Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

overfilled engine oil...what now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:04 PM

overfilled engine oil...what now?

Well since the price of a synthetic oil change is absolutely ridiculous I change my own oil now. I have changed the oil on several cars before so it was relatively easy except for one thing. Reading the oil dipstick is a pain. It seems like you have to let the car sit for a half hour in between starts to get an accurate reading. Anyway I put like three and a half quarts into it and then started it and backed it off the ramps. I let it sit for a while then added oil until it was at the full mark. I noticed that the rear seal is starting to seep oil so now (about two weeks later) I go to check the oil to see if it has lost any significant amount by now and the oil is above the full mark! Actually it is overfilled by about half of the distance between the low and full marks on the dipstick. Im guessing that it is about a half quart too full, right? Is this going to hurt anything?
How could I have put too much in? I bought a five quart jug of mobil 1 supersyn and used what looks like just over four quarts. The max takes 4.25 quarts right?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
Well since the price of a synthetic oil change is absolutely ridiculous I change my own oil now. I have changed the oil on several cars before so it was relatively easy except for one thing. Reading the oil dipstick is a pain. It seems like you have to let the car sit for a half hour in between starts to get an accurate reading. Anyway I put like three and a half quarts into it and then started it and backed it off the ramps. I let it sit for a while then added oil until it was at the full mark. I noticed that the rear seal is starting to seep oil so now (about two weeks later) I go to check the oil to see if it has lost any significant amount by now and the oil is above the full mark! Actually it is overfilled by about half of the distance between the low and full marks on the dipstick. Im guessing that it is about a half quart too full, right? Is this going to hurt anything?
How could I have put too much in? I bought a five quart jug of mobil 1 supersyn and used what looks like just over four quarts. The max takes 4.25 quarts right?
Nothing is going to happen if you fill in 1/4-1/2 quart in excess. Just enjoy!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM

That little wont do much but if you did over fill it wayyy too much the crank will end up hitting the oil in the pan causing it to foam up. If the oil pump sucks all this foamy oil up, it wont be throwing any oil onto the valves and cams... then yer screwed
Old 01-18-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Did you measure how much drained out? Run the car and park it. After about an hour, go back and pull out the dipstick. The oil should be very clear (amber). If it's darkish already, there is the possiblity you didn't drain all of it out. You did change the oil filter at the same time right?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:17 PM

An overfill like you're describing is probably not going to hurt anything. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can get a suctioning siphon from an auto parts place and suck out the excess.

BTW, I've just gotta know -- is the dipstick in the Max's version of the VQ as awful as the one in the G35? I'm lucky to get a reading I can actually read, even after waiting, and it takes the dexterity and patience of a neurosurgeon to thread the stick back into that tiny little hole way down there. . .
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

The way I see it is you get ONE chance at a decent reading. Once you pull the stick out and shove it in, it coats the tube with oil. So when you pull it out again, it slides against the tube, it collects oil and ruins any chance at a decent reading. So in the morning after it's been sitting all night is a good time.

Originally Posted by Torkaholic
An overfill like you're describing is probably not going to hurt anything. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can get a suctioning siphon from an auto parts place and suck out the excess.

BTW, I've just gotta know -- is the dipstick in the Max's version of the VQ as awful as the one in the G35? I'm lucky to get a reading I can actually read, even after waiting, and it takes the dexterity and patience of a neurosurgeon to thread the stick back into that tiny little hole way down there. . .
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Did you measure how much drained out? Run the car and park it. After about an hour, go back and pull out the dipstick. The oil should be very clear (amber). If it's darkish already, there is the possiblity you didn't drain all of it out. You did change the oil filter at the same time right?
I didn't measure how much came out when I drained it. The oil on the dipstick looks nice and clean though. I told my boss about this and he said that maybe since I drained the oil while the car was on ramps that maybe not all of it came out. But since I started it and then put it on level ground before I filled it to the full mark I don't think that this is the problem. Maybe next time I will underfill it just a little and then let it sit overnight before I add the last little bit into the engine.
Edit: I did change the filter too with a OEM one. I didn't put any oil in the filter either before I filled the engine. I just coated the gasket with a little bit.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 AM

Jeff92se is totally correct. It is a royal pain just to check your oil. On my old cars I checked the oil while I stopped to get gas. Not on this car, no way. You pull that dipstick out after the car has been running recently and there is oil all over the place. Wipe it, put it back in and check it again and you still have oil everywhere. I guess you just have to check it in the mornings before you run it.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Nothing is going to happen if you fill in 1/4-1/2 quart in excess. Just enjoy!!!
Im not positive how overfilled it is. If you look at the distance on the dipstick in between the full and low marks, it is overfilled by about half of that distance...does that make sense at all? Im guessing that the distance in between the low and high marks on the stick represent about one quart right? So if it is over by half that much it is half a quart too full. Is my logic not correct?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
Im not positive how overfilled it is. If you look at the distance on the dipstick in between the full and low marks, it is overfilled by about half of that distance...does that make sense at all? Im guessing that the distance in between the low and high marks on the stick represent about one quart right? So if it is over by half that much it is half a quart too full. Is my logic not correct?
I have seen cars that were an inch above high mark, it is better to run with a little more than the high mark than less than the low mark. Ideally just close to the high mark is what I fill with oil changes --- over time with oil consumption it comes to the middle. In short, don't worry.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM

I have seen the dipstick in the 350Z ( same as G), boy do I feel sorry for RWD (VQ) application oil checkers. The VQ in FWD applications is in PLAIN VIEW and is EASY to pull out and put back in.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 AM

geeze you guys dont think, jsut pull off your filter, it will drain about 1/4-1/2

plug it back in then try filling it correctly again,

if you are still too much after removing the oil filter and draining that the first time, then jsut turn car on, drive a few minutes, and then go back and take filter out again, voila! another 1/4-1/2 out! repeat as neccassary