 5 cars I've had were all switched to synthetic with no problems and they all saw 150k miles before being sold.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 AM

http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp bottom of the page.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:25 PM

The guy was right. You should not use synthetic oils in older engines. Says so in my Chilton's Nissan Pathfinder manual. If you change your oil every 3,000 miles and not getting anywhere near redline then you are not really getting any benefits with synthetic oil. Not worth it.

The book says regular oil has better detergents for the older cars and a few other things but I am not going to dig out the book. It did say something about it being more slippery and an older engine is not going to get the benefits of it's slipperyness.

I wouldn't put synthetic in my cars 95 max with 240,000 and 87 pathfinder 4x4 with 230,000 miles. Yes, I run 87 octane in both and get great gas mileage in both. Even beat a new 350z at the light today. He was pissed.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the give the oil companies a hand out with their "superior" synthetics and gas additives. I wouldn't use it in new engines either.

I think the guy was giving you some good advice especially with the thransmission fluid.

The VQ30DE is the best V6 ever produced and mine is tip top shape, just need to get rid of the crappy plastic intake bs.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:38 PM

And the manual was published in what year? "Regular oils have better detergents for the older cars". What a load of crap! ""an older engine is not going to get the benefits of it's slipperyness". Your a comedian aren't you?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
And the manual was published in what year? "Regular oils have better detergents for the older cars". What a load of crap! ""an older engine is not going to get the benefits of it's slipperyness". Your a comedian aren't you?

I didn't write it. I could check when the book was copyrighted. I am sure it was about 1998.

You are only using your oil for 3,000 miles anyways. You want to spend more money and get a piece of mind, do it. I have about 500,000 miles on two nissan engine V6's and I know I don't have to worry about engine oil.

Spend it.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:28 PM

that just prove anyone can work at a dealership
even i know synthetic oil is better for a car then regular crude oil
and im a moron when it come to cars
however ,maybe he meant an oil car that have been using regular oil through out. and if you one day decide to switch to synthetic oil the engine might startin leaking
Old 01-14-2005, 07:38 PM

It's in a Chilton's book bro. A big difference than being on the internet. Personally I would like to have the real thing. It's good to know my car is using dinosaur weed.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
It's in a Chilton's book bro. A big difference than being on the internet. Personally I would like to have the real thing. It's good to know my car is using dinosaur weed.
Oh please, Chiltons? The only thing that Chilton's does well is assemble incomplete, vague, and half-correct info. OK, maybe that's a tad harsh, but it's far from being THE definitive source. That malarky about old engines is just an old, unproven legend. Can you offer any specific, mechanical explanation for how or why a good syn won't deliver the same benefit to an older engine as it will a new one? Not scientific at all, but I've even seen Mobil-1 (15w-50) perform well in a former neighbor's Model-A Ford.

You want real? Well, particularly with PAO syns, the syn is actually more "real" than the "dino" stuff. The PAO molecule is, in effect, simply modeled after natural lube stock hydrocarbon molecules. With the syn, though, you get only molecules with the desired size, shape, and properties, and none of the extra sludge-making crud that comes out of the oil well that can't be economically refined out of the natural stuff. PAO syns are just very pure, very "real" hydrocarbon lubes. Most commonly available PAO based oil: Mobil-1.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 PM

Oh please. Did your Maxima come from the factory with synthetic oil? Does the manual say "Oh please, put the highest price oil you can find in this car, because it deserves it?"

Model A ford? That thing could probably run on cooking oil.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Actually, I've got a G35 not a Max, but that' beside the point -- same engine. Actually, Corvettes, Porsches, most Mercedes-Benz cars, and a few others do come with synthetic in their engines, right from the factory. It's only more expensive if you only look at the per bottle price. If you take full advantage of the superiority of syn, it's really not. I have laboratory analysis results that clearly show that I can run synthetic for a full year in my wife's Sequoia (low mileage vehicle) and for 10-15k in my G35 (though I add a mid term filter change just for peace of mind. I'm now at around 20 years and about 500k miles of experience with syns, and I've had zero problems with any of my engines, in fact, they've all looked new engine spotless, even well into the six-figure mileage range. Anyway, you got any lab data to support your position on dino vs. syns??? I do.

And Model-A Ford is far harder on oil than you can imagine -- no filter, high blow-by, poor cooling, no controlled CCV, and so forth.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Look. We have discussed this very subject more times than you know. Synthetics are superior to dino oil in every way shape and form. Read the stickies for more information.

Originally Posted by Armelius
Oh please. Did your Maxima come from the factory with synthetic oil? Does the manual say "Oh please, put the highest price oil you can find in this car, because it deserves it?"

Model A ford? That thing could probably run on cooking oil.